3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many Tomahawk Shooters here?  (Read 283 times)

Offline BIG GAME

• Trad Bowhunter
How many Tomahawk Shooters here?
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
I just recently purchased a Woodland Hunter 62" 55@28"  and pull 30".  Just curious what you guys are shooting and your favorite set up.  Brace height, arrows, quiver, string material, etc.  Pictures would be great and yes I will post pictures of my set up when I get it her down.
Thanks,
Traver
Lord of the Lynx

"One bow to rule them all"

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many Tomahawk Shooters here?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Traver,
I think I am up to 5 Tomahawks now all of them outfitted with Great Northern bow quivers. I have two 1 piece, two 2 piece, and one of the new Tomahawk Legacy 3 piece longbows.  All of them I shoot a little different brace, just tune the bow to where they shoot the best.  I make my own strings 15 strand TS-1 with FF serving.  Mainly I've been shooting cedar or Carbon Tech panthers out of them.  Great shooting bows. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I have had 3 , sold my 3 piece Tomahawk SS T/D this summer. Wish it was back here. Nice simple longbow. Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline BIG GAME

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Hoping to see a couple pictures of the four different bows.
Lord of the Lynx

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
I have the one piece Diamond series SS in 55# as well as the new Legacy series Woodland hunter limbs in 60#. The Legacy series is one heck of a bow. I am shooting it with a 16 strand ff plus string using arrow dynamics shafting with 100 grain inserts and 175 grain points. I don't use bow quivers so I just use my Arrowmate Elite side quiver when carrying either one.
James Kerr

Offline tonitrui arcus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
I'm currently hunting with the one piece SS Diamond @ 50 lbs with POC shafts and 135 grain Broadheads.
"In the valley of the blind the one eyed man is King"
~Desiderius Erasmus (c. 1466-1536), Adagia (c. 1500)

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
My wife and I both shoot Tomahawks....I'll see if I can get a photo.
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »

Ok Traver, got a pic of most of my Tomahawks.  Now they ain't pretty cause there huntin' bows and a couple need refinished right now.  They get used and it shows.

From the bottom: #1 is my first Tomahawk which is a two piece sleeve takedown Thunderstorm that I got around 12 years ago. #2 is a two piece bar take down custom with walnut lams and maple/carbon/bamboo core. #3 is another custom. One piece Indian Rosewood riser w/osage accents/bamboo core and black walnut lams.  #4 Is my most recent addition Tomahawk Legacy serial #3 with proto foam carbon limbs and a beaver tail handle that a friend put on for me.  I like shooting them all but I've been hunting with the Legacy this past year and it is a great shooting bow. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Those are some beautiful tomahawks! I was unaware that you could have them custom made with different woods. What is the price difference between them and their standard bows?
James Kerr

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
Here are some pictures of my Tomahawks
First up my Tomahawk Legacy series

James Kerr

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
You can't really see the beauty of the camo limb veneers in those pictures. The veneer is just slightly darker than those in 3 rivers pictures of the Tomahawk Diamond series Woodland hunter
James Kerr

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
My diamond series SS

James Kerr

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
James,
Those are nice, how do you like your Legacy?  I really like the feel of the one piece longbow but once I started shooting it I serious like how it feels and shoots.

They will make custom Tomahawks.  It requires a non refundable deposit, will take longer, and it also base on availability of woods.  The rosewood for the riser on my one piece I tracked down myself.  Cost difference varies just based on materials.

Offline BIG GAME

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Dino,
Thanks for the pictures, I talked to Art at 3 Rivers to see if I could have some different woods in the riser.  He said if it was available and probably 4 months out.  I am so bummed right now the Woodland Hunter was supposed to be delivered yesterday in Montana and it is still sitting somewhere in Mississippi and they can't seem to find it.  I really wanted to shoot that thing this weekend.  Oh well.
Lord of the Lynx

Offline BIG GAME

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
James,
I really like the looks of the Yew in the SS bows.  I have heard the Legacy is a real nice shooter.
Lord of the Lynx

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Dino I like the ss alot but itn my opinion the legacy is a bit better. The ss is super smooth with little to no handshock depending on how heavy of an arrow you use, but the legacy is even smoother and is a bit faster as far as I can tell
James Kerr

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
James, don't want to tempt ya but I have both foam core and wood core legacy limbs and the foams aren't much faster but they are smoother yet than the wood core limbs.  I was hooked on them from the first time I shot them and haven't put my wood limbs back on since. I was really pleased with the woods just as you said and they sling an arrow hard.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
I have looked at the foam core limbs and would probably like the way they shoot alot. I personally prefer the look of wooden veneers on a limb and as far as I know everyone who makes foam cored limbs uses carbon on the back and belly of the limbs.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©