3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hitman static tip recurve pass around review  (Read 519 times)

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hitman static tip recurve pass around review
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Dave Heniff, Hitman Longbows, posted that he was building a static tip recurve and wanted some folks to participate in a pass around. Fortunate for me I was the first on the list. Here is the bow and she is a real looker.

I received the bow just before Thanksgiving and was headed out on a mule deer hunt so I really did not get her set up until I got back. I'll post more pics and some observations on what I experienced with Dave's new creation.       :campfire:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hitman static tip recurve pass around review
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I had never shot a static tip recurve before and with all the recent posts about this design from several bowyers I was anxious to give one a try. My current hunting bow for comparison is a Blacktail Elite VL 50# @ 28 ... the Hitman was 48# @ 28 and both bows 62".

I shoot CE 150's out of my Blacktail with 145 grn field points, those did not shoot out of the Hitman too well and I finally settled in on some 530 grn 60/65 woodies that flew very nicely.

The grip was what I call a medium as opposed to the high of my Blacktail. It fit me very well, I like a smaller grip, and soon my arrows were flying right where I was looking.

The draw was smooth, no hand shock, and was quiet. I did add some cushioning to the string grooves that helped a bit. Dave had put whiskers on and I did not play with changing them since others will be getting a chance to tinker with her too.

The speed was comparable to my Blacktail at 50#, I do not have any measuring equipment so this was a feel observation. I have shot perhaps 300 arrows through this bow and feel very comfortable with it. I may have had too much of an expectation on speed and quiet but this bow for me is a definate shooter and I do not have any negatives to report other than it took me awhile to get a good arrow match up. I did not try broad heads on the final arrow match, maybe I can do that tomorrow before I ship her off to New York. I have some Tree Sharks that are glue on's.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Hopefully Dave can chime in and tell you about the woods in this bow. I'll add some more pics too.

The tips were much wider than I have seen on most recurves.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I put some 135 grain Simmons glue on Tree Sharks on the woodies this morning to compare to the field points ... they shot perfectly    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  also moved the brace up to 7 7/8" and  that  turned the sound into a whisper.

My overall impressions of Dave's creation are very positive, a fine bow and I have owned LOTS of bows !  

I am going to be sorry to see this bow go, it's on to Drewsbow in New York ... enjoy

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Wow, that is a good looking bow!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Ken thanks for the great feedback and look forward to more.
The handle has cocobolo main beam with para feuro front and back with black glass inlays and maple between them.  The limbs are a nice bocote veneers over red elm cores and with an old piece of carbon that really didn't do as much as I hoped to performance in speed.  It is really some stuff I had laying around when I glued them up and checking out the limb design.  
The limb tips are at 7/8" and widest part of limb to be 1 5/8" for stability in the limb.  This is what I have settled with for the stability in lateral movement.  
I have built the limb in a 5/8" tip but feel that I have better finish results with the 7/8" and only lost 2 fps.  
Thanks Ken for the fine work and hope you enjoyed shooting the bow.  I look forward to the next fella shooting the bow and his review.
Thanks and good shooting,
dave

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
That's good shooting Ken!!!

Was that at 8 yards or 10?

:saywhat:    :laughing:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline HawkeyeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Sounds like it's a shooter! great pictures, that is definately a gorgeous bow!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
Doc   ... you've seen me shoot    :biglaugh:   Your close, but add them both together and you have it .. that was from 18 yards and shooting a bit uphill. Fun bow to shoot, anxious to see what the other folks will think. Just dropped it off to the Post Office  for the trip to New York.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
Great to hear Ken and best wishes to you as you finish your hunting season.
Dave

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Can't wait , what a beauty
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
looks great, if its anything like the longbow pass around then im sure it shoots awesome. Loved that longbow
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Just arrived but its raining maybe I will get to shoot it more tomorrow. I shot a dozen arrows quick and so far I am impressed . Thanks
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Great to hear and look forward to your review.
Dave

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
You can see what Drewsbow had to say on his own new post.  He has some really nice pics and talks about the bow.
Thanks
DAve

Offline FOX SQUIRREL NUTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
When do you expect to offer these for sale?

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
Just recieved the hitman static recurve and have had a chance to shoot it a little...but not extensively.

My first impression when I put it together was..."Wow!" the bocote is absolutely amazing. I strung it and pulled it back. At first I thought it pulled harder than 48# and so I compared it to my 55# static single piece recurve...nevermind it feels just about right. I just hadn't shot in a bout a week.

I noticed something about the bow when I took it out to shoot...when I pull it back to my 31" draw the tips almost feel like they give it some let off...it was really throwing me off...but in a good way. It almost feels like it will stack then you get the tips moving and it feels smooth as can be. Anyone else notice this?

I don't have a chrono but compared to the sigle piece static it shoots right there speed wise...but feels much more stable. At my long draw it turns my arrows into absolute missiles. I feel like it quite a bit quiter than my other take-down recurve (not static) and far smoother.

I hope to add some pics if I can get to it this week. This bow is awesome, and I am very impressed with the performance. I would be happy to have this bow! LEt me know if you have any questions.

Steve
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Steve, glad to see the bow arrived in good condition.
It seems you have the same first impressions I had of the bow. Top of the line workmanship and easy to handle. It shoots as good as it looks. I think you will find it compares to shooting bows heavier in weight than it is.
No doubt about it Dave makes a great shooting bow.

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed the bow with your draw. This bow design is a year or so in the making. I really put a lot of RD in it and am excited about the results. I'm a longbow shooter but have been shooting one myself with great results. So we will see how this plays out
Good shooting
Dave

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by hitmanlongbows:
I'm glad you enjoyed the bow with your draw. This bow design is a year or so in the making. I really put a lot of RD in it and am excited about the results. I'm a longbow shooter but have been shooting one myself with great results. So we will see how this plays out. These static bows are for sale now. The costs start at $725 with black glass. They are more difficult to build then the recurve and longbow.
Good shooting
Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©