3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recurve length-what is too short?  (Read 633 times)

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
recurve length-what is too short?
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Been bitten by the Bear bug and am wanting another recurve. I currently have 2 and 1 longbow with the lenghts of 62 & 66 on the recurves and 68 on the longbow. I have read that the shorter bows of 58" or less can be tough to shoot. I only draw 27" and shoot 3 under so finger pinch is not a problem. What is your experience shooting shorter bows? Is longer definetly more forgiving?

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: recurve length-what is too short?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
I had a 48" supermag and it shot well just touch on release due to the string angle.  However the high brace  helped some.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Everyone is different. I dont like shooting recurves under 64" and prefer 66". For all hunting.
My buddy will not shoot anything over 58".
You've really got to shoot to see. No two bows of the same length are equal either.
A 60" Bear does not shoot the same as a 60" Fazio Ballistik. If you can get to a shop that has the shorter bows, it will be worth your while to shoot them for yourself. You might love them, you might not.
David M. Conroy

Offline Rifle River Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
I actually prefer a shorter bow and have been shooting for over 50yrs.
My newest bow is a Don Dow 54" longbow,shoots great.

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
I like shorter bows.  I have a 46# '65 Kodiak Magmun that is as fast as a couple of 50# bows I have and it's a lot handier. My draw length is 28+" and I could not tell you what finger pinch is because I have never experienced it. But, I have small hands and my release is pretty consistent. I think your form has to be good to shoot a shorter bow as they are less forgiving of form errors.

Some very good shooters like them and some don't.
The best thing is to try different bows and see what works for you.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I draw 26". My LONGEST bow is 54". My shortest are 2 46" Maddog Machetes.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Personal decision.  I draw 31" and shot a 60inch recurve.  I find that how a bow draws is much more important than its length.  I perfer the shortest bow that I can shoot accurately.

Online twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I would love to shoot one of the Toelke Kestrel recurves @52 inches.      All of their bows draw so smooth I find it hard to believe that would not be the case with that one...

Offline duffer1565

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
In most instances longer seems to be more forgiving , with that said in some bow designs now its not always the case. Also being your draw is 27" you should have no problem shooting a k mag which is only 52" long . I have 2 and shoot same as you with no problems at all . Hoots also makes a great short recurve .
60" Firefly 48#@28"
60" Big Jim Buffalo 48#@28"

58" BW PSA IV 48# @ 28"
58" Firefly Messenger Static Recurve 47# @ 28"

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
critman i shoot horse bows of 50" and 52" and they are easy to shoot no finger pinch and i  have a  27" draw and when i get tired a 26" draw and its no problem at all   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I'm 6'3" and draw 30" and longer is definately more forgiving.  The finger pinch I get on shorter bows (below 58") make them uncomfortable for long days of shooting, and my release suffers as well.

I like the 66" and 62" field bows (recurves) for shooting - and I hunt with a 62" Explorer - but for hunting in a tree stand the 58" is a lot handier.  Shorter than 58" I can't say as I never owned one and most guys won't let me try theirs.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
I always liked a 58" Recurve, but I shoot longer ones much better overall. 60-66" ,longer is better for me!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
27" draw.  For me I want a bow 60" or longer.  Doesn't have to do with finger pinch, but being able to have a nice group of arrows.  I think shorter bows tend to shoot faster for me, but in the end they get sold or traded.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
My personal experience is to double your draw length  as a minimum bow length. I'd say this is especially true if you shoot with more of a target style(ie. hold at full draw while aiming)

I have a 30 inch draw and 60" bows are my minimum but like 62 inches better(recurves).

JMO
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
I draw 28 and I like a 56 inch bow
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
I have a 27.5" draw and I find that I can shoot bows that are 52" okay but do better with bows 54-56" and longer.
James Kerr

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
I'm only 5'6" and have a 26" draw.  One would think I'd like bows 56" and shorter just fine. I have a couple 56" bows but I prefer 60".  

I've done no objective evaluation of the 56, 58, 60, or 62" recurves I shoot. The longer ones just feel better to me.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
Had a bear Kodiak Mag back in the day. It was 52" and I got finger pinch and stacking from it and I only have a 27" draw.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
As has been Stated you gotta shoot it to see. I have a 52" Browning that is 54#, I use it for carping and get no finger pinch with my 31+" draw.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Bob Morrison's MAX I limbs have radical recurves. There is minimal string pinch at 28" with a 56" bow. Currently he is shooting a 52" bow with a 26" draw. His MAX I limbs are amazing to shoot and you can go real short with them. I was going to get 58" limbs but decided that the 56" limbs on my wife's bow were really nice for me and my style of shooting and blind hunting. Fast, quiet and accurate.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©