3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow weight advise  (Read 357 times)

Offline John L

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow weight advise
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
All:

I am moving to traditional archery full time.  I have a 55 lb Martin X-200 - its too much for me and need to reduce.

Back ground: I am 62 yrs old & in decent shape. Will shoot for roving, target, small game and Deer.

Looking at 45lbs but am not sure how effective it would be for deer at 25 maybe 30 yds when I get back into taditional shooting shape.

Also in the market for a new bow - have looked at the prices and find it hard to believe that to get a real good bow you need to spend $600 +.

Am looking for ideas as to a bow and weight that I can shoot for another 10 - 15 yrs or so.

In advance - thanks for all thoughts.

John

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow weight advise
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
tons of game killed with 45#'s. biggest thing is accuracy and to shoot the proper arrow and have everything tuned properly. Bows are very expensive but there are lots of used ones around. good luck.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
I agree 45# should be just fine and you might look at some of the less expensive bows to start with.  I've heard good things about the Samick bows for the price which starts around 150.00.  Also check the used bow list on Big Jims, he had some nice bows at good prices last time I checked.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
John, I'm 67+ and have recently bought a new bow, going down to 45#. I say "going down" because it's the lightest draw weight I've had in a loooooong time, and couldn't be happier. I enjoy shooting it and am very confident with it. It shoots plenty hard. About thirty years ago I was shooting 71#, but have been decreasing in weight with every new bow I buy since. With todays designs and materials (admittedly something you have to pay for) I feel 45# is more than adequate.
      Just one of many suggestions: if you want to get into ILF (International Limb Fit), get you a nice riser you like and expeirment with different limb weights.  This can be done a little cheaper if you go with "used " equipment.

Will
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
45 is more than enough.  A sharp broadhead put in the right spot from a 45# bow will do the job.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
45 is plenty with a sharp broadhead and a well placed shot.  I recommend a single blade (double edge) head like a Stos or Magnus II for wood arrows.

You can get a fantastic bow for $100.  Look for a used Red Wing Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Browning Wasp or a Bear Kodiak Hunter.  As good, or better, than the majority of modern "custom" bows.  For $150 you get up into mid to top-end Brownings and  Bear Kodiaks.  $200 you're up into Howatts and top-end Wings.

A $100 41# Red Wing Hunter in LH

I just got a 47# RH idenical to it for $96.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
I'm 68 and the friends I shoot with are 66 and 78.  We all shot 65# bows when we were younger. Now we all shoot bows that are in the 40-45# range for our draw lengths. The good part is, we are enjoying it as much as we ever did.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
John,

What is your draw length?  Also, what type of bow are you looking to buy?  There are R/D longbows out there that are very easy on the body, super stable and have no hand shock.  Also due to design, are very fast at 45 pounds and have near recurve speeds -  will blow through any deer on the planet at 30 yards.  A new custom bow can be made for you for anywhere between 400 to 1200 dollars.

I also sent you a PM.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
I recommend starting out with a cheaper bow or used bow if you can find one, until you find out it you want to stick with it or not. Lots of deer have fallen to well placed arrows from 40-45# bows. Once you have decided whether or not you want to stick with it then it is time to move up to a more expensive custom bow built just for you.
James Kerr

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Yeah, my wife tells a story about how much she enjoyed the fall evening when she watched mne shoot a buck in Michigan.  It was an 80# longbow, and it is so unimportant now.  45#, putting the arrow in the same place would have been every bit as good. I've faced the facts of aging and have learned from it. I'm about your age, and I don't know how much weight I will handle in 15 years....but, I damned sure plan to be there to try!!!!   If 25# is the magic number, then I'm gonna be there, doing my best to get it all the way back!  Doggone it, I've come to understand why those old farts drive longer than they should!  I am planning to stretch all the rules about driving AND shooting a bow!(but, when that time comes, you guys might NOT WANT TO BE IN THE FOURSOME SHOOTING IN FRONT OF US!!!  

Hey, buy the bow you want to shoot.  If it costs too much...well, then your heirs will just have to get by!!!!!  To paraphrase those T-shirt slogans: No one ever went to their grave thinking "I wish I'd shot my bow less, or spent less time hunting!"
Tom

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
#45 very effective on all you plan to do including deer. I'm your age and the 2 bows I've settled on are #48 and #44. Only 3 fps between the two with identical 500gr arrows.
The #48 is a Das Dalaa with carbon foam LB limbs and a joy to shoot. Sends a 500 gr arrow at 173 fps. Bow 2 is a ILF TT Titan with carbon master limbs (I'm picky and can't think of any downside with this bow),and same arrow at 170 fps. I'm pretty sure I've owned a couple dozen bows over the years and these 2 won out as my favorites. Best wishes on your search.
By the way most of the bows owned were used, many bought right here on the classifieds. Trad gang members are top notch!

Offline Jake LaBauve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Samick Sage is a very good bow @ 45# especially when you put a fast flight string on.

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
in the lower poundages, the skinny strings make a big difference. go down to a 6 strang FF or similar on 45# and watch those arrows scream!

As has been said, you can buy 5 fantastic used bows for $600.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
45 #s is fine!I would suggest possibly look for a high quality used bow in the length you like and with a grip you like.

You might even run a wanted add in the classifieds section of tradgang.Your sure to get some responses at reasonable costs.be patient till you find the right bow and price point.

Or a custom from a bowyer that makes a high performance bow to get all you can out of that 45 # bow.If you use it for 10 years it does not cost that much in the long run.

Todays high performance bows,quality strings and  superb broadheads will give you a deadly weapon at 45#s no problem.You just need a well tuned arrow to complete the package and good shot placement.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 03:27:00 AM »
I am 55 years old and suffer from MS. All my bows are between the 45 and 51 lbs. I found out that hybrid bows have a real sweet draw, shoot incredibly fast and are easy to shoot. You don't need to spend a lot; take a look at this site:   http://omegalongbows.webs.com/bowsandotherproducts.htm
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
look, you will be fine shooting a 40 lb bow at deer all day long how ever probally not at 30 yds I would want to keep my shots half that distance.good luck by the way you can get a good huntin bow for 250-300 dollars you dont need to spend a lot of money

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Hey John, You can get some really great bows here for well under $600, just keep an eye out on the calssifieds.  There are tons of great deals here. Good Luck!
Brad

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
If one is going to take a shot straight down at a large deer, a bit more than the minimum poundage could be of some help. However, my wife has proven multiple times and I proved it once that 37  or 38 pounds at 26" of draw with a 420 grain arrow will kill a deer just as dead and even get the arrow going all the way through the deer when hunting on the ground. However, the longest shot with this set-up has been only 25 yards, with shortest being my 18 yards out and shooting about 9 foot up from out of a ravine bottom with a 37 pound Hill.  At almost your age I can still shoot the 90 pounders, but my fingers much prefer that I keep it under 70 pounds. Lately, I have been using 51 pound at 26" r/d longbows, also a 58@26" and a 55@26" Hill style longbow. A 45 pound recurve at 27" should have what I have plus some, and I have had nothing but pass throughs so far with the r/d longbows and the Hill style bows.  I find that taking a 15 yard plus shot at a deer when hunting on the ground can give better penetration than a very close shot with wood arrows, the arrow is flying straighter, the deer can be less aware of what is coming, some sometimes it is easier on the nerves and the form to have to shoot for power, even with a lighter weight bow.  A powerful shot from a bow that is easy for the shooter to shoot is a deadly shot, a weak shot from a heavy bow is rarely a powerful shot or deadly.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
45 pounds is plenty good on it's own. Now add on one of the custom skinny FF strings with a heavy arrow and your 45# bow is now even better. A properly tuned light set up will be far more accurate and enjoyable for you to shoot. Now  you can fully concentrate on what you want to hit and not worry about being able to pull your bow back. I shoot right around 50#.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline John L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
All:

thanks for the numerous replies - more then I thought I would get - appreciate every response.

My draw length is 27" in response to the question.

In review I'll be looking thru the classified ads here as well as other places and may even call around - and will most likely be looking for either a Bear (I'm originally from MI and spent many a summer in Grayling at the Bear shop), Hill or a compsite.

Thanks again - will let you know what happens - though it may take a while.

John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©