3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need a new treestand!  (Read 568 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
need a new treestand!
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
I am struggling with my Lone Wolf Assault. It's just not big enough. I can never get the thing adjusted to fit the tree SOLIDLY. More times than not, the platform is not adjustable to fit even mildly crooked trees, which makes it akward to stand on and shoot.

Looking for a stand that I can take with me every time I hunt, is SILENT (Lone Wolf is not, despite what advertisers say), and safe. This stand shifts around way too much for my liking.

I've used the alpha hang on with better results, like the solidness of the screaming eagle but it's not feasable to carry in and out.

Any ideas???????
Hill

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need a new treestand!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
There certainly are other options, and I'm sure others will chime in.  But before you give up on the LW, have you followed the set up instructions from the dvd?  
To get mine tight I use two straps, and get the stand hung.  Then flip up the platform (while still standing on your steps), tighten the straps again as much as possible, and when you lower the platform it should lock the stand in with a lever action.  Absolutely silent when done right.  It does take some practice though.

Also, if you have an older stand, it may not have the offset bracket installed.  The newer ones come that way, and make adapting to most leaning trees pretty easy.  If yours doesn't have the offset bracket they can be added.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jake LaBauve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
I have a LW Alpha and only use one strap to put it up.  I find that cam locking the stand and using one strap makes it ultra tight.  Here is a good video where just a minute or so in he shows you how to set up the stand.  However I suggest more safety equipment than what he uses.

For the crookedness factor you probably want to add the offset bracket.

That said though I will take a tree saddle over the LW 90% of the time.  I have a Guido's web coming tomorrow so that may now go to 100% of the time.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »
Hmmm. I suspect your not doing something right.  I have ha assault and have no problems getting it tight. Have always been suprised how stable it is. Tightening the strap with the platform raised is the key. Lowering the platform locks it into place. My only issue with noise is the metal cams on the straps clanking on the stand if I'm not careful. Some have used cloth tape to quiet them down. Are you using the linesman's belt when you hang it so you have two hands free?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
My Lone Wolf Alpha is the best stand I've ever owned.  

I will never buy another hang-on stand that doesn't have a bit of adjustment for tree lean.  The Alpha has this.

Another one I just bought but haven't used yet is the "Big Muddy".  It also has tree lean adjustment.

While it isn't necessary, when possible I select trees that have two boles or a pair of trees very close together. When I can do this I like to attach another strap to the front corner of the stand and this "extra" tree stem.  This makes the stand rock solid, front and back.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »
I may be wrong but didn't some of the first assault stands not have the platform adjustments like the larger alpha?

But otherwise follow what Whip said.

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
I have a summit "knock off" called a bushmaster...

Open front for archery hunters, super comfortable! decently light wieght, and packs up nice. I can post pics if you are interested in it?

You mentioned a lock on though, this is a climber...
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
I am dying to try the "Twisted Timber" stands !!! Funds are tight right now or I would have one already.   :banghead:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
The LW stands are good. That being said.....  Just my opinion now and nothing more.....I think they are over priced and possibly over rated even.  I am a big Summit fan and have been using them for quite some time....as others I have looked at and/or tried simply arent any better or most often times not as good as the Summit.  I had a Viper when it first came out....dont remember the year,  but it was made of steel then.  Heavey kind of,  but man....what a solid comfortable stand.  I sold it after owning it for about 5 years or so,   when I purchased the new aluminum version.  I still have that first aluminum Viper as well as a new one purchased 2 seasons ago.  I also own 2 Newer hang on Summits...the RS Falcons.   If you have not already,  maybe look into the Summit Goliath I believe is the model.  It is the largest of their climber line.....essentially a Viper on steriods,  built bigger and for the big boys.  I dont think you can go wrong with a Summit.  Great product and good customer service as well.  But again....this all opinion developed from my personal experiences with them since around 1993 or so.....  give em a good look anyway  :archer2:

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
I use the Alpha and 3 sticks set up like alot of others here.

I use the quick hang hook and a second strap around the bottom versa button.  When I hang the stand on the hook I attach the second strap, then I lift up the platform and cinch it down tight.

The stand is absolutely quiet, solid, and provides enough room.  It's not spacious by any means, but enough room for my purposes.  I suspect the assault would be too small and with the little weight savings the Alpha is the way to go.  

I'd try again on attaching to the tree and you can cure the noise issue.  Of course the size is fixed, but you can always sell and upgrade to the alpha.
>>>--------->

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Forgot to mention.....the RS Falcon hang ons....Aluminum,  with platform adjustment capability for angled tree compensation and such...they mount to the tree with the "talon bracket" system....which allows you to attach and remove this alight aluminum stand with ease for packing in and out on each hunt if desired.  You can purchase a 3 pack of the talon brackets for mulitple stand locations,  using 1 actual tree stand.  Its a slick system!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
I haven't seen a hang on any better than the assault. Maybe bigger, but not easier, quieter, or lighter, or more stable.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Check out Cougar Claw treestands. Made in USA and adjustable.  I like mine.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Screaming Eagles whenever possible , even when they are not . I have been fooling around with a tree-saddle which I like also , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
I replaced all my Lonewolf stands with Chippewa Wedge-locs. They are much easier(and safer) to hang and are very solid and quiet for a light weight stand.

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Chippewa wedge locs are great stands but are going out of business at the end of the year. They only have a few stands left in inventory.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
There is no better stand than the lone wolf assualt in my opinion, I have owned them all.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
I have the 1st year assualt, it has a bolt and holes drilled in it to adjust, it much lighter than the ones they make now. It has a v bracket and not the bat wing. I use it every where. I have the newer but only use it if my other is in the tree.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
I have a twisted timber stand and it nice. I only wish the lpat form was a touch bigger. It not a hang in five second stand but its a great stand once you play with it a bit and figure it out

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
How bout an X-1?
I don't own one (but thinking of buying one), but from an engineering standpoint the newer X-1 stands seem pretty well thought out...and less than 12 pounds packed (!)  Look those up and see what you think, seem to be very well made/designed.  Prolly gonna be my next stand.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©