3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bison Gear Outfitter  (Read 220 times)

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Bison Gear Outfitter
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Question for owners:

This pack is listed at 675 cu in but looks to be larger in photos I've seen.  

How much stuff will this pack hold? A light jacket or vest? I realize it has lash straps.

I would prefer not going to the larger FTE or the Lost River since it will be primarily a treestand pack but at 675 cu in it might not be a big step above the Haversack.

Maybe I'm wrong and the First Trip Exp or Lost River would work fine for a treestand hunt but I would like to hear from those who have used one.

Thanks

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bison Gear Outfitter
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Unless you are carrying a bunch , the Lost River  (I own and use one)would not be my choice for a treestand hunt.  I prefer a fanny pack with lash straps for those.

Unless you are leaving the pack at the base of the tree.  I have done that before, normally with no problem.  I did have a doe stick her head in the pack one time.  I must have had good smelling stuff in there just before, cause she didn't mind all the stink.
ChuckC

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Thank you Chuck.
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. The Lost River did look big for a treestand .

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Hello Bob,

I have an outfitter and I think it is the perfect size for treestand hunting.  Here is my normal set-up.

Left side pocket:
Head lamp
Folding Knife
Ratching Pruning Shears
Field Dressing Gloves
3 Screw in Bow Hooks

Right Side Pocket:
Bottle of wind detector
HS Scent Drag
1 Bottle Buck Scent
1 Bottle Doe Pee

Main Compartment:
7 X 36 Binos with Bino Harness
32oz Bottle Scent Killer
32oz Thermos inside of my hand muff
Bow haul rope
Buck roar grunt tube
Bowhunter grunt tube
Can call
Pack Rack (rattling horns)
extra pair of gloves
extra shooting glove
game tag (upper zippered pouch)
two packs of hand warms (upper zippered pouch)
Linesman belt

Lashed to the top:
KOM Bowhunter Jacket
SI Vest
Hunter Saftey Systems vest

Damn, that seems like alot of stuff, but even with all that I still have plenty of room in the main compartment.

James

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
For Treestand hunting I love the Bison Gear Teton pack.  What a quality, functional pack, and can't believe it is not a more popular choice for a day pack.  I got mine in Fall Grey Wool from Grey Wolf Woolens (a sponsor).
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I think the outfitter should be about the right size for you.  It works out well for me on short hunts or all day hunts.  I have put a light jacket in mine but I usually just strap it on the outside.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
I've got the Lost River now and while it is a great pack it is almost too much for everday treestand hunt. Almost all of my treestand hunting I have to carry in my lonewolf stand so I have no use for the shoulder straps.  I'm considering getting a outfitter for treestand hunting especially early season stuff.  

But for turkey hunting I can stuff my decoys into the lost river and that works nice.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
[/url]  Uploaded with  ImageShack.us  

Here's a picture of the Lost River. Size wise I'm 5'11" and 174 lbs. The vertical side pouches easily hold one of the large 32oz nalgene bottles. This photo was from turkey hunt and so has one or two decoys in it also.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
I actually packed a deer out with my outfitter, 2 hindquarters with legs sticking out and two backstraps . used the  shoulder straps....not very comfortable but it held up great ,no problems for 2 miles. Point being , they take a licking and keep ticking. well made.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Angelo is a great guy to deal with. I own a outfitter

Pro's
The outfitter is WAY bigger than I thought I can carry more gear than with my old bum bag.

The side pockets are nice and big can fit the likes of a GPS and more it one side pocket.

I got Angelo to put additional lash straps on the bottom of mine, just incase I'm bringing out a skull with me I can lash it to my pack.

The normal lash straps are large enough to fit my wet weather gear jacket and pants under one strap.

Shoulder straps are a must, I would hate this pack if it did have them.

Walking through the bush nothing is sticking out to catch vines ect ether from the side or top.

I can fit all my gear for a full day hunt including my lunch in it. I ask for the water bladder system as well. Glad I did to as its big enough to hold a water bladder and alittle extra stuff.

Belt sizing I got a smaller size belt than I usually wear so if I'm stalking on my belly the side pockets don't get in the way.

Con's

The shoulder straps take a while to sit right as everything is adjustable.

I would like to see a piece of elastic around the straps, so if you have a strap flapping around you can tuck it into the elastic loop.

If I had to do it again I would have asked Angelo to sew in a pocket at the bottom for a waterproof cover, so if it's a real downpour I can just pull it out and cover my pack. However the waterproof cover I use it just put in the pack anyway.

Hope this helps.
Richard MOOSE Flett

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
I have an Outfitter pack. Awesome pack. Wish I would've gotten it years ago.

I do find it too big for everyday treestand hunting though. I'm probably going to go to a Haversack for that. But, I don't usually carry too much for everyday treestand hunting.

On the other hand, the Outfitter is about perfect for a full day for roaming away from base camp. Can fit extra clothes/rain gear, water bottle, food, first aid kit, etc. etc.

Highly recommend their products. May be looking at a larger pack for short hunts in the backcountry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©