3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jay Campbell's Book  (Read 642 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Jay Campbell's Book
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I ordered Jay's book "Longbow" last week and received it a few days ago. I have to have another surgery related to my treestand accident from last fall in one week. The last hopefully...4 is enough dammit. Figured I'd order a good book to read while I recovered as it looks like my surgeon is gonna nix any bow drawing for at least 2 weeks. Sadly, I won't be able to read this book during recovery...I BLEW THROUGH IT LAST NIGHT!

It is a great book of short hunting stories written in a way as if Jay has pulled up beside you and told it to you mano-e-mano. I have a collection of books that will never depart my grasp so long as I have a breath: All 3 books by Jay Massey, most of Don Thomas' works, Gene and Barry's contributions, among others. This one will join that group no doubt! Problem is when you start it, you finish it the first day   :)  

Congrats to Jay on a fine book. He is a fighter, a survivor, a true outdoorsman and a fine author    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jay Campbell's Book
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
I got mine this week but I'm trying to save it for my vacation in February. I don't know if I can wait that long though.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Mine came last week (I think)  ;)  Wont see it till Christmass morning (cant wait)  :D

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Got it today. Very good read so far.

Offline anw0625

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I am waiting for mine and can't wait to read it!
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Received mine on Mon. Could not believe how fast it got here !!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
i got mine last week n i read a few pages at a time just so i dont blow through it quick very good read sofar i can see myself getting a few more archery books i dont read to much other than outdoor mags so when i saw this book i thought ill read that glad i got it

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
I got my copy last week as well.  But I am not even going to open it yet.  I'm weird that way, but books like that I like to save for when I have plenty of time to sit and savor it, and it will stay on the shelf for now.  Mark Baker's book is right underneath it.  We have a camping trip planned in the south next month, and that sounds like a perfect time to dwell on each word.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
great idea whip im sure you will enjoy it

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Whip - you have more will power than I do.  Read both books in a couple settings.  Now I'm reading them both again at my leisure.  Both are great reading!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
I've had Jay's book for sometime now, and highly recommend it....I have always been a fan of his style and skill at putting together a great story!   On top of that, he's even a better guy in person...at least around a campfire.  This is a book for any bowhunters collection.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Just picked up a hardcopy of yours too Mark! Looking forward to it!!!
Mike Davenport

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Sounds like a good read Mike, think I'll add it to my Christmas wish list.  Good luck with your next and hopefully final surgery.  

Joe

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Every chapter is better than the last. Its refreshing to see a hunting writer come to terms with our life and limited time given. This book seems to be about a hunters life  more than hunting, really enjoyable.

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
In the process of ordering Jay's book, and Mark's as well...I am already so far behind on books, but that never seems to stop me from buying more.....a man can never have too many books!

Lee

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 05:57:00 AM »

Just saw this, and wanted to offer up some thanks for the words. The picture is for Wapiti - Jay Massey on the Moose John just before he passed. Jay, Gene, and Don Thomas have long been my friends and my inspiration.I have their works bunched on my bookshelf together, and am always humbled when I go back and read the simple, powerful words of giants. - Jay
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Karen and I wanted to thank everyone for all the support! "longbow: A Hunting Life" sold over 225 copies in December so far, whether from us at  www.campbellsquest.com  or on Amazon paperback or e book. Thanks! - Jay and Karen Campbell
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
I have to say this book is fantastic.  I'm half way through and really enjoying it.  Great writing and stories.  :campfire:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Thank you Jay!!! I hope the books are flying off the shelves (and the kindle sales are burning up the download world)  :)  

The picture of Jay Massey is outstanding. By the way, looking at my "never loan-never leave my house" top shelf of my library are all 3 of Mr Massey's books, a few by Don Thomas, Barry Wensel's book, two of Barry's, Art Young's book and one by Mr Jay Campbell.

For those of you who have not read Jay's book, do so! It is more than a collection of hunting yarns...it is a book that will make you appreciate a life lived to the fullest.
Mike Davenport

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Just bought the Kindle version.  Can't wait to dig in.

Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©