3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with appling snake skins  (Read 270 times)

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with appling snake skins
« on: August 17, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
I read all the posts on appling snake skins to limbs but before I start I was hoping to get a little insight to a couple of questions.  First of all I have found that when I removed the majority of the scales there is still a fairly rough place underneath where the scale was attached.  What is the proper action to take care of this? Secondly the skins that I have are Canebreak, beautiful long skins.  I will be putting them on an autum oak widow.  I would like to have copperhead but I dont, but will the color of the wood affect the color of the finished skin on the limb.  Thanks.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with appling snake skins
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Brian, I found that put a coat or two of finish on, the lightly sand to knock of the high points.  Maybe do this one more time.  Will always have some texture, but  won't be as rough.  cheers, steve

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
When are you taking the scales off the skin, before or after you glue the skins to the bow?  Easier to get them off after.  SOS is right.  You can very lightly sand after you've put on a few coats of finish, but some texture will remain.  I consider that a plus.  

If your skins are thin, the underlying bow wood color can darken or lighten the skins very slightly.  To darken, or even change the color of, the finished skin, it's also possible to stain or dye the inside of the skin before applying it to the bow.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »
glue the skins on with wood glue and after it is all set and dry break out the duck tape.  

Run a piece of tape over the skins (one or two times) and you should find most of your scales stuck to the tape. Then you apply your finish and your good to go.

Good Luck!!
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©