3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaska Moose Hunt--> Guided or DIY Updated  (Read 754 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
Alaska Moose Hunt--> Guided or DIY Updated
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
It has been a lifelong dream of mine to go to Alaska to hunt Moose, and other game if possible.  I am now in my early 50s and ready to make it happen.  I have read a few books on DIY AK Moose hunts and have always felt DIY would be the way I go.  As I have gotten more serious about making this a reality I am now struggling with DIY or guided.  The biggest deterrent for me to a DIY hunt is not having a person to go with that can afford it, is capable and can handle what AK can dish out.   Additionally, while the cost of a guided AK Moose hunt can range from $10K to $20K, many of the outfits that provide the equipment and fly you in are in the $5k range.  Then you have to figure out where to go that has good and quality moose population.  I have gone hunting in northern BC guided and taken a moose and have done DYI elk the last three years so I am not worried my ability to hunt Moose or on my own.  I am confident I could do a DIY if I can find a good hunting partner along with a good area in AK.  For those of you who have done DIY and Guided will you please share with me your advice and experiences.  Feel free to PM me if you prefer.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaska Moose Hunt--> Guided or DIY Updated
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
I would contact Mike Mitten on this. If anyone knows DIY, it's him. In the mean time, save your money. Figure out what regular non essential expense you can eliminate. It'll add up.
Got wood? - Tom

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Kevin Dill and Bryan Burkhardt have done a few successful DIY moose hunts.  Perhaps they could help.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
You might consider the in between option, an outfitted hunt.  I believe Ernie Holland still provides this kind of hunt on the "Moose John River in Alaska.  He flies you in, supplies the equipment and food and sends you on down the river.  You're on your own for the hunt.  Flies you out at the end.  Less expensive than a guided hunt.

By the time you assemble/rent/buy your own equipment (tents and rafts, food, for example) and arrange for air service to fly you and your gear in and out, the cost will be close to the same. Of course some air services supply tents and rafts, but usually not complete outfitting, i.e.,food/predetermined destinations.  The issue there, as you're aware, is locating a good hunt area.

I've done the Moose John twice, once with Jay Massey and later with Ernie.  This is exactly the kind of hunt I like.  The outfitter takes care of the logistics, and I hunt and do everything else on my own.

Though some folks do the wilderness float trip on their own, I highly recommend a hunting partner you can depend on.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
Go to the Kzoo Expo in January.  Monty Browning will be doing a seminar on DIY Alaska hunting (I think it is about moose too).  Check the Great Northern site to get the advertisement, and I also believe it is in Sticktalk and TBM as well.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
Your two toughest challenges:

1) Finding a qualified hunting partner.

2) Deciding which air service or outfitter to use.

Since each depends (to a degree) on the other, you probably need to work on both simultaneously. Getting in for 2013 will be questionable, but you've got time to make '14 a reality.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »
I have the same dream.  I haven't hunted moose at all but have been studying Alberta (Shiras).  

I did stalk within 12 yards of a bull Shiras about 200 yards off the highway along the top of the Bighorns in Wyoming on a Tuesday afternoon (day before season opened) in 1985.  I tossed a mud-tipped stick (from beaver dam) at him.  

The warden who I told the tale to came to my DIY elk camp the next day said he bull had been killed by a bowhunter from Sheridan .  This bull stood as the world record Shiras bow kill for a few years.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
Areas of Alaska have been closing to non-residence for moose, while other areas are draw. So even though I may have hunted there for a half dozen times, its always a challenge up front if I don't go in back to back years. You can become quickly out of thouch in other words. If you like to do a semi guided deal, then Yote Roberson may be your guy. He is Dick's son and has a website. I beleive he may hunt a draw unit as well via river float.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
If you float down the Aniak River, could you bring my bow back? It's on the bottom about 14 miles down from the lake!!!!!!!!!  It should still shoot, I finished it in marine epoxy!  
Go for it.  Nothing like DIY float trip in the big country
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
Because of the remoteness and means of travel, weather plays such a huge role in Alaskan hunt success; you have to be ready to accept the hand you are delt. Is it worth it? Mike

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
The "species", moose, are not hard to hunt...I mean, if you can hunt elk, you can hunt moose.  Also, having some experience with elk gives you at least an "idea" of dealing with such a big animal once one's on the ground.  

As has been said, finding the right partner is the toughest thing.  Most (if no all) of the guys mentioned are PBS members.  To plug that fine organization a bit, this is one of the big advantages to being a PBS'er....that of fellowship, and sharing experiences and dreams with like minded, serious folks.   If you have'nt joined PBS, this is one case where your dues can be put to good use...and you could likely find that partner you are looking forward to as well.

Things change year to year...I did my trip in '99, so any info I'd have would be a bit dated.   My partner Walt, though, went back this past fall, and killed a fine bull.  I think his thread on his trip was titled "Pigger went North" or something like that....if you have'nt read it, do so!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Exactly what Mike and Mark said.

Alaska laws and regulations are extremely fluid, and you cannot count on anything remaining exactly the same in a year or two. Do your homework regarding Game Management Units and tags.

My membership in the Professional Bowhunters Society is probably the main reason I've been on so many fine hunting trips, including 7 far north adventures for moose. Information is a precious commodity, and PBS members tend to share information with their brethren. In many cases, membership in PBS leads directly to invitations and opportunities to go on hunts you might only ever dream about. Certainly, it puts a guy in contact with some of the THE most traveled and experienced bowhunters on this planet.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
I grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska (20+ years), and while I wish I were still there for the hunting, I am not personally interested in hunting moose.  The other species available there interest me more.

That being said, I have a friend from the lower '48 that wants to shoot an Alaskan moose with trad gear, and we are planning a future DIY hunt there.  (I would almost prefer to save money on moose tags and just tag along for the ride, perhaps as the dedicated videographer.  I'd rather save the money on out-of-state moose tags and just shoot small game along the way.)  

I have family that are still residents of AK, some very active and successful hunters.  One of these family members in particular is one of the most successful hunters I know, and has taken several moose over the past few years.  He has also helped several AK-resident friends of his to locate moose and take them with firearms.  He will be a big part of our DIY hunt in a year or two, and says that it will be tough to go DIY and get into a high-percentage situation without flying in somewhere.  This is from a guy that owns multiple snowmachines and four-wheelers, and a riverboat, with several years experience as a river-rafting guide in the interior.  There is a lot of hunting pressure in areas that the average Joe has access to.

Unless you can get help from someone who knows how to hunt Alaska, and who knows of accessible areas where the hunting pressure is light, I would recommend paying a guide.  If you are just looking for an Alaska-hunting experience, and would be content looking for moose (but probably not taking one), shooting small game along the way, DIY would work... because that is likely what would result.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Steve is a good shot on chipmunks  :thumbsup:
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
I have been having the same thought and starting to explore for a moose hunt in AK but it will be a few years off since I have a new baby in the house. Oh to dream.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
You might want to look into using a hunt planner. Here are links to some hunt planners in AK. I have never used any of these and have no connection to any of them. I have seen good reviews on each of them but I am not making any recommendations.

http://www.pristineventures.com/adventure-services/un-guided-hunt-planner.html

http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/Lost_Creek_Company/Home.html

http://www.northwestalaska.net/-hunt-planning-service.html

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
I may only know a thing or two about a thing or two, but in my six years here I have been fortunate enough to have taken four moose.  Fed my family moose and king crab lastnite!

Just going to point out something obvious and bow out of this thread.  

Look at a map of Alaska and find yourself a river that is interesected by roads in two or more places.  Figure out what game management unit (GMU) it's within.  Call that GMU's district F&G office and ask questions about densities and regulations specifically for non-residents.  See where I'm going?  Drop your buddy off at the begining point of trip with gear(raft) and you drive to take out spot.  Go to the nearest town and find someone that will drive you back to your buddy for cash, and go get a moose.  This is not hard to do folks.

Do your research.  The worst thing that I know of happening beyond accidents and all the hazards we have is taking a moose to early on and it spoiling before you get to the destination spot.  Of course weather plays a huge factor.  Meat management is also a significant.  The further north you go the earlier the rut begins.  Understand also that if you lose all your meat to spoilage you may also be cited for "Want and Waste" a serious citation that could go well into the thousands depending on negligence.  Very doable for the right team...

Best of luck,

CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Steve you have received some good advise from some excellent bow/moose hunters, you may want to re-read it a few times.   As Mark said, he and I went on a float trip and he took a nice moose.  He started his writing career recounting our adventure, there its some good advise in that  TBM article, which is in his new book too.  Kevin Dill and Bryan Burkheart, with there enthusiastic reliving of their hunts on the PBS site, were directly responsible for rekindling my interest in a another moose hunt.  Thanks again Kevin!  Visit the   PBS site and read their accounts, there is a lot of good advise.  Mikes book has a lot of good advise too.  The account of my hunt this past fall can be found either here at the PBS site, just run a search for "Pigger went North".
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
I want to thank everyone for the time taken to post; you are giving me exactly what I was hoping to get and I am digging deeper based on your advice and input.  Keep it coming please.

For those of you who have done a DIY Moose hunt in recent years, what do you figure it cost you?   And, if it is not too time consuming for you, how do those cost break down?  Maybe this info will be in some of the reading I’ll be doing based on advice given here. I checked on flights from MI to Anchorage, AK and it is $880…so there is my first $1k spent.

I am thinking 2014 is the earliest I could swing this from a planning prospective unless I bump into someone that has already done their homework and just needs someone to make their hunt come true.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Lot of moose that you can hunt within an hour of anchorage,  but there are more people too. Not as many bow hunt though. General non res tag is 400 plus 85 for license, and maybe you want to fish while your here. I think you can do a moose hunt here for under 3000 fairly easily; biggest cost being plane tickets and the cost of getting meat home. If you are looking for a trophy, you may be better off spending alot of money for a guided fly in hunt. If a legal bull and some time kicking around the brush in Alaska, it really isn't that much.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©