3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaska Moose Hunt--> Guided or DIY Updated  (Read 753 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaska Moose Hunt--> Guided or DIY Updated
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I'm mid process at this time in formulating a float hunt for myself and son in law.  We will go in 2013.  Should be plenty of time to get planned and booked if you start now and work diligently.  

I think you should have a partner as well, but would not be afraid to do it on my own if it meant that much (it does!  :D ).  I will PM you with info I've gathered so far and maybe that would help.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Alaska is beautiful and wonderful!  But it can also be very unforgiving.  I would recommend going with a partner or two.  Getting stuck somewhere or having to pull the back half of a moose out of a river would be nearly impossible without help.  

Are you going to Kalamazoo in Jan 2013?  I'll bet you could converse with some other interested trad hunters there, and may find some hunting companions.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Hello   I have been to Alaska 12 times hunting various area -- first trip 1990 --after that trip I said I am going back every year -- well made it back as much as I can - taken 3 moose, with the bow -- Jack HOward 58 #)  one caribou
missed others-- and one sheep--  
If this is a pne time trip -- find a good outfitter -- if this is jujst about killing a moose -- spend the money -- if it is about the adventure -- do a drop hunt -- there are a number of drop off outfitter out thee- so some research -- what ever you do -- especailly if you do a float -- when you find a good spot  - get up high and glass -- don't be afraid to call-you have to have patience - expecet not to go and come as you will- weather dictates everything--  I have never come home on the day I had scheduled --  don't bring to much gear .
Do research -- I know Yote - talk to him
The Wood River areea can be good  -- you m ight be able to find some experienced bowhuinted in Fairbanks to go with you -- I don't recomend going alone on your first trip   -- get up high

get a good spotting scope -- relax glass --  camp up high -- so you can see-  keep your drop off point in mind  before you shoot .I will post some photo's later --   the Wood River in not far from Fairbanks--   Wrights Air Service will drop you off -- Remember there is no cheap way to alaska  5 K is minimum--  Wrights has a Hellio plane  that can fly you and a moose in one trip -- and you and an other guy - to save money --  figure about $700.00 to go in same to fly out -- extra trips cost --  
Remember Glassing takes time !   you can spot moose from 5 miles away --  getting him is another thing  ---  
Good luck     Rob T   Classic Bowman

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Another popular DIY hunt is to get flown up to the headweaters of a choosen stream/river and drop your vehicle at the end or terminal destination.  Cost is only one way and no airfare for "meat only" trips,  which can really add cost.  These trips are really geared for residents as you can hunt several biospheres.  Sheep, caribou, bear and moose are all on the menu.  However, you could of course get a drop lower in any system for a moose only hunt.

Increasingly popular are the inflatable canoes.  Very wide,very stable and right around 2K.  Each person has their own and gear is divided until an animal is down.  Then one becomes a meat hauler and the other is for gear.  Here is the link to a very popular model, but there are others even up to 20ft.

http://soar1.com/soar_pro.htm
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Hi Steve,
I have a air taxi service here in Alaska.  I transport big game hunters into the brooks range for sheep, caribou, grizzly and moose.
If you are interested you can check out my website.  www.bushwackerair.com  or give me a call 907-458-8518
thanks
Jeff Kruse

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input!  I am making progress to making this a reality and I believe it will happen in 2014 but maybe next year.  Have a possibility for something in 2013 solo but joining a group being put together by a traditional archery guide out there...but will not know if I fit in for a few months and it will also depend on cost.  2014 will likely be a go if what I outlined does not work out. I am digging into the details of making this happen in 2014 now. If it is 2014 I am looking at somewhere in the Brooks Range. Anyone hunted there?
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
I did a Google search on Ernie Holland today and low and behold my post on an AK Moose hunt from 2012 showed up. It was neat to read everything written again. The info shared really helped me focus and decide what direction to go.  Plain and simple, if you want to do a very remote hunt in Alaska, there is no inexpensive way to do it...that I could figure out and on top of the money you are putting a lot in the hands of  people you do not know. As someone green to this stuff, it was stressful. I eliminated a float hunt rather quickly as the known accessible rivers, from what I read, can be over populated with hunters.  Where I got stuck is who to use to get me into the bush and exactly where to hunt. good and fair priced bush pilots are a prized secret as are the good hunting locations! I found pilots that would take me deep into the bush but none that I really felt good enough about after talking to them to literally put myself and my dream hunt into their hands. Alaska, even once you pick the GMU area you want to hunt, is so vast with countless places to hunt you literally get overwhelmed. So, you have to rely on the bush pilot and praying they have your best interest at hand. For a first time hunt and the money I would have invested that was a tough pill to swallow!

In 2012 during my planning process, my wife had basically ended my dream to hunt in 2014 informing me 2104 is our 25th Anniversary year and I needed to take her to Tuscany, Italy before I went to AK Moose hunting. I learned that day we both had dreams but hers did not parallel mine so I backed off and Italy became our dream trip. While I would rather hunt Moose in AK, Italy would be a great time too.

About 2 weeks ago, out of the blue my wife tells me I should do the Moose hunt this year while I am still in good health and shape. I literally thought I was dreaming.  I stayed very calm, cool and collected, not wanting to show my excitement or getting my hopes up too high, and just said... we'll see. I pretty much figured everything would be booked up or too expensive. I did a little checking and it just so happened I made the right call at right time and everything that needed to happen did to make a hunt a reality. If there is such a thing as divine intervention, I believe I experienced it!  

This Fall, September 10 - 20, I am pleased to report I will be hunting Moose in Alaska.  I have firmed up plans to hunt the Moose John Jay Massy made famous in his writings. In fact, it was reading his book on this exact river many many years ago that spawned my dream to one day hunt Moose in Alaska. So, it is fitting that when the sun, moon and stars finally aligned for my Alaska Moose hunt it will be where it all started for me.

A good hunt friend and I will be in the competent hand of Yote Robertson living out my dream. hunt.
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
Congratulations!!! Wish you the best of luck.

Alaska is a trip you will never forget and you will always want to go back.

Take care

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Congrats.  It's an excellent hunt.  As I said up top, I've done it twice.  Hope to do it once more. Don't forget a fishing rod.  Fly fishing for Grayling is outstanding, and there are usually some spawning salmon. Good luck.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
Good luck Steve.  It's been a lot of fun talking to you about this.  I can feel your excitement.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 03:07:00 AM »
Good luck Steve!  It will be a trip like none other!

I hope you post your impressions, experiences, and results from your Alaskan adventure.  

I too have wanted to hunt moose in Alaska but as yet I have not made it happen.  In 1999 my brothers and I did a DIY fly-in drop camp for Caribou, on the upper Alaskan peninsula, north by northwest of King Salmon.  We were in the field for 8 days.  The first 2 days were perfect then it rained continuously for  the next 6.  We saw lots of game but only came home with one animal.  We still talk fondly of our trip and hope to do another someday.  Maybe our someday will come together sooner than later like yours has.

Enjoy the ride!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
I hope you have  a great trip!!  Please let us know how it goes!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Congrats and good luck on you hunt.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Steve, you and I have communicated a time or two on this...and I'm glad to see you go hunt moose.

Ridiculous as it may sound, sometimes the best way to get started moose hunting is to go hunt moose. You make your best call and of course you hope it ends with a huge animal. The main thing is to be sure you create a huge adventure and memory, because those will ultimately be more valuable than the meat and antlers. You know you're going into a beautiful area, and you'll see big bulls. You get to walk in Alaska with your stickbow, and that's a lot of reward right there. A close encounter and near-kill is a success in itself. If your dreams come true and you close the deal on a monster, you will take home the ultimate reward. Good luck and enjoy the wilderness!

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
I look forward to hearing about your successful hunt and great adventure.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
There is nothing more important to me on a hunt than to take home a great experience. A kill that comes without a great experience is meaningless.
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Good hunting Steve!  For the rest- For what it is worth:  I did a DIY KS to Anchorage last fall on a tight budget.  Fly-in.  Moose and bear. $2.5 K.  Did not include gear a guy may need for this (already had most).  Did not include flying meat, etc. out of bush and home (would add $1200 if harvested).  And did not include possible conflicts with weather and extra nights in hotel or air fare changes as necessary (we did not have).  I figured if a guy sticks to black bear he could drop the $1200 down to $100-200. Perhaps that is helpful to some.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
There is something special about September in Alaska and I am addicted ! Will be a great experience. Choose your gear wisely and for sure get some good rain gear. You might consider picking Kevin D's brain a little. He has several years under his belt and has well planned combinations of gear. Is always neat knowing several of us from tradgang will be planning, leaving and hunting the great Alaska this September.

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
I know where I want to hunt moose in Alaska just not sure whether to have a guide or try a DIY  :)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Mr Chappell,  what's the name of the book by Mr Massey? I think I ought to read it. Thanks
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©