3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaska Moose Hunt--> Guided or DIY Updated  (Read 755 times)

Offline Hunterdad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaska Moose Hunt--> Guided or DIY Updated
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
What a great turn of events.......for you. Congrat! What bow/ broad head ombination will you be using? I booked  a drop camp for moose but have to wait til next year.

Good luck and keep us posted

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
mh...The Jay Massey book is Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers.  It is tough to get your hands on a copy these days.

KSdan...I spent a lot of time planning a DIY in area 26 for 2014 until I was shot down by the Mrs. I wanted to get back in deep 1.5 hr flight (so you pay 3 hr flight time each trip) and I believe I was at about $7K and as I recall that may have included getting a moose out of the bush only.  What drives the cost up is flight time.  I would love to find a way to make Alaska affordable so I can hunt there every 2 or 3 years.  This will be an educational trip as I will be getting a feel for a lot of things I am 100% green on today.  I got my CO Elk hunting from $4K guided down to $1,200 a year going DIY and half the cost is the Elk Lic.  I have hunted Elk every year since.   i have no doubt I can do Moose DIY it's just all the unknowns about Alaska I hope to get educated on this year. There are definitely pros to using a guide and for my first AK Moose I cannot even express how grateful I am that things have panned out like they have.  I will call it divine hunting intervention and a great wife as this thing was not supposed to happen!
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Will try and find a copy thank you  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Congrats again Steve.  I was just posting FYI for those who may be thinking about this type of thing.  My trip last fall was equally a blessing as a friend needed a partner and actually paid my way.  I could have never done it otherwise.  We drove 2 hrs to our port and flew in less than 20 miles.  In 7 days of hunting we saw 11 grizz, 6 blacks (some CLOSE encounters!), 2 wolves, sheep, 15+ moose, and more adventure than I could have asked for.  If a guy kept this same hunt to just blackies and native brook trout you could have done this for $2K.  

A few guys on this site GREATLY helped me with questions.  If I can help, feel free to ask.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©