3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who DOES use a bow quiver on a D-shaped longbow?  (Read 552 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Who DOES use a bow quiver on a D-shaped longbow?
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Many members have written how much they dislike bow quivers on their long D-shaped longbows.  I'm interested in hearing from D-shaped longbow hunters who DO use bow quivers.  What are your thoughts on bow quivers?  I, like many others, love the convenience but dislike the weight...but nothing else seems to fill the void for hunting.

As always, pics are a big plus!

Thanks,
Andrew
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who DOES use a bow quiver on a D-shaped longbow?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
I just posted a pic of mine on the D bow appreciation thread with a Barta quiver stuffed with Snuffers and two flu flus on the side.  When I don't need all the ammo, I use an EFA.  I prefer a bow quiver.  My Arrowmaster got to be too much with a pack and the bow quiver improved the handling of the bow IMO.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
I do use a bow quiver on my mohawk.  I like them.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
I use bow quivers on all my longbows. Mohawk,Hill Style Northern Mists and Wes Wallace Royal. Some don't like 'em some do!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
I use one on a very rare occasion , on one specific bow only , reason being the heavier mass weight of the bow . Tinkered with it on others, but quiver/arrows throws the balance of the bow off so bad that my impact point changes when shooting.
These other bows that i speak of are very light in mass weight.
Heres a pic of my only longbow that wears a quiver.
Osage, glass and i believe a touch of lead thrown in. Heaviest mass weight Hill style ive ever handled, and i love it! [/url] [/IMG]

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
when I had a Wesly special, I had an EFA 4 arrow quiver on it
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline mark stella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
I do. Got a Thunderhorn on my 62" Mohawk. I like the extra weight and have them on other long bows too. I tried the back quiver deal but it was not for me.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
I have on occasion and may yet again but I dislike the extra weight ... But it still fells like I am putting a moustache on the Mona Lisa
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
I've got a Slim Jim on my Northern Mist, it's the only bow quiver I've found that I care for .
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I am thinking about trying one before next years hunting season.  There are times when a bow mounted quiver makes sense.  I have not elk hunted with my longbow but plan to next year.  A bow mounted quiver just works well for me doing this style of hunting.  That being said I don't like shooting with a quiver on a bow.  Doesn't matter what kind of bow.  My fear with a bow as light as my longbow it may change my point of impact to where I have to practice all the time with the quiver on.  I can see though once you figure it out the extra weight could be a plus.  I have every other kind of quiver.  I figure I might as well add a bow mounted quiver to my arsenal.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I use bow quivers on all my bows. I think they're particularly usefull on D bows to provide stability and damp down any handshock.Biggest mistake people make is mounting the quiver on the working part of the limbs.I always mount the quiver at least an inch or more up the fades.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Sometimes......but I don't really care for it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
I use Selway slip ons or Eagle's Flite with the bottom gripper converted to a Selway on my Robertson, Liberty and Hill longbows.  Have been using Selways for more than 20 years.  I like them.  Give the bow a little added heft/stability and help quiet them even more, not that they need it.

Offline dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I almost always do anymore. I use a thunderhorn small fry, but use a 5  arrow gripper on it. I use it on my 64" Mohawk. I can take mine on or off and not have it affect my shooting.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Not to high jack the thread too much but have any of you used Big Jim's bow quiver on your longbows.  Looks like a good set up at a good price.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
I've always used my old Great Northern 4 arrow longbow quiver in my D shaped bows...a Hill Big 5...Two different Mohawks and a Northern Mist Whisper...

Offline Green Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I shoot a Great Northern and I do use a bow quiver.  I don't love it but man I sure shoot better with it on.  something about the extra weight helps me stabalize etc...
"Everything the power of the world does it does in a circle." -Black Elk

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
i tried a few on my longbow and i ended up going with the bigjim 5 arrow gripper and a med hood strapon i like it its light stays put and holds the arrows good i only carry 3 arrows when i hunt so it does not add to much mass or weight to the longbow and feels pretty good has not changed the point of my bow or the impact i use a arrowmaster most of the time while longbow hunting and the big jim rides the recurve more than the longbow but all in all i think the big jim is the way to go price is great service is A+ and its a pretty nice looking quiver also on my northwind gem reverse handle R/D longbow or my 1968 66in. bear bearcat recurve feels better on the recurve just my 2 bucks worth

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
I have a Great Northern Strap on attached to my Aspen Longbow. No Problems.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©