3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying to get it done on ground TOUGH!!!!  (Read 862 times)

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Trying to get it done on ground TOUGH!!!!
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
So I been trying to take a whitetail from the ground , knew it would be tough, but after spending most of my deer hunting life in the tree's I just never knew how tough!! Getting close hasn't been the problem, I thought that would be it, but it seems if they come within  shooting distance that ain't good enough for em, them jokers just like to keep on coming till they make me nervous. Didn't like em under my stand in the trees and I sure don't like em even within 6-8 yards on the ground.Just can't seem to get the draw on em at that distance, I love to hunt thicket's around edge of hardwoods mainly because that's where I see em at, I've learned a lot from your replies and for that I am grateful.Have been within 10 yards of 3 does and 2 bucks within the last couple of weeks, Heard one down in the bottom  the other day and managed to slip within 20 yds of a nice mature buck in the dry hardwood leaves, he went about his business not even knowing I was there , just no open shot. I never thought it possible but through the reading of these threads. Not spot and stalk but hear and stalk about as close as you can get around here. Guess just trying to say thanks for helping a fellow to learn new things and plan on keeping at it as long as I can and hopefully it'll come together soon. One more thing thanks for all the tips about wool. My wife thinks I really look crazy in some of the outfits but the deer they don't seem to even see me at all!!!
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying to get it done on ground TOUGH!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Sure is a major rush on the ground huh.  :jumper:    :jumper:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Tough but a lot of fun! I love ground hunting.

Sounds like your in the right spots. Good luck.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Best thing i ever done was come down out of the tress. It has simplified my hunts and made my hunts more enjoyable due to less gear to carry in and out, and is a huge RUSH!.
Stick with it, youlle get it done!
Good luck!
Paul

Online Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
It definitely takes practice, but I get them too close too often on the ground. I generally stick to trees once the leaves fall. It is almost magical on the ground and close to a deer unaware of my presence. I suggest building up something to hide you in your favorite spots, here in MI they really are good and wired to find hunters.  If I just sat in front of a tree, I would be seen every time.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
It is great.  And that wool sure does hide you.  At least until you move to draw. 8>)  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Sure is fun though
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
I know what you mean.  I did some ground hunting early on in bow season.  It is tough.  I got in close enough for a shot many times I just got busted every time I tried to take a shot. Now that the guns are going off it will be even tougher. Looks like you ain't hunting too far from me Darin.

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
I know the feeling took few season's on the ground to come together.  I love ground hunting and the simlicited.  But hard to beat the view from a treestand and the sloppiness that once got away with doesn't work on the ground.  Like stalking another tool in the box, but feel it also makes you a better hunter all around.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Haven't been in a treestand in years..for sure its tougher on the ground...and for the exact reason you stated..just so hard to draw on a buck when you are 20 feet from him at eye level...but man its fun to try!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Sounds like your on your way, have fun and stay safe.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Still do it once and a while. Have had deer within 10 ft. a couple of times and it sure is a rush !!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Sounds like you're having a great time. Stick with it, you'll get 'er done!    :jumper:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline HawkeyeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Hunting from the ground is a whole other ballgame! Sure gets your heart racing! Sounds like you're gettin somw close encounters though!

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Thanks for all the words of encouragement, I mainly hunt public land thats bow only so pressure ain't quite as bad, but hunting around the house with my son a lot lately, he's trying to get one with shotgun.I'm having to wear orange cap sure does help build confidence about what deer can't see or pay attention too. Neighbors son deer hunts back there and is taking an interest in bow's now after seeing someone that doesn't use guns much at all but will hunt along with them anyway.Alabama woodsman I generally hunt Shoals Creek preserve, a track of forever wild land in St. Florian untill December 26, then I hit seven mile Island management area in Florence, also bow only for deer but most Saturdays this year I'll be somewhere my son can hunt as he's not able to shoot a bow of legal weight just yet but close!!Just like yall said it is a rush very exciting can't really understand why I get nervous when I'm the one with a bow not them........

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I've been hunting on the ground 3/4 hunts so far this season, havn't gotten to a good shot yet, but best so far was within 30 or so yards of 3 does and called in a buck within 20ish but couldn't see him well enough through the brush.  Havn't taken one yet but man what a rush.  I remember creeping up to those does, that adrenaline high lasted well into the evening!  I've hunted from the stand once so far and I felt too disconnected from the forest way up there.  Down on the ground I feel like more of a predator.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
It certainly is tough.  This was my first still-hunted deer and remains my best hunt/shot ever; though it was only 14 paces.  That's why it is my Avatar.  I spent five years trying and had two-dozen non-shots from being outsmarted or, twice, m-m-m-m-missing.  

Not the biggest buck - but I can describe every detail of the site, approach, shot, strike and aftermath.  It's burned in my brain.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
" Heard one down in the bottom the other day and managed to slip within 20 yds of a nice mature buck in the dry hardwood leaves"

How did you manage to close the distance in the dry leaves?  I am in my first year of hunting some on the ground after many years in the trees.  It has been slow, but definitely fun.  I too have struggled with drawing on a close deer.  I have not tried moving on them.  Our deer are very, very wired.  How did you do it?
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Been trying to get of done for the last couple years. Had them so close I could almost smack'em on the rump. It is definitely easier to get drawn in the trees, but man what a rush when your eye to eye with'em. I'll get'er done one of these years, but for now... just have'n fun try'n!

Jason

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Nice deer stumpkiller, and a well earned congratulations!!!Cato I had been doing a little still hunting behind my house and decided before calling it quits to slip around and see if I could get a shot on one of those big squirrel's I'd been seeing while deer hunting. Wind was blowing steady this day around 11:00 Am and I was hearing the unmistakable sound of a tree being shook down in the hollow, the leaves were very dry and crunchy but I just follow the advice of some folks on this site and been practicing it if I move slow and easy the squirrels don't even pay attention to the noise of the leaves as on a normal day they hear it all day long, just look a lot and walk  a little and slow no flailing arms, bows or anything. Short strides try to look like a tree and use any cover available, their advice I just followed and most important detail on this day was the wind. I think between his rubbing , shaking tree and the wind blowing my sound away from him I was just lucky in my choice to pursue what I heard. And due to what he was preoccupied with I was able to spot him before without him knowing, and as he was easing off and me with no shot I felt a great deal of satisfaction even without the shot in knowing I hadn't alerted him!!  That same evening I had a smaller buck at about 15 feet he came in feeding, I heard him coming or never would have seen him but he was almost dead downwind from me, I dropped down on a little stump with my back to him expecting him to blow out of there stood there behind me stomped a couple of times I could here then when he started walking I eased my head around and he just eased on off giving no indication that he ever new I was there. I am actually turning into a crunchy leave fan as have been alerted as to the whereabouts of a lot of careless deer by them over the years and I love privet hedge as well deer seem to feel free to move in the thick of it!! Hopefully one day will come together completely but the next seven days back at the grindstone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©