3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying to get it done on ground TOUGH!!!!  (Read 860 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying to get it done on ground TOUGH!!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Keep at it Darin! You got to represent for the guys deep down south!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline refugerambler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
I've been trying from the ground here on Wheeler refuge and it is hard! Might see ya at seven mile island, Darin, I hunt over there some myself.
Bear Cheyenne 55@28
Brooks Artisan 53@28

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Thanks John, I traded one climber for my crooked stic and sold another to a guy at work so I plan on keeping on trying got to admit I catch myself looking at them but not yet, I really do love heading out with bow, quiver and haversack simplicity at it's best!!
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
I lived in Florence for a while and hunted Freedom Hills WMA.  I enjoyed that place.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I try it all the time. I have killed deer still hunting and have snuck up on some, but it sure ain't a way to fill up the freezer in a hurry.

This year on the 3rd day of bow season I spent better than an hour within 60 yards of 3 feeding bucks, one of which was a 150 class 11 or 12 point. When they moved I moved - trying to get a shot. I got within 30 yards at one point, but never had a clean shot close enough. One of the best hunts I've ever been on, even though I couldn't close the deal. Sneak hunting is a rush.

Offline refugerambler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
I've hunted freedom hills several times, it's about an hour and half from the house, just hard to make it over for a day hunt! Good hunting though.
Bear Cheyenne 55@28
Brooks Artisan 53@28

Online Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
The Asbell book on still hunting and stalking is actually pretty good.  A lot of good tips and makes you think!   I think it's worth a read.  I've killed them over the years on the ground.  Once in an open hardwood i stalked head on from 140 ish yards to 20 yds of 3 bedded deer, 2 mature, using the tips I learned.  I killed that sapling in front of that deer by splitting it in 2.  That was an amazing experience.  The look on her face when she recognized me as human or a threat was one I'll never forget.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
It is tough!  I've been doing it myself lately

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
I have also spent most of my season on the ground too. I have had many close encounters but haven't had a good shot opportunity yet. Good luck!

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
I only hunt on the ground, havn't had a shot yet this season, but I have seen plenty of deer! Background cover and wind direction seem to be the 2 most critical things! I always have cover behind me seems to make a real differance when they are close, I too have been wearing wool, plus keeping your face covered ala paint, mesh head net is critical as they seem to zoom right in on the exposed skin! Now with all that being said still damn hard to get a  draw on them even if all things go as planned!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
darin, thanks for posting.  It seems you have what it takes and I have that gut feeling we'll be hearing of your first ground harvest in the near future.  Stay with it man!
Best regards in traditional,
Marion

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Haven't hunted as much as intended this year, but it's been exclusively from the ground for the first time. I had my first close encounter the other day, unfortunately not with a deer, but with what appeared to be a very mature coyote. It really surprised me because of course, it came from where I least expected. Came from directly down wind and within about 7 - 8 yards. I just sat frozen when I initially heard the foot falls until it was by me enough that I could ease my head around to see what was walking behind me. No shot was possible, but just having a mature predator like that pass by so close and never have a clue I was there was a real confidence booster.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
No one ever said it was easy. At least I hope not. But boy what a rush. Keep at it. Sounds like your well on your way to being a successful ground hunter. Good luck and "Keep'Um Sharp".  :archer2:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Stick with it. Magic is on the way as your skills come together.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Learn to draw s-l-o-w-l-y and you will shocked what you can get away with. I also adapted what I call a chest draw for very close range that does not give much of a human profile.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Try to setup with some shooting lanes so you can draw behind cover and shoot through a gap; usually requires some pruning or placement of cover (limbs and other brush).

Most experienced people I talk to recommend letting them pass you, then getting a rear quartering away shot.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Thanks for all the words of encouragement, indeed it is a rush and very satisfying just to be that close at ground level. I find that I'm learning a lot more about the animals I'm hunting by taking it to the ground, especially what I can and CAN'T get away with. I still can't believe how close they can get and not see you just by having cover behind you verses in front of you, this truly amazes me!! Can't wait till it all comes together and the magic happens but untill then I'll just keep enjoying the hunt!!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Swinestalker:
Learn to draw s-l-o-w-l-y and you will shocked what you can get away with. I also adapted what I call a chest draw for very close range that does not give much of a human profile.
Yes.  And also learn to draw and release in one swift movement.  

The most important thing is that when you decide to shoot . . . shoot.  There will be no perfect opportunity, but there will be the perfect moment when the arrow is released and strikes where it should.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Ground hunting is AWESOME!! I've only taken one deer from the ground, everything else from a tree.

One of THE BIGGEST bucks I have ever had the opportunity to loose an arrow too, was on the ground in the middle of a cattail swamp.
 I missed right over him, too much adrenaline and unsure if the rut crazed beast would try to gore me.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Well I've had a lot of time to spend thinking about it. Have looked at a few stands and decided to give it another shot this year. Boots at the ready,new set of 8x42 power leupolds, great new leather side quiver that I got on a trade, surewoods stained crested and fletched up with turkey feathers donated by friends split and ground by me, tuned to my bow,   a few more still in the works, almost ready. Waiting on October 15, when once again I will be trying to take one from the ground, call me hardheaded but I've learned a lot the last two years and to take it to the trees now would be me just wanting a kill, that's not me. I want to apply what I've learned and try it again, then if need be the trees will still be there. Untill then practice, practice, practice and maybe it'll all pay off!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©