3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve v. longbow draw length  (Read 368 times)

Offline Shamansdream

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve v. longbow draw length
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
I am getting ready to acquire a R/D longbow. I'm currently shooting a recurve.

Will there be a difference in my draw length between these two bows?

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve v. longbow draw length
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Depending on the longbow and the recurve, for me, it is usually an 1". Some longbows with deeper grips I am only a 1/2".

Best try something similar yourself if possible, but I know that isn't always easy.

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
I shoot the same length with R/D longbow or recurve.However with a HH bow I am 1" shorter.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:14:00 AM »
Never noticed a difference myself

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
In a R/D longbow and recurve not much change D-shape longbows are about a 1".

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:11:00 AM »
It all depends on how straight the grip is and the natural bend the bow arm takes.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:12:00 AM »
recurve 30.75
Schulz LB 28.5
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
It is funny this thread came up...I was messing with some new arrow ideas last night (trying to get a little shorter for the thick stuff) and decided to check my draw length again. Always has been 28.5" on wheelies in the past and never thought to check it since....as I drew back my newest R/D build....27"! I decided to draw it a couple of more times to be sure....yep 27".
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Would someone care to explain the justification for the difference?.... Merely able to envision some possibilties.

Thank you!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Most folks shoot recurve with medium or high grip, longbow with a lower grip.  Hold your wrist straight out to simulate medium grip and then bend it to low grip position, the length will be shorter.  About an inch for me.  The palm swell of the recurve vs. the lack thereof on the longbow is the difference.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Friend, I get this question a lot when people are wanting to have a bow built at a specific weight at a specific length.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
The measurement of draw length is often different between recurve and longbow, because you measure it at the far side of the shelf (the back of the bow).  Recurves often have thicker risers, from back to belly, and draw length will measure longer on a recurve.  This is the case with Black Widows, and I shoot recurve and longbow.  My measured draw length is somewhere around 1/2" shorter with the longbow than with the recurve.

If, for each bow, you measure the distance from the deepest part of the grip to the shelf at the back of the bow, the variation between the two bows would be a significant part of the difference between measured draw lengths between the two bows.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
I think Archie's explanation says it best and this is often the issue when discussing proper brace height as well.  The issue really comes from where to measure from on the bow.  From the back of the shelf vs. the deepest part of the grip.  The archery standards state that you should measure from the deepest part of the grip.  But that is not always practical / easy to do on a recurve due to the common design of many recurve risers / grips.  So, often the recurve bowyers will use the back of the shelf as the easiest reference point.  

That difference is not standard though and I have seen it vary from as little as a 1/2" up to 1-1/2" depending on the shelf / grip design the bowyer has used.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
My difference is form related. I shoot my LB with a bent, low elbow. The recuve is much closer to being locked out.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I think Archie's right to a point but I just got my first Hill style bow with the straight grip.
 My draw is 27.5" on my recurves, 27" on my Shrews and Lost Creeks but am 26 1/4 on my new Northern Mist. The straight grip moves my hand position which puts more of a natural bend in my bow arm elbow.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
If your form is the same, draw length should be the same. If your style with the longbow reverts to a fluid, natural, point and shoot style you may be surprised how short you really draw. My target style is 29.5" my hunting style is 26"  go figure.

Offline Dave Rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Form (bent elbow vs. locked elbow and your body's orientation to the target), grip style (low, med or high), and shelf length forward of the grip all affect draw length.

All of my longbows have been low wrist grips, my preferred recurve was a high wrist (straight wrist) grip. That contributed just over 1" to draw length.

Slightly bent elbow with the longbow, locked elbow for the recurve ~ .5" more draw length for the recurve.

Shelf depths forward of the grip were essentially the same.

Total: Longbow draw 29.5", Recurve draw 31".

YMMV

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
It depends on the bows. My draw with my Kanati, RER XR, and Orion (recurve or longbow configuration) is the same. With a straight grip (Hill style) I probably lose an inch, maybe a bit more. Even though the first three allow a relatively low wrist grip, it is still not quite as low as the suitcase grip one uses with a straight handle.

In the end, you are going to have to experiment to find out what YOU draw.

Also, most folks find they lose 1 to 1 1/2" when going from a compound to a traditional bow, some even more. That really wasn't part of the OPs' question though.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
First, we need to be comparing apples to apples in how to measure draw length.  AMO says from the base of the nock at full draw to the pivot point on the bow grip plus 1 3/4".  If we accept this standard, then riser depth doesn't matter.  How the handle is designed and how you hold the bow (palm up or down, arm bent or not) are the biggest factors in determining how ones draw lenght might change from bow to bow; none of which has anything to do with if you're shooting a longbow or recurve.  Some old style recurves have very straight grips that will shorten the draw; many new style "longbows" have relatively high wrist grips that will tend to lengthen draw length.  Short anwswer IMHO; it depends on the particilar bow and how you shoot it.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Swamp Yankee you said it best and totally agree with what you stated.  It is the particular bow that your shooting, style of grip and form that dictates everything.  Well spoken.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©