3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blood in vehicles ??  (Read 803 times)

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Blood in vehicles ??
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
I have a Toyota Highlander with light tan carpet interior and usually use a plastic tarp to transport deer I've killed. But I always put a bag of ice in the chest cavity to help with cooling the meat until I get home. There is sometimes some leakage onto the carpet as the ice tends to thin the blood and keep it flowing.
 Two part question- what can I use to clean the carpet and prevent the "dead" smell associated with the blood and has anyone found a plastic form with short sides to put the deer in to prevent leakage. When I had pickups this was never a problen as I just washed the bed out but carpet in another situation. Thanks for any solutions.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blood in vehicles ??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Get one of those bumper hitch carry thingy's and keep the deer on the outside of the vehicle.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Strap it to the hood!   :bigsmyl:

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Try hydrogen peroxide

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Weather Tech makes a good cupped liner.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Charlie,Thought about one of those hitches but then thought about road grime even if the deer are wrapped up. Also they might taste different from the exhaust. Maybe too picky but like to have the deer taste like deer.
 Have roof racks but a little too necky for me. My nephew keeps trying to suggest that to me. Maybe as a last solution.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Get one of those bumper hitch carry thingy's and keep the deer on the outside of the vehicle.
Yep - you can get them from 60 bucks on up, mine is on it's third vehicle

Offline dougbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
I've never seen it done in person, but I was told by a rifle hunter that a body bag is the best way to transport a deer inside your car/suv. He told me that they are water proof, so that would solve your ice problem.  I don't remember where he said he got his body bag though.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Hitch haul racks work great and don't taint the meat at all.
As far as ice melt I use 2 liter soda bottles. Full them with water and freeze. Stuff them in the cavity. They don't leak like ice bags do. When your done wash them off and refreeze.

Try oxyclean on the carpet. Test for color fade.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Online Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
I like to process my deer and get the meat in ziploc freezer bags then take the deer home in a cooler full of ice... just remember to close the drain plug :)
Depending on travel time you might have a little blood to drain out each bag but that's easy enough. Im particular enough about the inside of my truck not to want mud, blood, fleas, ticks inside. I don't want my steaks outside in the sun, rain, oil&gas road grime so the cooler is the way for me!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
I lay down plastic leaf bags flat and then a pad of corrugated cardboard when transporting a deer in my fawn color interior.  If blood does hit the fabric I use hydrogen peroxide as mentioned above and then a scrub with water that has detergent and baking powder mixed in.

Hey, a little bloodstain is good luck.  What you don't want is enough to spoil and stink up the interior.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
get a big cooler.  I can fit a quartered deer in mine.  Throw some ice on top and you're good to go.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
The old paradigm stuck in our heads of hauling home an entire deer is part of the problem.  Did that myself for years.  No need to.  Really no need to gut them either.  As stated:  quarter it and either put it in a cooler or even trash bags.  

This was posted before- but Fred Eichler shows it with an elk-  
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
Try hydrogen peroxide
Be careful it will bleach the carpet white
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
The heavy plastic trays used for mixing mortar would do, they come in several sizes. Also look at the plastic sleds, if you have room they would work. When hunting in snow I usually keep one in the truck, makes dragging a lot easier and it preserves the hide if you want to tan it hair on.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
A body bag may work but they will leak if the zipper aint right.  You can get a custom molded heavy duty rubber cargo liner with raised sides that will keep the leaks contained.  I got one from the bay last year for my wife's rav4.  I'm of no help with the stain.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by wtpops:

Originally posted by TxAg:
Try hydrogen peroxide
Be careful it will bleach the carpet white [/b]
Good point

Seems like last time i used it for blood removal, the carpet was white so it didnt matter. It would likely ruin a darker carpet

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
try dawn dish liquid it works pretty good or capsure powder will take the stain out years of carpet laying always had dawn capsure powder and googone in the work bucket incase of finger cut n blood drops as for the plastic for the floor i have a floor cover from the back of a s10 blazer i have kept and used over the years it has about 2 or 3 inch lip all the way around and keeps the blood from the floor and just spray it of at car wash

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Plastic sled!  Dicks sells a camo one intended for ice fishing gear.  High sides and well built.  Works great.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
I use a containment tarp, which has a hose fitting in the middle. its for leaks in commercial buildings to re-direct the water as quick as possible... works great for the deer just get an old hose cut it to about 6' and position it correctly at a low point where the liquids are are gathering and just leave hanging out the back hatch, you can push the hatch down till it clicks once andit will still drain without freezing the inside of the truck for those single temp days.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©