3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help for a want to be turkey hunter  (Read 185 times)

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
Help for a want to be turkey hunter
« on: December 06, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Hey guys....i am really wanting to seriously turkey hunt but i dont have the first clue what to do...what they eat, the type of areas they like, their patterns and how to track them down

I could really use some advice from those of you who are mad about hunting them....especially at this time of year.

And...are there some really informative books that you would recommend? I just dont want to waste the time and money on books that arent that helpfull.

I know blinds would be easier...but man those are expensive....and i would prefer to hunt them from natural cover.

Stuff i have aquired over the years...i have an old ghilie and a rigged up bow shield like Joey and Whip use, a niff t seat....i know the waldrops are suspossed to be the best but they just arent in the budget at this time. I have some really good decoys and even rigged up a simple system with ropes to make them move, a couple inexpencive call boxes, several mouth calls...i have watched all of the videos on youtube that show you how to do the different calls....and have read every thread on here about shot placement....and have watched every video i could find!

Awhile back i was able to call some toms in...but they hung up at about 40 yards...knew something was up and mossied off....but man that was so thrilling to have them come in like that.

Thanks for any tips and advice!!!

Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help for a want to be turkey hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
This time of year here in SE Nebraska they start grouping up and generaly if you find 1 you find 100. They tend to concentrate around feedlots and areas with heavy timber with a preferred food source(corn,soybeans,winter wheat) close by. Calling works but not as effective as spring time. I always have a tag with me but I'm hunting deer mainly and if some come by it's game on!! Goodluck

Steve

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Stykbow 67 is right on.  They are not looking to breed now so the Toms won't usually answer a hen call.

I have found that locating them and patterning them in the Fall is the best tactic.  Once you know where they are and where they will be going for food, you try to intercept them accordingly.  

In the Spring, you still need to locate them first, but they are now looking for the girls and will answer the hen calls and a competitive gobbler call. In the Spring using a gobble or hen call to locate the birds in the area is a real effective tactic.  

Using a commercial blind is not at all needed.  Once you have located and patterned the birds, use your ghillie and/or build a natural blind.  

You can use most any broadhead but it is critical that you hit them in the vitals.  They are a very tough bird to kill accordingly.  Study a turkey vitals diagram carefully.

If you hit one, don't wait for it to die, go to it immediately and finish it off if you need to.  I have seen far too many birds that were wounded just get away (and become coyote feed later) just because the hunter didn't go after a hit bird immediately.

Good Luck and have fun!

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Hunting fall birds you need to be where they are going. Buy the book the Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly. The best turkey hunting book out there. It's not a trad hunting turkey book but the best about turkeys. He has a chapter on hunting fall birds! U can't become a turkey hunter untill you read it....My opinion!

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
I hunt them "HARD" in the Fall..I'm fortunate enough to have alot of good turkey hunting right out my back door..I could type paragraphs on the ways I like to chase them but you'll learn alot more by getting out & chasing them yourself.....I've learned more from birds I didn't kill than from ones I did.
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Thanks all! And John i will definately get that book
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Now where to 1st start... should it be with the turkey or the egg.

Couldn't resist.

Hopefully, other more respectable members will get you started.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Lance u got me in the mood to read it now. I always read it every year a few weeks before spring season starts!  It's intense!

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
For John... If your Yelping doesnt sound like a crow being raped by an eagle....      :laughing:  

And Scott you know me...id probably step on the egg!

Seriously though...i really appreciate the help everyone!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Try to get in the vicinity of a roost area and listen for fly ups. Once they are up get in close and scare hell out of them.... so they fly off.

Be at that spot next morning at sunrise. Use a lost call and get ready.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Thanks Charlie! Of course i had to go look up what a lost call was!    :knothead:

Ok picture this....i have three days to hunt over the holiday break. I have called the warden who keeps track of the turkeys numbers and the best populations to find out a place to hunt. He told me of two areas where he says there are good populations and hardly any hunters because they are very remote.

How would you go about finding roosting spots and feeding areas without spooking them to badly?
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©