3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: barge cement alternative?????  (Read 370 times)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
barge cement alternative?????
« on: December 06, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
did a search on here for glue for side plates and rugs and barge cement was the hands down winner from that research. However I've been to all the normal places and can't find any here in Denver, only place I haven't been into yet was Ace Hardware. So whats a good alternative, I did see some Dap Contact cement, would that work?? Anything better, my brother inlaw gave me some 527 glue, but it mentions several times not to get on varnished surfaces.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: barge cement alternative?????
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Barge is available at Ace. But you can use less permanent adhesives for rug plates. There are spray ahesives, rubber contact cement, etc. that wll hold but not mar the finish of your bow.
Even Elmers glue will do nicely and flake off one day when ready to change it out.
David M. Conroy

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Contact adhesive or double-sided tape. The contact adhesive cleans up better but doesn't hold up real long especially with changing temperatures.  The double-sided carpet tape works excellent but it takes some work to clean it up when replacing the rest material.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
I use Shoe Goo, i think its about the same thing as barge cement. You get it in the shoe section at wally world.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
3 rivers archery. Be careful not to use something that will wreck your finish

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Any rubber contact cement will work, if you can't find Barge at ACE hardware use their brand of contact....it works well!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Would you consider using the soft side of velcro (hook and loop) material for rests and/or side plates?  So many use it....Works awesome...... If so,  its peel and stick = problem solved,  no worries about wrecked bow finishes   :archer:

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Prit or Uhu glue stick works great. And you can get one or the other at most any place that has school supplies or stationary.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Ace has Weldwood contact cement.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Just bought some of the weldwood at Ace, I'll give it a try, thanks guys.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
velcro is all i use anymore works great for me

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Yeah, there is still Barge available, but they took out the solvent that made it special because idiot kids were huffin it and going brain dead...

Gee...another good product bites the dust.  From reports, the "new" stuff sticks like spit!  :(

Barge never hurt any finish on any of my bows and you could remove it... it was like "super duper" rubber cement.

I did learn that leathr shops can still get the good stuff in large cans for commercial use...

If it only had a decent shelf life after being opened...    :nono:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
Yeah, there is still Barge available, but they took out the solvent that made it special because idiot kids were huffin it and going brain dead...

Gee...another good product bites the dust.  From reports, the "new" stuff sticks like spit!   :(  

Barge never hurt any finish on any of my bows and you could remove it... it was like "super duper" rubber cement.

I did learn that leathr shops can still get the good stuff in large cans for commercial use...

If it only had a decent shelf life after being opened...     :nono:  
Yeah, I read that on some reviews of the current barge cement some people left on Ace Hardware's website, they took the Tolulene out of it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by rick7:
velcro is all i use anymore works great for me
Yes, that is on my shopping list too, want to pre-cut some and put in my pack in case my rug or side plate decide to just pop off like they almost did the other day when I was hunting. But I like the fur a little better, mainly a looks thing, I know it doesn't work any better:)
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
The Weldwood will work just like Barge for you, and you get a lot more for your money.
Denny

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
After trying many differant adhesives and getting a tip from Rick Welch, I now use nothing but double sided carpet tape, the fabric kind,you can get it at Lowes. this is the best stuff ever, cut it to size of sideplate,rest, apply and the best part is you can use the tape to build out the sideplate for tuning or to get the bow to shoot where your looking. just pull the sideplate down slowly and it will come right off and leave no sticky residue,add another peice of tape put it back and shoot again.There is not a better way to install the sideplate or arrow rest, once you try it you will never use anything else, and its not expensive.
John 3:16

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
I couldn't find any Barge cement at Ace either. They had something called Pliobond that I used. I have no idea if it will hurt the finish or not.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
There are three Hobby Lobbys in Denver, they all carry barge cement. I cut the 40% off coupon out of their ad in the paper when I go shopping for barge cement.

I don't have a problem with the new stuff, sticks just like the old for me. I use it to glue leather handles on my selfbows.

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Tandy still has Barge in the 2oz tubes.  They also sell their own brand in an 8oz can with brush inside the can.  The can is what I use for doing leathercrafting and for side plates, and for putting handle wraps on bows.  I've had good success getting the cans to last by coating the inside of the lid with Vaseline when I first open them.  That way it keeps the air from getting in and causing the cement from getting thick!

K.C.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
I just use Duco Cement, same as what I glue on feathers with.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©