3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Monofilament  (Read 276 times)

Offline Meathook 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Monofilament
« on: December 06, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Does anyone use mono for their strings?I needed to replace my serveing and had some mono.So I will see what happenes.Shot by flashlght tonight so we will see.I am shooting a A&H acs 3pc 64" 57# @28" So far so good.

Meathook

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Monofilament
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
My only concern is that it may start to stretch over time. I don't think it will hurt anything.
James Kerr

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:17:00 AM »
Mono for the entire string or just the center serving?
Serving would be fine. As a whole string I wouldnt
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »
Mono stretches like mad and the sun deteriorates it. Not a good option for string material but you could use it for serving.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
I once bought and endless loop string that was served with mono. Brought it home and shot. It was very LOUD!! I took it down and had it re-served. This was in my early days, before I began building and serving my own strings.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:57:00 AM »
best center serving for me--very slick and clean release!!also the cheapest around!!most fishing lines have the thickness on the spool-so you can really tune the knock fit by going up or down a few thousands --you can keep 5 or 6 thickness around for very little money[and a lifetime supply]--you probably have some in house now--20-25#test is a good starting place--brand doesn't matter
Mike

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
The only trouble with mono for serving is it will wear compared to the higher tech servings.
When it breaks the entire serving goes.
One of the braided,spectra fishing lines would work well.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
I purchased a slammer from Leon  Stuart at the Baltimore shoot last year, he told me the serving on his string was regular old Stren monofilament, and I can say it is still holding strong after a year of shooting. He didn't mention what # test he used, but it looks to be about 20-25#.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
My experience echoes that of Macbow. When it goes (if it does), it all goes. In field repair would be difficult at best. Spare string would be a must and I found it to be noisy.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
I find the new high tech servings to be a bit pricey. I did some research on mono diameters and came up with a 25# Berkely mono that works well and  I have a lifetime supply for about $10 rather than $15 for  one spool of  HALO that will last only a year or two at most. I think mono gives a smoother release, anyway. As for wear and in field fixes...I make a new sting for my bow about a month before the season. Never had an issue with mono wearing out under those conditions. When I was competing years ago and shooting many more arrows than I do now I often would have to replace the mono serving before I replaced the actual string. When it starts to wear it is pretty obvious and it's easy to replace a serving.  Bottom line, it is cheaper  and works really well....IMO.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I used mono servings quite a few years ago.  Found them quite durable and they slipped off the glove nicely.  I usually replaced them when I could see substantial wear at the nock, so seldom had one break.  However, as others have pointed out, when it does break, it totally unravels.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
I'm with Macbow.  I just don't trust the stuff--works hand-in-hand with Murphy's law.  I've seen it go--hard to tell when it's getting a worn spot, when it goes it goes all at once.  A buddy of mine lost a tournament because of it...at least it wasn't a big hunt.

I don't think BCY even sells mono anymore.  It's cheap and all, but...

I make a lot of strings... a LOT.  I average well over 1,000 a year, and have for several years now.  That's just me working on them, no helper.

I use primarily 62XS and Halo.  I forget how many strings I can center serve with one spool.  I think it comes out to around $1 a serving...less than fletching 2 arrows with feathers.  A lot less than one shaft.  A lot less than one broadhead.  Etc. etc. etc.

I'm as frugal as the next guy, but there are some things I just won't scrimp on.  Just my opinion.  I could save myself a lot of money by switching to a cheaper serving material, but I won't sell something I wouldn't use myself.

Chad

Offline Meathook 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Thanks youall for you're input.Youall have a Blessed and safe Holiday,and Good Hunting.

Meathook

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I have a couple of strings from Leon Stewart served with mono.  Probably doesn't last as long as other materials, but I have put a couple thousand shots on one with no problem yet.  I hated it at first and thought it was noisy.  I guess it wore down to the size of my nocks.  No problem now.   I don't know that it is very much better than other materials in any regard, though.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
I'm with Macbow.  I just don't trust the stuff--works hand-in-hand with Murphy's law.  I've seen it go--hard to tell when it's getting a worn spot, when it goes it goes all at once.  A buddy of mine lost a tournament because of it...at least it wasn't a big hunt.

I don't think BCY even sells mono anymore.  It's cheap and all, but...

I make a lot of strings... a LOT.  I average well over 1,000 a year, and have for several years now.  That's just me working on them, no helper.

I use primarily 62XS and Halo.  I forget how many strings I can center serve with one spool.  I think it comes out to around $1 a serving...less than fletching 2 arrows with feathers.  A lot less than one shaft.  A lot less than one broadhead.  Etc. etc. etc.

I'm as frugal as the next guy, but there are some things I just won't scrimp on.  Just my opinion.  I could save myself a lot of money by switching to a cheaper serving material, but I won't sell something I wouldn't use myself.

Chad
As usual, when it comes to anything string related, I totally agree with you, Chad! I'm no expert, nor do I sell strings, but I've made a bunch for myself and some relatives. My guess is your estimate on the cost of serving is on the high side, so for $1 or less per string, I'll stick with the material that is designed for that purpose.

Oh, and I might be a shade beyond frugal...some would say cheap.    :rolleyes:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©