3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Way to Ship a Bow - Private Purchase  (Read 368 times)

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Best Way to Ship a Bow - Private Purchase
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
Regardless of method, take pictures including serial numbers, full length, etc, and make up TWO address labels, put one inside with phone numbers. Save the pictures and insurance receipt.

I like cardboard carpet tubs for longbows, USPS Priority mail.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
Go to your local machine shop.They have some real nice tubes that they get there stock shipped to them in. Real thick cardbroad with wood ends.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
For hybrids and one piece recurves, I make a shipping box of 1" stock and masonite. I use pipe insulation and tape to protect the tips and to keep the limbs from rubbing. Like this:

Then pack it like this.

Screw the top and bottom on:

And tape the joints:

Overkill? Probably, but I have yet to have one damaged. Oh, and I mark it FRAGILE on every side in red.

Longbows go in PVC/carpet tubes as others have said. Three piece can usually be shipped in cardboard boxes, well padded.

USPS priority mail, insured with a tracking number. Signature confirmation is included when you insure the bow. If you have a way of weighing the package, measure it as well and order the postage online. It saves you money and time. Just print it out, tape it to the box (no tape over the UPC), and either request pickup (free) or drop it at the P.O. (what I always do).

Still, shipping is scary. If you do the best packing job you can, at least you know you tried.
Just curious about how much this would cost to ship?
David M. Conroy

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
I suppose 30coupe's method might be safer but the shipping cost has to be quite a little more expensive.I've shipped over 200 bows in cardboard boxes USPS priority mail insured over the last three years and have yet to have one damaged. Lucky, maybe but I've never won the lottery.
Jack Shanks

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
Just some thoughts from a retired US Postmaster:

The problem with Delivery Confirmation is not what it does but what people's perception of it is.

If you want to know when it was delivered (if it was) it will do that. But remember just because it was scanned as delivered does not necessarily mean the addressee actually received it. Nobody is signing for Delivery Confirmation.

If you expect tracking info on your lost package or help in finding it, it will not do that. All it will do in that regard is tell you the last place it was scanned prior to being lost. And that could be in the same facility or hundreds of miles down the road.

I still do use Delivery Confirmation occasionally for specific situations, but your money is much better spent on insurance if applicable.

As far as Priority Mail or Parcel Post just ask for your options. Often because of oversized or non-machineable surcharges there is not much difference in the prices.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
The delivery signature is with insurance $300 and above.

The package cost $21 to ship as I recall. It was relatively light in spite of how it looks.

The bow came to me in this:

I could have shipped it the same way, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. The hassle to trying to collect on a damaged bow just didn't seem worth it compared to the minimal difference in cost.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
I ship USPS priority and it seems the tubes cost twice as much to ship than the boxes. A longbow shipped in a cardboard box was $11 and change, the same bow in a cardboard tube was over $28, go figure
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
I will be shipping a griffin listed in traditional bows  like this if it sells. Cardboard box goes around this so you don't see that it is in a solid case made of chipboard .  

This is the way that it was shipped to me from the maker John.

[/url] [/IMG]

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Splitting hairs with 30Coupe I guess.  I was curious so I looked up the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) on line and under 500 4.5 (I think)I found this:
The USPS collects signatures on any parcel insured for more than $200.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©