3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Predator vs. Bob Lee? Help!  (Read 433 times)

Online Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Predator vs. Bob Lee? Help!
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Hi guys. Looking for some help. I'm looking for a takedown recurve and I really like the looks of both the Predator Classic and the Bob Lee Signature but I haven't had a chance to shoot either. So I'm looking for feedback from those of you that have experience with both. How do they compare? What is the good and bad of each? Smoothness of draw? (assuming same draw length - I pull 28" and want a 62" bow). Workmanship? Quietness? Speed? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback. I look forward to your responses.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Predator vs. Bob Lee? Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
i haven't got any experience with the predator but i can tell you that the bob lees are fine bows. smooth draw, perform well. i'd give 7 out of 10 for workmanship though. every set of limbs i've had the a crack in the finish develops along the end of the limb cap. there must still be some flex there. i have sent limbs to be refinshed and they painted right over the old finish. i would have thought that refinish meant strip back and refinish.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
i havent dealt with a bob lee but i have a classic predator. i LOVE IT.. the finish is Amazing. i slept with the riser the night i got it hahahah... VERY smooth, and DAM FAST! i guarantee you wont be disapointed. but dont go by my judgement. listen to bob lee owners as well. ever since getting my predator classic, my form has improved, my draw length is longer, the bow welds with my hand like a matchmade in heaven. this is a video of me shooting mine.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEx0FKTjE3g&feature=youtu.be
The Fishburglar

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
I've owned both, predator=very fast. Bob Lee=very smooth. if I recall the grip on the predator was larger than the Bob Lee

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Good news is, EITHER of them are absolutely fantastic bows.

Like Fishburglar, my Predator helped me be a better shooter.

I have limited experience with a Bob Lee, having only shot them at the KZOO expo...I was going to buy one, but opted for a Predator, because it was made in my home state. I have no doubt, I would be saying the same thing if I lived in Texas.

Either bow will resale quickly, and chances are you can find a used one of each to try.

Either bow will come with world class customer service.

A WIN WIN situation.

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
i agree 100percent with bone buster

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I have owned both and both are fine bows. The Predator is fast, but if I had to choose between the two it would be a Lee, I liked the grip better on the Lee. It really boils down to personal preference. As mentioned above both have good resale if you can find either used in your specs get it. You can't go wrong with either.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Jeff,I have shot both and would rate them about the same.Both smooth drawing and foregiving, speed about the same, can't go wrong with either one.I think both will let you try one if you pay the shipping.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
ive shot both and they are great bows made by reputable bowyers
i just liked the predator a little better and its a michigan made product
but i cannot see how you could go wrong with either

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Never shot a Lee but I do love Ron's Predators. I know some feel the grip is a little on the big side but Ron will build one to your liking. His shop is a little over an hour from me and I drove up there and dug through his risers and found one that was perfect for me. Smooth and fast bows with the lines of the Bear Super K's of the 60's.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Listen to Larry above,, I've owned both actually I've had 4 bob lee's and still have my original Pittsley Preditor (Darton) and the Bob Lees are all gone to loving homes.. not sure if they changed the grip style but with the preditor I have it has that tiny shelf and a grip shape that forces your hand right up into the throat to the arrow its pretty cool once you get the hang of it but at first most people that hold mine don't like the grip shape, its super fast and pulls very smooth and that is what people who try mine notice first,, Me personally I would without a 2nd thought take the Preditor over the Bob Lee anyday.

the bob lee though is a nice bow and I won't throw it under the bus, it has a sweet grip too, its built solid as a rock and even though its not as fast it still pulls smooth and shoots in the average pound vs arrow weight dept for speed and its much much faster than the $1350.00 shafer I had, its very stable and easy on the arrow spines so getting good broadhead accuracy even with big treesharks is no problem.

the term fast bow to me means I can shoot a heavier arrow so my 50# Preditor with SBD string shoots a 655 grain arrow as fast as my 50#
Palmer classic with Palmer string shooting a 540 grain arrow and thats why I like the Pittsley because the cast of the arrow stays the same.
"Us vs Them"

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Never shot a predator but my Lee is super forgiving and super easy to tune.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
Bob Lee's are fantastic! Very smooth, very fast and forgiving. The newer ones workmanship is wonderful! Right up there with the best of bows. You won't be even a bit disappointed with the Bob Lee. And the service is second to none.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by larry:
I've owned both, predator=very fast. Bob Lee=very smooth. if I recall the grip on the predator was larger than the Bob Lee
X2

My Predator was smokin' fast and accurate.  My Lee was very accurate and smooth, no slouch on speed either.

Grip wise, I like the Lee's.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Lee.... Lee.... Lee....

No contest in my opinion.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Predator!! Awesme speed,smooth,and quiet, with great customer service!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I love my three bob lee's
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
I owned a Lee and a bunch of other nice bows and the best thing I can tell you is to try before you buy. A super bow for one person may not fit another at all. Make every effort to try different bows before buying. Go to the big box stores and try what they have. Either of the bows you are looking at are great bows but will they be great for you?

Offline White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
I love Bob's bows!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
I have two Predators and love them. They shoot fast and well.  The lighter one has a narrower handle and it was my go to bow for several years.  It went everywhere with me.

I am, unfortunately for me, switching from right handed to left handed due to long standing bouts of target panic that I cannot beat.

I will be selling all my right hand gear soon as I get time to clean it up.  I have a Predator Classic 56# at 28 and a Predator Hunter 66#  @ 28. I will be posting them soon if interested.

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©