3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone hunt in the rain?  (Read 422 times)

Offline nampook93

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone hunt in the rain?
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Got up this morning and it is raining.  Decided to wait out the rain.  I am wondering how many of you would go out in the rain if you were hunting around home.  If you do go out how do you stay keep yourself and your equipment dry or don't you worry about it. What about blood trails?  Just wondering.

Offline Meathook 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone hunt in the rain?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
Be prepaired.I pratice in the rain,silicone on feathers,I use a cat quiver, sitka rain gear.As long as there is no lightning,and not a gully washer.Iv always seen deer after a rain.I always pratice with everything before going to the woods,even soaked feathers to see how well they group.

Good Luck

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »
I love to hunt in the rain as long as it's not really pouring. I've worked in logging and landclearing since high school. When we were cutting with chainsaws and cable skidders I used to get quite a few days off because of rain,so that is mainly when I hunted.I love stalking around on a rainy day. The woods are quiet and alot of critters are moving.Now we use grapple skidders and feller bunchers so we work through the light rain.Been at it about 25 years,so now I just take the day off to go hunting.  :D

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
I stopped hunting in the rain a few years ago after loosing a buck in the cattails due to a washed out blood trail.    "[dntthnk]"    

Stinks because hunting in a very light rain can be productive, I just don't want to go through that again.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
I stopped hunting in the rain after losing the blood trail on two deer.  It still bothers me.  It's a great time for a little scouting, though.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
My finest hunting and biggest bucks have been on rainy days.  Not so much during the rain but being there in the stand when the rains stops.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
I like a light rain.
Don't wait to track your game like you would on a dry day. Go after him,,, it's slow, quite going until you find it down or give a follow up shot.
Deer will get your scent easier in moist weather so always play the wind while huntinf or following up a trail.
One good thing about rain on public lands,,, you're usually the only one out there!
Even without proper rain gear in a light rain, I can tough it out most of the day if it is above freezing.
I will also ground hunt more than tree standing in the rain. A good time to still hunt and slip around the woods. Even if you don't slip up on something as stated above,,, it's a good time to scout new areas.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
Lots of times if I want to hunt, it will be raining, as long as it isn't a downpour, which is not often, I will hunt. Part of life in the tropics.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
What osagetree said X10 !!!
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
I don't mind hunting in the rain. If the wind is reasonable ill sit if the wind sounds like its going to bring a limb down on my head at any minute I figure the deer feel the same. On these days ill be sneaking and lurking pockets of cover like goldenrod fields corn fields. My Uncle Bud use to say " you can't kill a deer from camp"  :) we proved him wrong a couple times but there is a very good point there!
As far as blood trails... for me a marginal or poor hit is just that rain or shine! Well hit deer often drop in sight. Take good shots at good distances and that means something different for us all :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Those are the days you want to be sitting in a nice pop-up blind where you are not getting soaked all day or have a special area where you need to sneak in silently. I don't like sitting exposed in a steady rain for very long. If I wake up to rain without a nice, dry blind or a sneaky spot to go, I roll over and go back to sleep.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
amar911,
Bet I would be dead asleep in 5 minutes in a pop up with that rain coming down singing me to sleep.....  :biglaugh:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Cat quivers, and rain gear...
but like stated above the rain washes away blood. So I will hunt if it looks like it will stop soon.  In Colo our rains storms are usually short.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Unless it's Niagaga falls pouring down or there is lightning,I'm there...
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
You wouldn't get much hunting done in Oregon if you didn't hunt in the rain. But....We don't do a lot of tree stand hunting out here though. i don't think i could handle sitting for long periods in the rain.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
If you live in western Washington and hunt there you are most likely to be hunting in the rain. Not only is it wet it is most likely to be brushy too so blood trailing is no small task. Shot placement needs to be good, I shoot Simmons BH's and 3 blade thunderheads for good blood trails.

Most hunting for blacktails and elk is spot and stalk so you need good quiet clothing. I prefer wool or heavy fleece unless it's the early season. I use powdered fletching waterproofing. This year I tried a Cat Quiver VI and liked it pretty well except for the difficulty of getting my stump arrow back in with out taking my pack off.

The good thing about rain is it keeps things quiet and can cover some of your noise. Dress well, keep the wind in your face and hunting in the rain can be fun and successful. I killed my best blacktail in the pouring down rain.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
Misty light rain= good hunting. After a rain shower lets up= very good hunting. I get out there whenever time allows unless it's pouring buckets, then I'll hang at camp, ready to go as soon as it stops. Nice quiet walking and rain dripping hides a lot of noise.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
During and after a rain is the only time the ground isn't crunchy around here.  It dries out quick!  By far the best time to still hunt.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Biggest buck I have ever taken was in a downpour under a umbrella, he never knew what hit him, went only 10 yards and fell over.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Not anymore. I have never really liked getting rained on, but as I have gotten older, I like it even less. A brief shower doesn't bother me but if it settles into a steady rain, I pack up and go home.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©