3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stand or blind  (Read 321 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
stand or blind
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Trying to decide whether to put up a pop up or a tree stand.
I recently bought a house with 5 acres. Borders 40 of woods.
In lower corner ther is a lot of sign, scrapes and rubs.

I can get a ladderstand for 49 dollars (on sale at Menards)
A blind big enough to allow a long bow will be twice as much.
They both have advantages and disadvantages.
What do you think?
Slickhead

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stand or blind
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
I have both, and if I was in your place, I would opt for the Stand.Blinds limit your view, unless you know exactly where to expect the shot.
Blinds are more difficult for me,to transport back and forth from the Woods,as Thieves wont let your equipment alone. Shooting through my Blind, lessens my Depth perception, and makes it difficult to accurately judge distance.Blinds for me however are worth their weight in Gold, in Rainy Weather.
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
If it's on your own land, build a ground blind out of surrounding brush, downed limbs, etc.  That's free.

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
X2 what Orion said! Find out where the animals are coming and going and then place your bush blinds where ever you want them. No cost !  This exactly what I have been doing. Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
X3 on Orion!  Play the wind and build a simple brush blind on both sides of the trail you expect them to use.

If you don't mind the expense of the tree stand you can always get one latter after you nail down the deer's tendencies.  

Sure is satisfying to get it done from a brush blind you did yourself!  Keep us posted.

Good Luck!
K.C.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
×4 orion... building natural blinds is a blast to me. I often take a quick photo of my set up because im proud of it lol.
Not to be the pessimist but the down side to anything permanently left behind is others hunting your setup while u don't!   I suppose that depends on the people around you... it seems I hunt high traffic areas lately...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
orion knows what he's talking about.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I'd go with the cheap ladder stand to start with. It will increase your range of vision over the ground blind, whether commercial or natural. Once you sit in the stand a few times, you will see the deer's tendencies. Then if you like, make your blinds where you are more certain of success.

The downside to the Menard's stand is its height. You will have to be pretty selective with placement and plan to sit very still or you will get picked off easily. The same can be said for the natural blind though. If you go that route, make sure you are comfortable enough to sit still for long periods in your blind.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
I also agree with the ground blind build, you can put up two or three in a day and have a spot for all wind directions. You can also build it with multiple shooting lanes for whatever direction they may come in. and you can make it as comfortable as you want.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
I made a a ghillie suit and boonie out of Rancho Safari blind material and a one piece camo coverall. I had a buck 10 yds to my right and a doe 5 yds back to my left at the same time, never busted me. That was exihilerating to say the least. Add  a natural ground blind for several winds and you'd be having as much fun as me!
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
x2 for what 30coupe said.shell out the fifty bucks put the stand up right.That means reading direction which can take time.Clear limbs and place them around the tree your in.KInda like a ground blind with a view.Put it up where you see sign and wait.Give the stand at least five hunts before you move it.Wait till dark before getting out to see if deer are in the area.When the moment arrives be ready and take only good shots.If you go with a ground blind id wear some orange cause to alot of hunters it looks like a deer.Good luck

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
More and more I have been hunting from the ground and liking it.  I use a ghillie, but a good ground blind is as good except for the portability.  If it were mine, I would follow Orion's lead and build several so you can hunt most winds.  
ChuckC

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Deer do not like pop up blinds that were not there yesterday. You need to set them up and let the deer get accustomed to them.  I would do both, buy a ladder stand and build some blinds and have fun!
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Ladder stand and then throw together a small natural blind.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by ISP 5353:
Ladder stand and then throw together a small natural blind.
X2
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Great suggestion on the natural ground blind guys....saving the OP some money!  I like the idea of the ladder stand a natural ground blind.
>>>--------->

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
looks like a ladder stand for some hunts and ground for others
Thanks
Slickhead

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
X5 on Orion's ground blind.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
i would use ladder stand in best possible spot, and use a natural ground blind if wind changes. so you can get down and sneak over there quick.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
I have and hunt my own 20 acres.  I have a "natural" ground blind I supplemented with branches, saplings and a bench into a good place to sit (relatively dry under hemlocks) but the deer don't necessarily cooperate.  Some years it's a better place to sit than others.  When you have a short time to hunt it is much quicker to just hit the woods for a few hours in a natural gound blind.

The treestand and ladderstand (I only have one each) I place where scouting has shown a productive travel lane.  One I replace annually in the same tree for the last four years.  It's a natural funnel and I always see deer.  The ladder stand I place as a prospecting tool.  

Santa came early this year and I now have a trail camera.  This will (hopefully) show me when the deer are.  

Good luck with your set-up.  Nothing as satisfying as a buck taken off your own property.  Your five, or even my 20, make still-hunting a deer tough.  That will, I hope, happen for me eventually with a bow.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©