3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rain Gear  (Read 429 times)

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
Rain Gear
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
I would like to hear some opinions on high end raingear with packable and durable first concern.thanks
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rain Gear
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
High end is the way to go. I had rain gear that did not breathe and you would sweat so much that you would be just as wet as if you wern't wearing rain gear. Pella rain gear is top notch.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
I have only owned Cabelas MTO50...it is excellent and packable. I wore it through hell in a caribou hunt on the isle of Newfoundland constantly on the move. Rained every day.
My friend bought the Alaskan Guide jacket from Cabelas for an Alaskan hunt, but said it was no better than the MTO50.
David M. Conroy

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I use ECWS(us military cold weather parka and pants) the stuff is great and works as a rain gear(gortex) and an outer layer for cold weather. Its not cheap!$200.00 for the parka and $100.00 for the pants. The parka has inner chest pockets,outer pockets and sleeve pockets,under arm vent zippers,inner waist snow seal cuff. and a ton of other extra extras.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I bought sitga gear rain gear 3 years ago..it is pack able, breathable, durable, and it works. Kuiu would be an alternative that works just as well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Don't see it much anymore, but I have used Peter Storm raingear for years. Best test was a week of rainy weather hunting moose in Maine. Good stuff
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
A few years ago, I got some Mad Dog raingear while on a trip to the Oregon coast. Folks over there know something about rain. Last year, we went to Alaska and it rained constantly, and the Mad Dog stuff kept me dry.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
X2 on cabella's MTO50 packable raingear. Have used several times hunting Kodiak Island where rain is a fact of life.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
If you tree stand hunt-your needs are different from ground hunting and different again from close in stalking. I have tried many many outfits and concluded none work for heavy exertion or closing in for the kill. Now I go with wool mostly; some of the "almost rain gear" with that DWR treatment seem to work better as a compromise than gore-tex. Right now I'm wearing sitka downpour-not bad; you won't get wet from the outside-you will from the inside, and the pants are too crunchy if you are trying to be really quiet.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
I have Cabella's space rain gear, bibs and pullover, I have used it twice in northern BC on MG hunts, and many times for elk and mule deer.  its light, packable and block wind, rain and wind driven rain.  my only complant is it flaps alittle in heavy winds but in some of the winds it has flapped in have been 30-40 + mph. " we should have not been hunting"
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
Best: Kuiu Chugach Jacket and Pants

Excellent (and quieter than the Kuiu): Core4Element Torrent Jacket and Pants

I think the Sitka rain suit is comparable to the Core4Element, but maybe not as quiet.

I also have the Cabela's MTO50, and it is good as well as being much less expensive.

I personally would pick the Kuiu if packable and durable are your main concerns. The others are not in the same league, in my experience (my experience is somewhat limited since I would rather not spend all my time outside testing rain gear), but the best rain gear, like the Kuiu Chugach, currently needs to be a true hard shell, so it is significantly noisier than some of the other makes. That's why I have the Core4Element for the times when the noise factor is important and there won't be heavy rain throughout the hunt. Not that the Kuiu stuff is super noisy, either, but it certainly is not nearly as quiet as a brushed polyester.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Thank you everybody for there coments.a little noise would not bother me I would mostly be useing it for heavy rain and wind ,My wool does a good job in light rain.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
rivers west, stayed dry today..

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
X2 on the Mad Dog and it is quiet too! I wear it on the outside when it is windy and cold also.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
X3 on Cabelas MT050.  Don't take a trip without it.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
X2 on the ecwcs the pants are a bit noisy but wind and rain proof they are.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Rivers west worked for me for about 8 days... That's a lot of hiking through soaked brush. Now it's not to water proof but comepared to other I have used I was happy with it. I might try Sitka next but the price tag is a bit steep for my blood.

I for early season I like the cheap plastic type packable stuff that packs into a small pouch. It's loud, but in OR during early season rain is not a major issue so I get by with it and it keeps my pack lightweight
Levi Bedortha

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 04:03:00 AM »
Rivers west works good for me. interesting bearsfeet I havnt had mine leak yet. Nice and warm to for the winter.

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 05:30:00 AM »
Cabela's space rain gear. Very light and packable.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
I also like cabelas mt050. Have never got wet.
>>>------John------>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©