3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for all you "Old Timers"  (Read 1936 times)

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for all you "Old Timers"
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Colt recurve 47# early 70's.

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
Smile when you say that, young'un

Offline rvrbtm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
1965 my parents gave me a 37# Bear Cub for my graduation which was to be May 66'. Think they thought if they waited I would be in Vietnam the next fall and not get to use it to hunt. Gosh I got good with that bow. Shot every evening just walking through the hay fields shooting bales. Wish I could still shoot that good. Cedar arrows out of the nail keg from B&W sporting good store. Bear razor heads. Killed two bunnies running that fall and shot my first deer with it. Turns out the next fall I went to college to play football. Should have gone to study would have made the whole process much quicker and easier. 68' or 69' graduated to a Kodiak and have never shot as good since the Cub.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
I just came up with '75 at ramdom. Thinking back to all my old bow hunting mags that influenced me were around '74.  To me that was the "golden age"
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Ben Pearson Colt was my first bow after my solid fiberglass bear.Built in 1968, it was at the low end of the line but a great bow. 62" 45@28"  Then I got a 52" Herters (still have it) 45XX@28" Both great bows and really great memories of hunting with those bows and my uncle and grandfather.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
This has been a fun trip down memory lane!  I started bowhunting in 1970 and took my first deer in '73.  My bow was a Bear Kodak Mag #45 with a pin sight that I drilled and mounted myself.  It may have been a Merrel Heart Shot, if I remember correctly.  The arrow I took the deer was a full length 2018 with 3, 5.5 inch par. feathers.  We didn't know 'nutting about tuning and/or cutting down an arrow.  That's the way it came so that's the way we used it! The shaft was a Swift 2018.  These were the "shiny" ones, natural aluminum color.  My broadhead was a Bear Razorhead.  I still have the arrow and broadhead.  The bow has long been gone.
 I wish I knew how to post pictures here.  I still have the picture of that buck.  It ought to be a rule here that if you post a picture on this thread from your early years that you MUST post a more recent picture also!    :eek:   Our equipment isn't the only thing that has changed!   :laughing:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
I never pick up a bow before about 1986 so I guess that means I am NOT an "Old Timer"!

Bisch

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »
When I was in jr high I bought my first "real" hunting bow that I still have today, a 50 @ 28 Bear K Mag. I believe it was 1966 or so. I had to save up for the $65 that it cost new. I've spent ALOT of time carrying that bow in the woods. It has been retired to serve as a mantle piece now.
Fred Bear  was, and still is, my hero.   :notworthy:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
My first bow...let's see.  It was a birthday present for I'm going to guess my 9th birthday, that would be 1970.  It was one of those dual shelf orange and white fiberglass models.  By 1975/76 I had my first recurve, and Indian archery 35@28" deal and was it was the ticket at the time.  At least to me. I still have it.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
bear kodiak 45lbs. mid 60's

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »

Ben Pearson Ole Ben longbow and a Ben Pearson Cougar recurve.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
1968 Red Wing Hunter 58"AMO 45# (Larry's Sport Shop) bought it with my grass cuttin' money...been thru 2 nephews and still shoots like a dream.

God bless,  Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
1970 Bear Grizzly my grandma helped me buy. 58" 42@28. Micro Flite arrows, I don't recall the number ( I think they were 7's). MA3 small broadheads.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Living on a farm in the 50's I made my bows out of hickory and would get feathers from the chicken coop for my arrows. I guess I was making self bows before I knew what I was doing. In 1956 my dad let me mail order a 22 rifle from the Sears & Roebuck catalog, I laid down the bow. Sorry guns kick ass! Nine years later out of active duty from the navy the urge to hunt with a bow was back. In 1966 I bought a Ben Pearson and in October I went to Vermont for 3 days by my self to hunt deer, I didn't get it done in 3 days. The following October I took a week off and went back to Vermont and shot a deer with that bow. I was using Micro Flite shafts and Super Hilbre broadheads .That bow broke, and either 1968 or    1969 I bought a 52" Red Wing Hunter 50 lbs amo. I'm using it again this year love how quiet Dacron string is, or, am I reliving my youth.

Offline JoeArizona

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
In the mid 70's I was using a 30# Wing Falcon bow with Microflite 4 arrows.  Helped a guy dig a basement by shovel and wheelbarrow for the money.  Great setup for small game.
Still have the bow and most of the arrows...was it really that long ago?

Joe
Joe

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them...then beat them!"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
A Shakespeare Necedah and then a green Bear Kodiak Hunter.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
First bow that i hunted with and put the desire in me was a red cedar bow that my father made me with a axe but it was the greatest bow in the world . it but fear in a lot of rabbits and birds but i dont remember it ever bringing blood that was 1959. from there it was a borrowed solid glass bow that i shot my first deer tho it wasnt the one i was shooting at . Then in 1967 it was a browning nonad stalker. Still a good bow havnt taken it hunting in a long time maybe soon.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
My first hunting bow was a 1969 Grizzly but that was in 1992.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
My first hunting bow was a Ben Pearson solid fiberglass bow that I chased rabbits with in the fields around Loveland Co.  The yrar was 1964.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Awesome bows and stories!  There's gotta be more " mature" now hunters out there   :campfire:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©