3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for all you "Old Timers"  (Read 1935 times)

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for all you "Old Timers"
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
#45 pound Bear.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
That was a great one Rick!!  I'm one of those whipper snappers....I'm a '68 model!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
First bow? Can't remember that far back.Second bow a bear cub,Third bow and the one that I wish I still owned Was a wing thunderbird brought down many a deer with that bow including the one in my avatar.
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
47# Staghorn Recurve made in Merrill, Wisconsin.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
In 1959 or 60 my parents gave me a 66" Bear bow that was marked 40#.. I shot it for some time until about 1966 when I got a Wing "Red Wing" hunter, two of them in fact.. They were 58", one was 43 and the other was 46 at 28".  

More than I can remember right off since then..

I thought I'd contribute to the thread even though I'm not an "old timer"....

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
1963,Bear red fox handed to me by Mr Fred his self was my first. Still have it, been through two kids and two grandkids shoot it now. First real huntin bow though was a wonder bow in 1968 paid for with hay bailin money. Seems like alot of years ago in some ways...like yesterday in others.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
It seems that many are still shooting the same bows now that they did way back then. I imagine, Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, or Howard Hill could stroll into many of our camps today and find equipment that they were very familiar with.
Sam

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
In 1965 got a Ben Pearson 45# Cougar for my 12th birthday,I've still got it.In 1972 got a New Browning Cobra 50"-58#, still wish I had that one.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline mtnman1945

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
My first real store bought bow was a Bear Alaskan.  I think it was 1958.  I had that bow for years and it was sold in a yard sale by accident while I was in military. I sure miss that old bow 46#@28".
Surrender is not a Ranger word.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
Not sure how I missed this thread before now but I had to read through it from the begining. Great stories!

For me, I had others before but the first bow that I can remember the brand was a solid fiberglass Ben Pearson Jet 35# that I acquired second hand about mid sixties. Could be shot left or right and I chose left as that is the way Fred Bear shot. I'm right handed but no one told me why I should shoot one way or the other and I just figured it was a matter of choice. My first new bow was a AMF Red Wing Hunter 45# also left hand that I purchased in the late sixties or early seventies at the Hunter's Shack in Flint Michigan for $34.I wanted a Bear Super Magnum but they were twice as much. After my stint in the army 1972-74 a friend lent me a right handed Bear Grizzly which I used for a few seasons. I gave my other two bows to my young nephews and they were promptly taken away by their mother after they used the back of the garage for target practice. They should be able to get them back this year when the youngest turns 40 and I then will be able to give them some proper instruction on using them.
Jack Shanks

Offline Dave Paradowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
My first real bow was a Bear Tamerlane. At 32# it was a nice target bow. My first hunting bow I believe was also a Bear. I don't remember the name but it was 48# and all black....Dave

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
About 1962, my grandfather gave me his old lemonwood longbow.  Within a year, it became a 3 piece.  He then gave me his custom recurve built in 1946 or 47.  I played with it hunting small game-rabbits, armadillo, etc, until I went into the Air Force in 1971.  While stationed in Denver, I bought a new Browning Safari ll at the BX.  I never shot that bow until I was assigned to Dover in 1975, after 2 years in Thailand.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
WOW!  What a great thread. Ric O'Shay, your post just touched a note in my spirit.  Lots of modern gear guys would never understand the emotions evoked by these posts.  

My first "real" bow was a lemon wood longbow by Indian Archery out of Evansville, Indiana.  Way too strong (50#) for a 12 year old kid but for some reason it's what I wanted and dad and the sales clerk at Beards Sporting Goods in Evansville let me choose that one over the much better suited 35#er.   :)  I never hunted with that one....my first hunting bow came about 1974 and was a Cravotta Bros. Black Hawk recurve, 50@28" and 58" long with the absolutely necessary brush buttons, three pronged silencers and clamp-on Kwikee quiver and slide on camo limb covers that must have slowed the bow down by a ton!  My arrows were POC with Bodkin heads.

I think that while we know so much more these days about setting up equipment, the biology of deer, understand the rut, etc, etc, I'm not sure we have more fun.  There was something magical in those days.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©