3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heat for my new shop...  (Read 403 times)

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Heat for my new shop...
« on: December 09, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Just wondering what type heat everyone uses in their work shops.

I've got my new shop in the dry now and ready for electrial, insulation and finished interior walls. I want to be able to use it in cold weather instead of only in the late Spring, Summer, and early Fall.

Open flame heat scares the heck out of me due to the large amount of dust that always builds up when working with wood.

It's not a large building 400 sq. ft.

I ain't loaded with $$$ so I need something that want cost an arm or a leg.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heat for my new shop...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
I sure like the overhead radient heater in my shop. (Natural gas or lp) Hunt the used market.
I would ck waste oil burners also for "free" fuel.
About time for a new photo series from you...hint!

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Troy, I built a new shop for my trim business a few years back.28x24 with 8'2" ceiling. I insulated it very well and heat it with a 30,000 btu ventless NG radiant heater (wall mounted). We are in about the same climate I would guess. Works great and the bill is very reasonable monthly.I actually built my building too tight and later put in a vent (with opening and closing capabilities) directly under the heater to let in fresh air for the heater.In my business I spray adhesives regularly and with the building being so tight , put in an exhaust fan directly above my work table. I flip it on while spraying.With dust I don't know. Almost all heating systems have a flame somewhere along the way, electric being the obvious one not using flame. My workshop at home is also well insulated but it's only 10x24. I heat it with an 8 foot electric baseboard heater and that works very well too.If insulated right 2 - 8 footers might serve you well.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Woodworking tools do not do well with non-ventilated heat sources like the wall mounted gas heaters that are common in the big box stores.  Radiant floor heat is considered the best as they do not produce moisture when heating and are also not at all a potential fire hazard.  Unfortunately these units can be expensive unless you DIY.  They are relatively easy to install and have real solar potential.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
I you use table saws and such a shop vac with extra hose(hooked up to the table saw and other machines) and the box attachments will eliminate most of the wood dust and such. Then a small closed box wood burner would do a great job.You can use the wood scrapes for fuel. Or a electric or kerosene(can smell) heater would work.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
I've been using a wood stove in my shop  / shops for 30 years now and i haven't blown up yet... Nothing matches the dry heat of a wood stove on a cold rainy day. IMO

But....Wood heat requires a lot of labor cutting and splitting it every year though. i typically cut and split 8-10 cords per year for the house and the shop. So it's not for everyone. Coming up with free wood to cut is becoming harder every year too. the last couple years I've just purchased log truck loads delivered to the ranch.

Kirk

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
I'd say Toyostove oil monitor...

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
Edenpure
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
I heat my 720 sqft detached garage with a 220V electric heater I bought from Petter Supply a few years back.  Got it for about $200.00.  It came with a plug and mounting bracket.  I mounted it in the ceiling, installed the plug and ran 25 ft of #10 wire to a 30 amp breaker.  Has a built in dial type thermostat and will run me out of the garage if I turn it very high.  Inexpensive and fairly economical.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Kirk,

Already have to cut and split wood for the house. I'd rather not have to worry with cutting more.  :campfire:  

Since I have no water pipes to contend with, the heat will be shut off at night and the days I'm not in the shop. I'll be spending as much $$$ on insulation as almost anything else.

So far I've looked at several types of electrial heaters. With the amount I'm going to spend on insulation I hope it doesn't require alot of heat.

Several years ago I saw an oil filed heater that didn't have a fan on it. Plug it in and set the dial to the desired heat needed. Once the oil was hot it still gave off heat for a few hours after being shut off.

Only problem is I can't seem to find out anything on this type heater.

Anyone have an idea about this type heater???

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
I have a 20x24 woodshop that heat with a wallmount propane heater for about 8 years or so now.  I have cabinet saws, sanders,planer, joiners, exterior dust collection as so on.  Works good no issues.  Beware of woodburners, it will void most insurance policies anymore around here. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Troy,

I have used electric oil-filled heaters.  One was a radiator style and the other was a floor tbaseboard type unit.  Both work well and do not prevent a fire hazard if they are wired properly (no extension cords) but they do not hold heat for several hours (maybe an hour at best) afterwards.  I think the baseboard type is still available.  Unfortunately most electric based units are the most costly to run.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Troy, the oil filled heaters are called "hydronic", no real advantange. They stay wwarme for a while but have to be reheated every cycle too, just a slower way of doing the same thing.

For a baseboard to work properly, it requires open space in front and above for air to circulate naturaly, block the natural airflow and they take alot longer to warm things up.

Tshooter has the best answer in this case, an electric hi-wall/ceiling mount unit. It will heat up quick, wont run too much in a well insulated building and it is up out of the way.

Eric

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
In my taxidermy shop, I have a propane furnace with a heat pump. I run the heat pump down to 30 deg. and it automatically switches to propane. I'm very happy with it, but i keep heat on all the time and the heat pump gives me ac in the summer. In your case, I would recommend a high efficiency propane furnace. The high efficiency units pipe combustion air in from the outside and exhaust air goes outside in another pipe. That way you don't need to be concerned with sawdust. Hope this helps
Jim

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
I think the heaters that Tshooter is referring to are available at most farm supply stores.  They are sometmes called milk house heaters accordingly.  These are very common in the dairy barns here.  But don't just ask for a "milk house" heater as some people call the small floor standing (110V) units found in hardware stores the same thing.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
I have a 30,000 btu propane ceiling mounted furnace.  It is vented and is very efficient.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
I'd look at an indirect fired "Hot Dawg" style heater. They have a sealed combustion chamber and draw the combustion air from the outside.

They are ceiling mounted. I believe that the top of the unit can be as close as 1" to the ceiling. They are really easy to hang with Uni-Strut and threaded rod. I believe that they weigh under 60lbs.

You will need to have a dedicated 15A 120V circuit to the unit and also a gas line. I believe that you can order them for either propane or natural gas.

Here is one model:

https://www.rezspec.com/catalog-udas.html  

and another:

http://www.modinehvac.com/v2portal/page/portal/hvac/hvacResidentialDefault/hvac_com/residential_hot_dawg/level_2_content2_035.htm  

You'd only need a 30,000 btu/h heater to heat your space.

Hope that helps,

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
Troy, the oil filled heaters are called "hydronic",

Eric
Eric, You should really google "hydronic heat". I believe the terms "hydronic heat" and "radiant heat" are interchangeable.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
The oil filled heater I saw several years ago was old, very heavy and pretty big (atleast 4' long and 30" high). Most likely cast steel.

Once I finish the shop I can see how cold it gets inside on a cold day.

Think I try a simple electric box heater first. Afterwards, if I need more I'll look into something bigger.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
I used to use a couple halogen work lights to heat a studio apartment.  I used them for light and heat.  They really crank out heat and you can get 2 or 3 for less than $100.  It's a little unconventional, but it works.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©