3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie suit  (Read 622 times)

Offline Dave Paradowski

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie suit
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Who hunts in a ghillie suit? I just bought one cheap. How well do they work?     Thanks, Dave

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie suit
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
I use one from time to time they are very effective. I have had turkey and deer almost close enough to touch.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline pukwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
I love mine.  I started using one 2yrs ago, now it's all I use anymore.  The only hard part is learning how to draw your bow with the deer so close.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Im gonna keep an eye on this thread. Ive been considering one for quite some time, but to me they look kind of cumbersome when trying to shoot.
Perhaps this thread will give us all a little insight.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Had some close in counters this year, they just were not legal deer.
IMO! The transition from top of head through the shoulders is most important to hide the human shape.
I can't stand hood types, so I cut the hood off and added it to a fedora, so I can turn my head without bunching up.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
I made one and love it.  Practice while wearing it, and trim accordingly, and get used to it.  I think they work great, just have a lot of cover behind you if possible.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Moleman,  I trimmed mine a lot in the left arm and left armpit to clear my string.  They can be bulky, you just have to trim them down to make them work.  I don't have a hood, I use a boonie hat with the burlap on it, and paint my face.  My jacket is heavy like a winter coat, probably about 5 yards of burlap on it, and warm too.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
I made my own this year. Used it 3 times but did not see deer. I think they are effective
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline pukwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
To keep the string out of the way, I just cut the sleeve off of an old camo shirt and pull it up on my bow arm.  It has worked well for me.

Offline Bow-n-Head

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
I made mine like a hosptal gown (open in the back accept for about 6" on the upper back). Used netting & burlap strips. Sleeveless (wear a como or leafy shirt) Made a sepeate hood & also a "boonie hat" that I punched 1/4" hole & ran burlap through them. Hood works great if U wear a bucket hat under it.  Hope this helps.  Regards;  Ray

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
You can easliy modify them to fit your needs or style
of shooting. I have a rancho safari short jacket with hood. Sometimes i use the hood but most of the time i wear a boonie cover i have ghillied up. I think they are a great tool to have in your arsenal.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Love mine.  Have a cheapo one that was less than $70.00.  Started building one, but haven't finished it, yet.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I wore one for the first time this year.  I was amazed at the deer that would look right past me.  I'm sold on their effectiveness...
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
I'm in the middle of making one. I've never used one before but I can imagine it makes a difference.

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
I made one and have used it quite a bit this year. I've had a doe back and to my left at 5 yds and a small buck back and to my right about 10 yds at the same time,  watched them blink and breathe, man that was intense, they never saw me as danger and never smelled me! I've passed on several bucks at ground level this year early season just so I could keep having fun.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
I made one as well.  Last spring had a Turkey at about 8 yds as I was standing taking a potty break. Have had Deer multiple times anywhere from 5 to 10 yds.  They work very well as long as you play the wind direction correctly.  I never hunted from the ground until this year and I really do enjoy it.
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline Dave Paradowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll be looking forward to practicing with it and using it for hunting turkey this spring...........Dave

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
I am in the process of finishing one.

Once it's done I'll post up some photos.

I went to the effort because I know they work.

I owned a Rancho Safari but found it heavier and warmer than I wanted and that spurred me to build my own.

I've had turkey brush up against me, Woodcock walk across my lap,squirrels climb on me and all kinds of song birds use me as a perch, plus the deer are unaware of my presence.

It's the closest I can get to feeling invisible.

Totally awesome feeling!!!!!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
I have been using them for several years now. Wish I had tried them 25 years sooner. Whether in a natural hide or stalking through the woods, they are very effective.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Dave like you i havent used one out in the field yet but am looking forward to it especially come spring turkey season!

I am wondering if anyone uses it during gun season?

Mudd i saw where you made a vest with flapping strips out of blaze orange....does it work well...and does anyone else do this?
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©