3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie suit  (Read 621 times)

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie suit
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
you can achieve the same effect with a leafy suit...50 bucks from cabelas.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
I tried the Ghillie type suit from Rancho Safari, the shaggie long coat. On 2 outings I had deer a 6 yards stop and look at me and then look past me with out spooking......the bad thing they caught me with my bow in lap so I could not do a thing. Pretty neat counting their eye lashes when they are that close.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Mudd,

I sold my Rancho Safari longcoat and boonie but kept the instant blind. The longcoat was hot, heavy and noisy for me. I loved how I felt invisible but with no wind it was hard to draw with no noise. I got to thinking about this blind material and an old 1 piece camo suit I never used. I started cutting and piecing together material to the suit and came up with a ghillie suit of my dreams. Made my own boonie to match. I also covered my ALICE military pack with the material and had a piece 2'x7' I use as a back drop  or blind. I roll all this up in 1 roll with a 3 legged chair strapped together and put it all on when I get to where I'm hunting. I love it and it's an awesome tool to have in my arsenal for hunting. I see many uses for it all year round. I may start building another as a spare.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
huntsmanlance ~ Yes sir, I made my version of a "hunter Orange Ghuillie" since camo orange isn't legal in Missouri.

I had deer look right through me wearing it so my guess is, it worked!

Ken I'd love to see pictures of your set up. I may know what you're talking about.."instant blind" but I'd like to see it to be sure.

I make a very portable folding blind to sit behind that I love. It is so easy to pack and it can also be used to haul other stuff in. I just tuck any extras I want in between the folds and off I go.

Here is a picture of my early model.

The one I use now is much lighter because I changed from burlap to die-cut leafy camo material I picked up at "Wally-world".

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Very cool Mudd! Do you have the strips on the hood too? I would think it would work fine for deer....maybe even add some slightly different shades of orange to break it up?

I want to go hunt some turkeys over the holiday break and would love to use my ghillie....but i dont want to get shot by some goober....nor get into trouble with a warden on public land

Wondering....if you are on private land and there arent hunters with guns, or they are told your out there....do you have to wear the orange after your set up?

Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
I have a Marc Anthony suit and I've used it a few times.   It's amazing how deer just walk right up to you if the wind is right.

I attempted to hunt in mine this weekend but the temps were in the 60s and I had to come out of it, right quick.

I'd recommend that you pick something else, perhaps an ASAT suit unless it's cooler, say below 50 with a cooling breeze.   The MA suits are wonderful but they are incredibly warm too.

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
Cut a pair of panty hose in half and used one leg to tame the fringes on my left arm.  Worked great and did not lessen the camo of the suit.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
Mudd I will get some photos together as soon as I can, stay tuned. Working and hunting through the end of year. I'll try to take some time in the wilderness to take some self photos for you. The one piece coverall is roomy enough for putting cold weather layers underneath and very cool to hunt with in warmer climates because it's cotton. It works very well for still hunting too. I sewed a strap to the chest to tighten material when sitting as it bunches when doing so. Keeps the string from hitting after release. I would love to show it and get some feedback with the hopes someone else would enjoy it as much as I do.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
3 Wes Wallace Longbows

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
I've had deer at four yards several times this season... looking right "through" me and never picking me off.  The hard part is drawing undetected... but it can be done. Killed one at 12 yards a few weeks ago. It actually fed toward me and was looking right at me from a few yards away. I had to wait for it to feed going away to finally make the shot.  I still use background cover and try to cut a few limbs to stick in the ground in front of me to help with drawing.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
This is a link to a spur of the moment ghillie suit hide and seek event that some of us did during a break back at camp.  It was to see who could hide best from two humans that knew we were in a particular area and was looking for us.  It is equally effective with game that doesn't know you are in the area to begin with.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=122705
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Tom P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
I have used one for 7 years and have taken several deer on the ground up close it is a awsome way to hunt but you need to watch your back drop because I ahve been picked off several times. One time when I was hunting in the early fall I heard a couple of squirrels playing and making their way to me and before I knew what was going on I had them all entangled in my suit and had me scrambling to get it off, very funny looking back.
Psalms 42:1 As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, Oh God.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
sometimes hot and bulky but I think effective
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Never used a ghillie as I am a treestand guy. I love the close encounters stories / they looked right thru me. Agree drawing has got to be the tough part. Let's hear some close range (how close) success stories. When to draw, how to set up.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Five minutes before first light I had a deer within three feet that didn't know I was there. Even from a tree stand the buck I shot this year never knew what I was even though he stared at me twice and I shot at him twice.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
I made a ghillie poncho style last winter out of 2 old cargo nets, a few brown t shirts, some burlap, an old camo shirt and some old nylon blind material cut into strips. Add a roll of jute cord and have good looking ghillie. I had some really close encounters this season, had deer between 5 and 15 yards. My goal thiscseason was to get close so I guess it worked.

Make your own, it's a great project.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Ottawa Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Do most of you where a complete suit with pants and jacket, or do you find that a poncho style is more effective/less bulky?
St. Joe River Bow 58" Longbow 48# @ 28"

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
I have the Marc Anthony jacket and use it along with a RS ghillie boonie hat, no ghillie pants/bottom.  As said earlier, the head/shoulder outline is most important...break it up and there is really no need for anything on the lower half.  Most times I'm kneeling when deer approach anyway.  JMO.  Best of luck!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
I did not like too much material around me in the way a poncho is. I like the way it breaks up silohouette but I feel sometimes it gets too bunched up and feels like it's working against me. On my homemade suit I sewed a strap on drawing side accross my chest to take up slack when sitting. My one piece suit I could hunt naked in for warm temps to dressing for any cold weather I would be willing to hunt. Wear light clothes out to stand and slip in or use for still hunting. I love it!
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
3 Wes Wallace Longbows

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Just trim it down so you can see and shoot, and it will still work for you.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I have a Marc Anthony jacket and pants.  If I'm still hunting I rarely have the pants on as they pick up all kids of twigs but when sitting I have the whole outfit on.  I normally don't like hoods but this one fits good and still allows you to move your head plus it really hides your head/shoulder profile.  I have a face mask or camo paint on to complete the look.  

It's been a blast this year to see how close stuff gets.  I had a muley buck at 4-5 FEET in front of me on the down wind side.  I had a doe and a nubin whitetail at 3-4 yards when I was sitting on a bucket next to a 5" tree.  Had a flock of turkeys at 8 yards and was even able to draw my bow on them.  Had a cow elk at 4-5 yards.  The hard part as others have said is actually drawing your bow - getting close is the easy part.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©