3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thunder child or BW PCH?  (Read 425 times)

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Thunder child or BW PCH?
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
I have always been a recurve shooter but have been thinking about trying out a longbow. I want a compact bow for ground blind use and have never been around a big Jim or a widow. What do you guys think? I am looking at a 56" for both, and have 27" draw. Thinking about #54 at 27"

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunder child or BW PCH?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
PCH is a recurve. Best shooting bow I've ever shot
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
That's what I've heard. I knew it was a recurve and a good one but had also heard good things about the thunder child as a hybrid style longbow. I have just never done much with a longbow. I also have never shot a recurve shorter than 60" for any period of time. Was just wanting some feedback on both bows

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
I was shooting a Black Widow PTF 62" 57@29. now have a PCHX 58 with 2 sets of limbs and shoot it better than any bow I've ever shot. I'll never get rid of it
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Personally I would go with the PCH, just a great all round bow.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the input that's kinda what I was thinking, I worry about stability with those little longbows after I have been shooting TD recurves for so long. I have been shooting Jeffery recurves for years being that I am from Columbia sc, but have always wanted to try a widow.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
PCH is a great bow. My favorite widow.  Have not shot a Thunder Child, but hope to sometime. I love the Buffalo.  I have a 58" PCH and the only thing I don't love is the standard grip. I shoot a lot of hybrids so I am going to keep looking for a low grip PCH.  I have had a few Widows now and the PCH has been the easiest to get quiet for me.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
I have a 56" pch and a 58".  I had a 54" regret selling it. I also have a 58" KB and PA I love the one pieces.  I should have a 54" KB  not long after Christmas.   My next purchase will be a 54" black and white ebony pch.  Whichever you choose you will be super happy.

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I had a 56" Thunderchild.  It was a heck of a bow.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
The PCH is a nice bow,however, the spirit of a longbow may infect you.

Note: One of our most venerated archers wheeled a longbow.

The choice is both personal and individualistic.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I own a thunderchild, and have only tried a PCH.  I am more of a longbow guy, but I by far prefer the thunderchild.  Mine is definitely more quiet than the PCH that I tried.  If you get a chance, you should shoot them both before deciding. As is almost always the case, as short bow will magnify form errors.  Especially one with less mass.  That being said, I think my thunderchild is pretty stable.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
The PCH is a nice bow,however, the spirit of a longbow may infect you.

Note: One of our most venerated archers wheeled a longbow.

The choice is both personal and individualistic.
My internet screen name for the last 15 years has been ACRecurve...and now I'm a huge longbow fan. Pays yo money, takes yo choice.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Peter N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
I have both, and I like them the same, the TC is much more quiet and lighter to carry and BigJims`s craftsmanship is outstanding, the PCH is a little smother, but then again recurves usually are, and the sigthwindow is bigger, both are almost shockfree
and with a bowquiver totally shockfree, the speed seems the same, I have not put them under a chrono.
Bottom line is, I`ts a win-win.

Peter

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I've owned both and if I could only have one of them, it would be the PCH.  I am a longbow guy at heart, but every PCH I've had my hands on seemed to almost shoot itself.  Super stable and easy to be accurate with.  The TC doesn't seem to mesh well with me, I shot it fine and it is an outstanding bow, just didn't seem to fit.  That's why not every bow is for every archer.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I've never shot either the Big Jim Thunderchild or the PCH model Black Widow. I have shot most of the other models Black Widow makes and I have to say they are my favorite recurves. On the other hand I have never heard anything but positive reviews about a thunderchild and Big Jim is an artist with wood.
James Kerr

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
I really appreciate all the info, it's going to be a tuff call! I would like to give the longbow buzz a try but still love my recurves! I'm more confused now than ever haha

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
I have 2 Thunderchilds and had a Pch which I sold in a moment of stupidity. I Still have a Kbx. The good news is, you simply cannot go wrong. The Thunderchild is much quieter, handles fast and points well for me. I do have a chrony. My Pch was a 56 pounder and the lighter TC is 54 pounds. The TC was a little faster. It is hands down my favorite tight quarters hunting bow. The Pch is one of the most accurate, forgiving bows that I have ever shot. Really is an apples to oranges comparison though and you would be well served to try both and see which one picks you.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
I pretty much only shoot "Shulz" style longbows now,but man every time I see a pic of a TC with some crazy wood on it I want to order one!Check out JavaMan's Elkheart too. You'll never know if you like it unless you try one.
Best part about the Widows,Big Jims,Shrews,etc is that if you don't like it,they have a big enough following that you can usually sell them pretty quick without losing too much money.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I have to many TC's ...  Not!!!

I love mine and Jim's takedown system makes it a suitcase bow for traveling. I took it to Africa and shot all kind of critters from pit blinds, ground blinds and pop-ups.

Had a PCHX but didn't like the extra mass and weight....
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Like said above you are comparing apples to oranges.I have both but prefer the PCH,I am a recurve guy that loves longbows lol.My 58" PCH is the quitest of all the widows I have and or shot.Both Bigjim and the widow guys are great to work with and both have the best customer service you will find.Black Widow offers a test drive program and I know BigJim will let you test drive a TC,that way you can make an educated choice.Or do like the rest of us do, buy both and shoot what ever the mood strikes you.    :thumbsup:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©