3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thunder child or BW PCH?  (Read 426 times)

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunder child or BW PCH?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Apples or Oranges?   :rolleyes:
Both super nice bows!  Totally different from each other in every regard!  Shoot em right next to each other....maybe just into a bail or large bag target,  with your eyes closed!  Then buy the one that just feels better to you....the one that speaks to you and just feels the most natural!  Whatever you decide,  you'll own a killer bow for sure!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
I would think a PSR would be a better comparison with a TC. They are available in the same lengths and the weight and mass would be closer. Yes one is a curve and the other a hybred longbow but in grip, riser, weight and mass they would be closer than the PCH and TC???
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
There could be a world of difference between me and you but my rule of thumb is "stick with what you know".  In my situation, coming from many years shooting recurves, I've found that I shoot longbows (64" or greater) more consistently than short hybrids like the TC.  My form must not be good, but the longer bow works - just like recurves with a greater mass works - to stabilize and overcome my inadequacies.

If you apply that logic (is it logical    :dunno:   ) then you would go with the PCH.  Since you are already a recurve shooter the transition would likely be smoother from the bow you're shooting now.  

However, if like me, you need to try the short hybrid, the TC is a great one.  Big Jim is an artist and his work stands on it's own.  Maybe you should try used and see what you prefer before ordering either.  Either one should be easy to sell or trade without much loss of investment.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Last year at Compton's, I shot both bows back-to-back, and was impressed with both.  I had already shot the PCH many times on other occasions, but it was my first time shooting any of BigJim's bows.  The TC was beautiful, impressive to shoot, and looked very clean and well-made.  

They are, indeed, two very different types of bow.  The 58" TC did not stack when I got it to full draw, but the 58" PCH did.  (I draw about 31").  For comparison, the 58" Black Widow PSR did not stack at my draw.  But I'd have to go 60" with the PCH.  

The TC was whisper-quiet, and felt stable enough to me, even though I prefer longer bows and more mass weight in the riser.  If I were going to get either a PCH or a TC, I'd buy... a PSR!!! I prefer the grip of the BW longbow/PSR.  Of the three, I prefer the PSR, then the PCH, then the TC.  But remember... I'm no expert, just some guy typing at a computer... and opinions vary widely.  

If at all possible, try before you buy.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
I have both....two different animals.

Depends on what you are going to do most.  Walking a little ways to s stand or walking and stalking for hours.  Depends on the feel you want in your hand if you are holding it for a while.

I own both, and take the one for the job at hand.

Nice bows they are....   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Yeah I'm no too terribly far from Albany ga. Might just have to give a call and go down there and check him out!

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Me personally I like the Thunderchild. I have shot the widow. Very fine bow, but like others have said, the mass weight was the difference. God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©