3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Busted finger suggestions?  (Read 299 times)

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Busted finger suggestions?
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Hi all,

I seem to be having a bit of a problem. About 8 months ago I snapped the tendon on my left ring finger and it took the bone with it. Basically called a mallet finger.

It's sort of healed okay and I can bend it most of the way around, but it's still significantly less flexible than the other ones and a lot weaker.

This is my draw hand, and although I can pull (sort of) fine, after about ten minutes it causes tremendous pain through the top joint. I can still shoot for a few hours after that but it's rather unpleasant and the pain lingers for a day or two afterwards.

So... any suggestions on how to at least slow the onset down? I've started experimenting with three fingers under and that seems to help a little bit. I've also moved my finger position on string a little further back, to the meaty part after the joint closest to my fingertip and that's  a bit better, but seems to affect my release. I just ordered a three under tab I'll try instead of a glove, but short of wrapping it with duct tape I'm not sure if there is even anything else I can do?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Busted finger suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Use a wrist release.  It's not a "traditional" answer but it is still better than not shooting due to pain.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I don't know if this would help your situation or hurt it,but I use a hand spring muscle builder to warm up and strengthen my fingers.

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Could you try a two finger draw instead of three? Or like Flanders said, throw on a D loop and use a wrist release or skip the d loop and use a release rope.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Try a two finger draw.  Lots of people who have tried it really like it.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I would say two fingers also and two under to start.  I played with that once on a bow that was giving me fits and I was able to really shot it well that way.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
Tape the injured digit to the other digit and with equal pulling of both digits it should take some of the stress off of it, and may increase your accuracy.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
What does the doctor say?
Sam

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
I chainsawed halfway through the second knuckles of the first two fingers of my left hand and after a year of squeezing balled-up socks (with beads of sweat on my forehead) I was able to move up to tennis balls and eventually got back 100%.  But it was slow and painful going.  It was six months before I could curl the fingers enough to touch the palm of the hand with the fingertips.

On 11/04/12 I stuck the ring finger of my right hand into the path of my tractor's fan and broke the finger, split the distal phalange into pieces and tore the nail and last 1/2" of the finger off.  Back on now (and healing) but I'm not drawing a hunting bow with that hand for a while.

I picked up a 41# LH bow and have been practicing shooting lefty.  At this rate about the time I figure it out my right hand will be healed up.  

It has been a good exercise in relearning how to shoot a bow.  Focus is screwed up, form is horrible, consistancy is not.  Today I put a 2" square cube of foam on my target bale and at 15 yards put an arrow to either side of it just shy of touching it and the third skewered it, so there are occasional rays of hope.  The next three arrows were a 18" group.     :banghead:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
I have heard of a leather release -- essentially a leather strap that goes around your wrist and then around the string. You then trap it with your thumb and first finger and draw. To release you simply let go of the leather strap and the arrow is away.

The opening video on the blackswan archery website shows someone shooting with one.

It may be something that could help you shoot with comfort -- and leather is non-mechanical so about as trad as you can get with a release aid.

Please post your solution once you have found something that works -- and good luck.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Switch hands!

Not as hard as you think.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I think Mudd had pics on a leather release he made, it looked like it would work great for you.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
I dropped a power take off shaft on my right hand ring finger and split it length wise and broke the bone .I shot 3 under since the 60s so I just went 2 under . After it healed I had nerve damage and couldnt shoot 3 under so  I stuck with 2 under,worked good for about 7 years and then I started to get arthritis in my middle finger joint ( I shoot alot) but at the same time I noticed my nerves seemed to be coming back in my 3rd finger and went back to 3 under. Have no problems now except Im still a poor shot...Tim

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
You may consider going to a thumb ring. I knew a fellow who shot a left handed bow right handed with a thumb ring.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Ha this is to funny that this came up as i sit hear typing with one finger, I cut my middle finger just below the nail 98% off yesterday with a wood splitter, guess this means i wont be going to AZ in Jan. javie hunting.

i just hope this is 100% by next Oct. i'm going to see a hand doc. tomorrow.

doug77

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
Two fingers might be stretching it since I shoot at about 60 at the moment but I'll definitely try the taping trick.

As far as releases go that would be a last resort. I mean I can still shoot, it just hurts and at the end of the day this sort of pain is only mental.

As for switching hands I just did that because of left eye dominance!

Thanks for the tips, got some stuff to try out. Also more thanks to stumpkiller, for reminding me there is always someone worse off than you.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »
hey why dont ya just cut it off ya wont miss it ya got more of them   :biglaugh:   just kidding if you make a leather stall for it and tape it up good that should ease the pain some Bro give it a go.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
I was a 3-under shooter till about a year ago when I smashed my ring finger on my draw hand. Went to 2-under till it healed(bout 3 months)and then tried to go back to 3-under and it all felt wrong so Ive been 2-under ever since. I shoot 60# with a black widow 3-under tab no problem.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©