3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much do you shoot / practice?  (Read 422 times)

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
How much do you shoot / practice?
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
I was just wondering what everybody else is doing.  I probably average 40 arrows a day, 5 or 6 days a week, from 10 to 30 yards.  I am still improving, so I guess that's good.  As always, any advice is appreciated.  Thanks Gang!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much do you shoot / practice?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Up until this year I was shooting at least a half hour a day and an hour or more on the weekends.The focus should not be on how many arrows but how well your form and release are with just a few.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Axis Thinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Have you worked on shooting up close to concentrate on your form? I use a bag target at 8-10 ft. Just think about your form.
I will shoot with eyes closed(get close enough you can't miss)
And be aware of getting in your back, release etc. I also like to shoot ONE arrow in the morning while having coffee. Imagine a hunting scenario, and make it count. Only shoot one, and then go back inside. Think about how you did and whether or not you made a good ethical kill shot. Hope this helps... It has for me.
Yellowhand

Offline archeryx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Axis Thinner:
Have you worked on shooting up close to concentrate on your form? I use a bag target at 8-10 ft. Just think about your form.
I will shoot with eyes closed(get close enough you can't miss)
And be aware of getting in your back, release etc.
Yellowhand
^^^^
That helps me when I haven't shot for more than a couple of days.

Otherwise, I shoot 3-5 days a week.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
I try to shoot 15 to 30 minutes a day, but time doesnt always allow that. A lot of times i dont concern myself with accuracy, but more on proper back tension and form.

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I try to limit my sessions to no more than 10 to 12 arrows at a time. If you do too many at one time you start to get fatigued and that is when bad habits creep in. I try to get in one session a day when the waether is decent.  On the weekends I may shoot three or four session but make sure I space them out.

I like Yellowhands One arrow in the morning routine. Duplicating a hunting situation and concentrating on making a the best shot you can sounds like good training for hunting.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Apparently, not enough. I have missed the same buck twice (2 different occasions) standing in essentially the same place. Both were very near misses, but oddly enough, neither shot really spooked him. He just looked around and trotted off.

Like many others I fall into the error of practicing less during the season, because I am in the stand as much as possible. After the season, I start in January getting ready for 3D. Then I shoot 3 or 4 times a week, loosing 40 to 50 arrows pers session. Range varies from about 15 to 30 yards.

This year has been a problem. I hurt my shoulder last May, and it still is not healed completely even though I am shooting a lighter bow.
Sam

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
I'd practice a lot more if my lovely bride hadn't decreed an end to shooting in the house! But that was limited to 20 yards anyway...

:(        :saywhat:
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
At least 2 shots a day during the week..one before I leave..one when I get home. I will pick my bow up and draw while I pick a spot without releasing an arrow several times during the week also. On the weekends I shoot several times a day if I'm not in the woods.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Never enough....  

Now that I go to to work in the dark and come home in the dark, practice time has been hard to come by.  During the summer I usually manage 15-30 minutes a day though.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I try to shoot atleast 15 minutes everyday, most of the time I end up shooting around 25-30 minutes though. The important thing to remember is to not over do it though if you start to get fatigued mentally or phisically you should stop for the day.
James Kerr

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I SHOT A FEW ARROWS DAILY.  YOU KNOW; 6 BEFORE WORK, 10 AT LUNCH.  THREE AT SUNSET AND 1 WHEN I LET THE DOG OUT JUST BEFORE BED.... QUALITY NOT QUANTITY
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I do three to six every morning before leaving for work.  Lately I an trying to learn left handed so at night I do another dozen shots or so.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
I don't actually think of it as practice because I can entertain myself for hours shooting arrows.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 02:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Andy Cooper:
I don't actually think of it as practice because I can entertain myself for hours shooting arrows.
+2
This time of year if i have time to shoot im out calling.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
I am lucky enough to work an Archery Shop, i shoot every single day. I try to shoot at least 30-50 arrows a day mostly at 20yds because thats the distance of our indoor range. A couple times a week i go out to the club and shoot our outdoor roving course at various distances as well. Weather here in SoCal allows shooting outdoors and 3D tournaments to be held year round with large turn outs. Had a 42 target unmarked 3D today in fact at our archery club. Huge turnout, 100 people at least.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I shoot when i get out of the stand in the morning and shoot my way back to the truck.  Somtimes shoot at the house, but that is valuable deer hunting time.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by RecurveRookie:
I was just wondering what everybody else is doing.  I probably average 40 arrows a day, 5 or 6 days a week, from 10 to 30 yards.  I am still improving, so I guess that's good.  As always, any advice is appreciated.  Thanks Gang!
I shoot one arrow in the morning before work and think about that shot all day. During the week after work I shoot 5 or more nights a week until my groupings get too large. Then I take a day or two off.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Andy Cooper:
X3
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
50 - 60 arrows on Sat, and Sun. Wish I could shoot everyday but don't seem to have time due to work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©