3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lonewolf Alpha hang on and sticks instruction  (Read 413 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Lonewolf Alpha hang on and sticks instruction
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
I'm fed up with my old Loggy Bayou climber and was looking to buy a Lonewolf climber but they are pricey. I do have a Lonewolf Alpha hang on and 4 LW sticks I bought used 2 years ago but never used. I'm thinking if I can mount these as easy as a climber I can save some money. I'm a bit older but can still climb.

What I need is step by step from the ground up on how to safely hang the sticks and climber. Mine has the hook you put around the tree and hang the stand from it. I need to know how to manage the sticks and climber when hanging all of this stuff. I also have a good safety harness with a lineman's belt and a good tether rope system.

Thanks,
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lonewolf Alpha hang on and sticks instruction
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
There are a number of instructional videos on Youtube.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Yeah, check out youtube.

Let me say that you need to have a safety harness with a lineman's belt...that makes it 10X easier and also alot safer.

Also, they take longer to get up a tree than a climber, but you have a lot more options on the trees you can get in.  

I run the EZ hang hook (that you attach to the tree and hang the stand from it) and one more strap around the bottom versa button of the stand.

With 3 sticks I can get up to about 15 feet and that's as high as I personally want to go.  

Remember to slowly get up the tree.  You'll need probably 2, but more likely 3 trips up and down.  In the areas I hunt, you cant even really find good trees for a climber so the LW is the only stand I use.
>>>--------->

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
I hang the bottom stick, climb up it and hang the second stick, go down and get the third, hang it, go back down and get the stand. Although I sometimes carry the stand up when hanging the third stick. It sounds like a lot but really isn't that bad. JockC is right there are several videos online showing different methods.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I only make one trip up the tree for the sticks and stand.  I strap the first stick from the ground, loop the second and third stick from the left and right shoulders and climb and strap.  Once I get the third stick up, I loop my linemans strap around the tree and use my pull up rope that is attached to the stand to pull it up to me.  Strap the stand on the tree, good to go.  It may not be as fast as a climbing stand, but once you get the hang of it, it's not much slower.  Plus you have the added benefit of having many more trees to hang a stand in than with a climber.  As always, be safe and keep the wind in your face.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
I go up one time setting each stick as I go.  Take stand off back, set it. Put harness rope on tree, step up and done.  7-8 minutes start to finish.  A lineman can really help.

While on the ground I loosen all the straps and usually just hang my 3rd and 4th stick on limbs that I can reach as I climb.  If that is not available I have loops tied on my 2nd stick strap where I can hang them.  I also have rope loops on the corner of my stand where I can hang the sticks just before I climb- they hang loose below the stand on my back so they do not clang anything.

I also felt everything including the buckles. I file all the teeth on the sticks.  I zip-tie the buckle end to the versa button. I really make no noise to speak of and I set a new stand every sit.  Probably 40+ times this year so far.  

I essentially climb up the first stick and set the 2nd.  Grab the 3rd and set it.  Step up, grab the 4th and set it.  Then up to the stand.  

A few times out and the system is smooth.

I also wear a turkey vest which has everything needed in appropriate pockets.  Same set up year after year.  As I ascend grabbing pruners, a saw, or bow holder etc. is really easy.  Once in the tree I just hang the vest on the back side- holding it tight against the tree with a bungee.

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I haven been using a Lone Wolf stand/stix combo for 3 years now. Been happy with my system, but always looking to be more efficient.
Like KSDan, I put my stand up and down 40plus times/yr. Takes me apx 10-12 minutes, to get my stand set and me strapped in. I tend to put one stick on the tree at a time, then go down for the next, after the 2nd stick is attached, I put the stand on my back and climb up with the 3rd stick in my hand
I have never used a climber, but I agree with others, that this system would be more versitle. I  also strap a small fanny pack onto my stand to carry essentials (water, calls, license, flashlight, knife,snack).

chris <><

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Another one tripper here. Linesman's belt the only safe way to hang these stands. Don't know how some people do it without. I set the first and hang the remaining two over my neck/shoulder. Pull rope gets clipped to my unused bino clip on my muddy harness. I climb up so my weight is on the middle step and bent leg on the top. Next step gets placed just above the knee. Repeat till last step is hung. Pull stand up and set it level with the top step. If you are hanging your stand on the right side, make your last step on the left. Whatever side you want that step to be on, make that your first step on the first stick you hang if you are using three sticks. Opposite if using four. Sounds silly, but till you develop a routine, you'll find yourself flipping the steps back and forth a few times as you go. Always set your tether before you put weight on the stand. I do climb down to collect my gear and hook bow up. if I had a second rope, could do it all in one trip. I've really grown fond of the system and it's barely a minute or two longer than using the climber. I like the idea of felting the cam locks.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Great advice all. Sounds like I need to go practice.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Don't use just the hook.  As I recall, the stand is not made to be used with the hook alone.

I have one and use it all the time, but I prefer to belt directly to the tree and I don't use the hook at all.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
I love the system but I'm still an up and down with each stick kinda guy. Would love to see KSdans explain how he goes up in one trip! Every time I try it Im making more noise clanking sticks and stands together than I like to hear.

This is a good start on going up with the sticks but you cant do this and the stand at the same time.....I've tried  ;)

"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Yohon- It really is so easy.  I hunt with numerous guys here in KS and ND every year.  Anybody who hunts with me learns this- as I never set up stands before the season and rarely hunt the same place twice. . .  I send a guy into a place and tell him to set-up.

Re-read the post above. . .

Additionally-
After you arrive at the tree you take the sticks off the stand and put stand back on your back.  Simply set all the sticks out loosening all the straps (I have all buckles felted, buckle-end zip-tied to the versa button, and more felt on the stick around the button).  With the sticks all loose you simply set them up on limbs or as I described above.  The 1st stick goes on while you are on the ground.  Step up on 1st and place 2nd. (I hold each stick against the tree with my stomach. I am hugging tree with left hand.  I pass strap with right hand around the tree.  I grab the strap with the left hand, whereas the right hand now hugs the tree.  The left attaches the strap.  The left then goes back to the hug while the right comes back to tighten the strap.  The entire process I always have both feet planted on sticks while holding the tree with one of my arms. The lineman's line/belt makes this even easier ). Realize too that the stick straps do not have to be real tight.  They actually are held in place when you step on them which wedges the V-brackets into the tree (this is why I file the sharp edges- I want them to slide as they wedge).

I then Step on to 2nd and grab the 3rd attaching in the same manner.  Step up and do the same with the 4th.  

Even before I step on the fourth and depending on limbs and such I maneuver the the lineman line which helps a great deal here. I slide the stand off my back and attach it.  Also, if your arms are shorter- use a screw-in "T" or step first.  Have a small rope loop on your stand to hang the stand until you get the strap on.  Once the strap is on you remove the loop.  

My harness is already on, so I just attach a climbers rope with prussic to the tree (it wsa in my vest like all things).  Take the tether of my harness with carabiner and attach to prussic.  I then step on stand near the back making sure it is secure.  Usually readjust my rope on my harness.  

I attach a couple bow holders- one for my vest and one for my bow that I am pulling up right away.  I also usually have my jacket/vest/etc attached to my bow.

Hope that helps.  One time up and you are in.  10 minutes or less.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
I follow basically the same procedure as above, but prefer Ameristep strap-on steps.  I carry them in a bag over my shoulder as I climb.  At least as fast and quieter, yet the same weight as 3 or 4 LW sticks.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
KSDan, Do you bungie cord your jacket to the bow?
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
red- You could. . .I carry my extra clothes in bungee corded to the stand/pack.  I then just set my stuff over the tip of my bow and run a loop around it from my tow rope.  Some of my stuff has a built in loop at the label, or a button hole. . . whatever.  Stays there just fine. I also gave up on using rope for the tow as it always got tangled- I now use a strong 3/8" ribbon material from the fabric store. It rarely knots up.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
I'm new to tree stand hunting as well (gonna give it a shot for the latter part of the season just to gain experience) and have been researching it, some good advice here that I'll be looking at incorporating through trial-and-error.

Here is a video I found to be useful; explains how he organizes his gear for pack-in/out, how he sets up his sticks and all done in a clear manner:

"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
That WAS an excellent video of how to organize it all. Thanks.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
TTT for more ideas...

I used my sticks(3) a couple weeks ago for the 1st time. I made it up the tree in one trip.  I have an Assault due any day and know I'm not gonna like stacking the sticks on the stand. It'll get the weight to far away from my back, especially with my back on it.

I believe I'll nest them(I have 4 sticks now) together with  the strap, and figure a way to lash them securely  to the stand while the stack is flipped on its side.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Cool info Guys. I like the idea of climbing the perfect tree for the hunt and not the tree a climber will fit on.MY Buddy Keith Bruner uses these things and Loves them. He hunts a lot and knows good equipment.I seldom hunt higher than 15' and if this will get me at least that high they may work for me. Guru, How high are you getting with a 4th? An advantage to the Southern deer hunter like myself is that our trees hold the leaves much longer than you guys and we still have decent cover even this time of year.Three of us could go in on a set and get that 4th one if needed. Keep it coming,RC

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
Guru- look at my pic.  The foam blocks are perfect for packing.  The sticks never touch one another.  No noise.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©