3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got an idea... what do you guys think?  (Read 468 times)

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
Got an idea... what do you guys think?
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
SO, here in eastern Colorado, trees are kinda scarce. Trees suitable to a ladder stand or tree stand are even more rare. So, on my property I have a great trail leading from the river bottom to a 1 mile by 1/2 mile orchard on the neighbors property that the deer love but is not open to hunting. To get to his orchard they must cross my property and they always use this little irragation ditch along a pond as a trail and for cover. There is an old abandoned power pole right along the ditch and i'm thinking about putting a ladder or tree stand and hunting out of it. There aren't any leaves for cover and i'm scared i'll stick out like a sore thumb against the blue sky. So what to I do? how can I dress this power pole up to maybe look like tree and add cover? has anyone tried anything like this?
-Sorry, i'm completely new to hunting from stands and am unsure how much deer look up and how much i'd stick out against a little power pole with no leaves or branches to blend into
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got an idea... what do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
I have never tried using a telephone pole for a stand before, but I have used branches from artificial Christmas trees to provide back cover in trees before???

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
I think you might stick out like a sore thumb.  You could give it a shot though.  Sounds like a ground blind or maybe a pit blind may be worth a try.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Try it. Set up the stand facing away from the trail so the pole gives you some cover. That's my best guess. Other, probably better, long term option is to dig a pit blind and brush it real well so you are really low to the ground. This would probably not be seen as a threat to the deer once they got used to it. You would probably be best off building such a thing in the off season though.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
Heck ya I would use the power pole...I bet some of those flag mounting brackets that people use to hang flags on their house would work and you could stick branches in them.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
Over and under, that's brilliant. That's the advice I was looking for. And if put that up in the off season I bet they'd get alot more used to it alot easier than a ground blind. Plus a ground blind would be hard in this specific area with the terrain and all
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
Climbing a power pole may be illegal and can really be dangerous if there are live wires.  Even if not, they have no roots and can fall with you in it.

Use a Rancho Safari Ghillie suit, hunt the ground, then post the pix of your deer for us.

ChuckC

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
No wires it was never used for wires like a normal pole some farmer out it in for idk why but its cemented in around the base and very sturdy

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 02:09:00 AM »
pit blind would work just fine. i would give that a go fer sure from what you have said. good luck
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:40:00 AM »
I just wouldn't trust a pole like that, just seems sketchy. Any number of things can go wrong and it doesn't seem worth it because of the risk of serious injury. Dig a pit or set up a semi permanent ground blind.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
If you are familiar to the Lon Hagler archery range you have seen that they made some really good landscaping on a bare flat land,adding limbs and branches on the ground so they look like real tree. On the off season you can build something like that to place your blind or find a good position for a gillie set up.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 03:48:00 AM »
I tested out a climber once on a similar pole. It appeared to be very sturdy, until I got about 8' off the ground. Then I could feel it shaking! I went about another 3', and got very uncomfortable. I quickly reversed directions and thought "better not try that again".  A latter stand might be alright, but I'd be very cautious with a hang on. Ground blinds can be very effective if they are built in the off season, and would likely be a safer option.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
I don't think being elevated would be an  advantage in that situation.
Tom

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
I believe the hang-ons and climbers say NOT to use them on poles like that or on slick barked trees. The rough bark of a tree is important to make them more safe.

Why not use a ladder stand on the pole with artificial branches AND make a pit blind.

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
During the off season; Put up a tripod stand in the area with the best cover(maybe a couple of little scrub trees near the ditch?) and add some camo netting around it. It should work.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
I'd go for a pit blind or some other kind of ground blind.  The power pole idea it clever, but I don't think I'd do it.  Hunting from the ground is so much more exciting anyway...

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
My first choice would be a little 3 sided ground blind. I've used them in open golden rod fields by grassing in the outside of the blind. Get the wind right! I've never used a double bull type blind but they set those in the open?! That's an option too... if you wanna try the pole go for it and if it fails make your 2nd attempt in another location on that trail. I like to set a spot up for more than one wind direction too, something to consider.Good luck and have fun!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Deer are SO tuned in to their surroundings. I'd think they would pick you off pretty quick out in the open like that.
But who knows, might be worth a try.
I'd probably set up a blind of some kind like the others are saying.
Can't wait to hear how you make out!
David M. Conroy

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Why not get use the pole to make a "teepee" type of ground blind? Then it would appear to be just a brush pile growing around a pole.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
I would think that if you put it up early in the year by the time hunting season rolled around they would be used to it. I'd give it a try. If it doesn't work go to play B.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©