3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool-dry cleaning, a bad thing?  (Read 455 times)

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool-dry cleaning, a bad thing?
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
There is some new wool out now and some old time stuff also that is labeled "dry clean only".  Everything that I have smelled that has been dry cleaned ahd a definate "chemical" odor and for that reason I just dont buy wool with that label.

Can anyone share some thoughts on the issue of Dry cleaning / odor / wool / and being in the woods?

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool-dry cleaning, a bad thing?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
Worst part( at least to me) about dry cleaning quality wool is that it strips the lanolin out of the wool. Bad for warmth, bad for scent control. So far as the chemicals smelling bad. Not a good thing of course but by the time wildlife smells the chemicals they will smell you, which scares them worse. Just my 2 cents.

So far as dry clean only, if you hand wash and air dry while working the wool slightly I think you would be fine. I have hand washed "Dry clean only" wool with no shrinking or other issue. Just use a very mild soap and cold water.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Here are the washing instructions Teresa Asbell (one of TG's sponsors) posts on her site where she makes and sells wool jackets.  Pretty much the same thing Chuck Deshler-Two Tracks Bow Co, another sponspor-and his wife say about washing their wool vests.

http://gfredasbell.com/wool_sizing_washing.php
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
I have some of the Asbell's wool and I like it a lot.  I was looking at the "Classic Bowman" website and it specifically says Dry Clean Only which gave me some concerns.

I wonder if you could use a front loading washing machine as they just tumble the load as a top loader has a lot of hard agitation.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Use Teresa Asbell's instructions and you should be good to go with any wool product.  :deadhorse:

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
I use the system that you just through it in the drier, but it has to be pretty dirty before that happens. I then send my cleaned wools to the dry cleaner not be cleaned, but for them to do their special lanolin treatment and I always say,"remember, this is not a pretty skirt, I want the damn thing to be water proof when I get it back."

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
I am suprised at the low number of responses.  Perhaps most folks just wash their wool, even when the label says dry clean only.

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
I have Filson, Army surplus, and thrift store buys. I use the hand wash cycle in the washing machine with  baking soda and hang dry outside. No problems.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
I believe the "Dry Clean Only" refers to machine washing, not hand washing.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
One thing for sure is to avoid the cloth dryer machine,hang dry only  :)
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
My wife washes all my KOM wool with non scented soap and hangs to dry.
Doing it this way for years and I have no problems at all.
In fact, they still look and feel like new.

......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Filson is one of those "dry clean only" labels, but I have a number of Filson wool garments that I wash, mostly about the way Teresa Asbell recommends.  I have never had a problem.  Gentle cycle, lay flat and block to dry.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
My wool would have to be pretty dirty to even think about cleaning.  I usually let rain do its thing while I am hunting then hang to dry.  I would hand wash if needed but will try the lanolin treatment someday as needed.  I had never heard of that.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
I wash all of my wool in the washer with unscented detergent and hang dry, no problems.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
I have had no problem getting rid of all kinds of wooly smells by hanging it outside for several days in the fresh air.  

I am somewhat surprised to hear that a number of you have had good success with washing/machine drying wool. The only time I tried it, it shrunk down to a child's size.
Sam

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
I hang my wool for a couple of weeks after the season-rain, snow, cold, sun, wind-let Mother Nature "purify" it for me.  When bloody/dirty, I hose it off, then let M.N. do her thing.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 04:31:00 AM »
I wash my wool as well as my work uniforms thst say dry clean only.  Gentle cycle with sport wash, hang to try.  Been doing it for years without issue.  Dry cleaning makes the uniform at least smell like a wet dog.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 01:59:00 AM »
I have some wool items dry cleaned, especially Pendleton wool shirts.  Jackets or other items I will hand wash and line dry.

A variety of dry cleaning chemicals may be used by your dry cleaner.  Historically, chlorinated solvents such as perchloroethene (or perchloroethylene), referred to as PCE, were used.  These compounds are extrememly volatile and evaporate very quickly, leaving no odor.  A lot of older mechanics used chlorinated solvents for parts cleaners.

However, some dry cleaners use naphtha or similar compounds which will leave a chemical odor for some period.  Airing dry-cleaned fabrics out will usually strip volatile organic compounds completely.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©