3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how many guys out there shoot self bows  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how many guys out there shoot self bows
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
I started shooting a selfbow early last year that was built by a friend . Ended up killing a couple small deer with it and plan on hunting with it this year. I am trying to build one my own self, but have not had very good success yet but it's fun and I think I will get it done (maybe not for this year but next)I use cedar arrows that I build tipped with Eclipse or Zwickey Eskimo.   :D    :D    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I like a stick and string better than an artificial stick and string. I make my bows from ash, black locust or osage and I make my arrows from white spruce. I cut the trees too, except the osage, which doesn't grow in Maine.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Flatstick, that is just pure poetry. Beautiful.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
One of my good friends is a seasoned pro when it comes to selfbows,I test shoot everyone of his creations right & left. I can tell you there is somthing special about them. I am in the learning process now, and hope someday to hunt with a bow of my own making. Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
I have just begun in selfbows, I have built 2 and plan on hunting this year with another I'm working on now!!!
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Flatstick, that is awesome!  Do you feel like you have reached your "peak"?
Dan

Offline schnitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
thanks guys for all the in put i shot my brothers quillian wood self bow today very sweet just something diiferent about an all wood bow im hopefully getting one later in the week from a fellow trad member then ill have to make some of them trade point and a new set of arrows and flat stick thats some pic thats the way it supose to be done nice job

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
OconeeDan,,Nope no where near the peak yet! There's alot more different bow designs and types of arrows to build and I Know there are bigger bucks roaming around too! Been building bows for alot of years now, but still feel like the adventure has just begun  :)  .
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »
I Hope To Experience the Self-Bow and ALL of the Cool Things it brings, Very Soon!!   :readit:    :banghead:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
Well said Flatsick!
I would use one if I had one, If I was smart enough to make one I would. A homemade selfbow and cane arrow, that would be the ultimate hunting rig!

Eric

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
I hunt almost exclusively with my selfbows...but you know I dabble in glass bows too!   But make no mistake, a selfbow has a soul that glass bows lack, and I love to carry that into the woods with me.   I've been building them and hunting with them 15 years or so and every year is a new challenge, every bow a new surprise.   That's keeping it fresh, boys and girls, the secret to enjoying the trad challenge is always having new ones...

I will only shoot wood, cane, hand-planed shafts or shoots from my selfbows.   Gotta match the best with the best.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
I'm hoping to use my selfbow ( board bow, self made )red oak going by Ferret's website...

I saw some really nice ones at the Whittingham Archery shoot (Aug 18 & 19, 2007) Wish I had the money to get one of them.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
man i always wanted to shoot a well made selfbow!!! hunting with one will almost be a dream  for me!!

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Another selfbow fanatic here.  I make them mostly from osage.  I only shoot wooden arrows.  I love to try different shafting, but I've been hooked on ash for many years.  I just get alot of enjoyment and satisfaction out of making using my own stuff.  Here's some of what's currently in my arsenal...   :archer:  

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Arsenal is right!!!!!!!

Nice looking bows
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
I love the Simplicity, Beauty and each one has its own Characteristics. I have a couple glass bows also but my first love is these. Whether they are made by yourself or a friend there is that special feeling when holding or hunting with them. The far right one is "Hopeful" cause I really didn't think she would make it but she did. I just made up my first cane arrows just for her. There not beauties either but I hope one of them finds the mark in October. Other than the comments above and a million others, I have no idea why someone would want to shoot or build one. I totally agree with what Dano said.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Good gawd Adam, you are a man after my own heart.

Now scuse me while I clean the drool from the keyboard   :goldtooth:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Adam,, I would like a close up of the one with the big hole in the limb.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline schnitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
man adam them are some nice bows

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
My wife thinks I have alot of bows,I think I will show her the picture of Adams.Nice collection there.  :)  
Oh yeah,I almost forgot I hunt with self bows too.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©