3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone ever add to a riser?  (Read 265 times)

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone ever add to a riser?
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I know you can remove small amounts of wood from a bows handle to customize it but can you "add to" a bows handle to make the grip fit like you want? I have a samick sage that shoots very well but I prefer the grip on another lower poundage bow I have and wondered if you could add and then reshape the grip? Maybe wood filler? It wouldn't take a lot just want to widen the grip and cut out the thumb rest out some more. I don't want to ruin the riser but this was not an expensive bow to start with. Anybody ever tried this?   :help:

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever add to a riser?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I used bondo before. I've also seen leather and super glue make a cool add on. Think you can search for that. The bondo worked pretty good. I put a cover on the handle to make it look better. I did eventually end up back down to the wood and refinished it like it started???? Just can't quit messing around i guess.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
what would be cool would be to use molding clay to shape the handle how you like it, then cast moulds in plaster of paris (two halves). clamp the moulds on, then pour them full of two part epoxy!

it would be a bit of a job but it would be awesome!

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
they make a dimpled rubber wrap for bow handles that you can wrap it to your needs(cabela$)and they also make a soft mold to your hand one,not sure who carries that one. just google bow handle wraps.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I have done the bondo thing and it worked well, butdoesnt help the resale value any.  Covered it with leather and it looked fine.  Apply boondo, cover with saran wrap and make it fit right.  Sand to shape and cover.
Chuckc

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I have cut out the grip area ,glued in a new piece  and then reshaped the grip to my liking. i think its called a saddle. Here is a bow I redid the grip on.  

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
I have used both Bondo and fiberglass.  bondo is easier but the glass looks better....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
A product called Milliput would work best. Comes in multiple grits and once dry can be sanded drilled cut tapped etc., its very strong. Also it has a longer dry time so you have enough time to shape it and what not. It will stick to the riser very nicely as well and can be sanded down perfectly flush with whatever its attached to.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
There is a two part putty by Elmers at Lowe's in the glue department that comes in a box and very lightweight..You can use throwaway gloves if you don't want to get your hands a little messy but not bad really..You can take the same amount from the two containers and roll it into a ball whatever size you need and shape it on your riser grip..Check it about an hour or so and see if it is starting to stiffin up..Shape it some more to your liking...It should be nice and hard the next day and then you can rasp if needed ...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©