3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Binos?  (Read 328 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Binos?
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I am looking for some binos. Right now I am thinking the 8x42 Cascades or the 8x42 Mojaves. Are the Mojaves worth the extra $75? I am going to use them for deer/turkey hunting in WI. I will use them in the hardwoods/looking over ag fields/large swamps. I know some of you may mention other binos and that is great, but could you keep them under $300. Thanks for the help.

I have added Minox BV II 8x42 BR to my list.  Any one using these?  How do they compare to the Mojaves?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Binos?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I have Leupold Binos and I like them.  

I have to admit though I rarely use binoculars. I don't even regularly pack them when hunting in the east.  I realize I'm abnormal in my near disinterest in binoculars.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
I have a pair of Leupold katmia 6x32 and love them.  I have a pair of swarovski 10x25 pocket but never carry them only the Katmia.   $300  You won't be sorry.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/leupold/leupold-katmai-6x32-roof-prism-binocular-black

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
I don't think there is much difference.  Either will work good for deer and turkey hunting.  I have the 8x42 pinnicles and carry them everywhere.

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
What T Sunstone said X2. I have a pair of Ziess and Lietz but only carry my 6x32s
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Read this forum if you have the time -

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793

and then buy the Sightron Bluesky II 8x32.  I can tell you these are amazing binos.  All of the reviews are right on and you cannot beat these for less than $1k!! That is right - a $189 bino that beats anything up to 6 times the price.

Let me know your thoughts if you get them.  I think this is the best deal in hunting at the moment.

Cheers,

James

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor.  Buy a set of the Leupold Yosemite 6x30.  Unreal glass that you may decide to just stick with.  That will give you a chance to get real familiar with using binos and figure out what does and doesn't work for you.  Best $100 I've ever spent on glass and what I reach for most often.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Love my 10X42 Leupold Pinnacles......  :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
I use binos every time I hunt, the Leopold Katmai 6x32 is great for bowhunting-IMO anyway. Compact, easy to use and quick focusing, great for separating fur from brush when you are still hunting.

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
The mojaves are worth it.  I looked though the whole lineup before purchasing the mojaves.  Best glass and design.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
My dad a got a pair of Mojave 8x42 last month.  I have a pair nikon in 8x42 and they are clearer, brighter, and sharper than what I have.  I like them so much I will be getting a pair.

Offline Jan Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
I love my Cascade 10x42 binos. Leopold makes great stuff. The quality speaks for itself, you won't be disappointed...!
Jan Brown
Orange County, New York
Lead, Follow, or Get Out Of The Way

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
I have the 8x42 cascades.  Just got them this summer.  Love 'em, can't be sure how they can be better.  In low light, if I can't quite make it out with my bare eyes, the cascades almost seem to light it up when I look through them.  Always very sharp image.  Highly recommmended by me at least...
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Leupold's are nice I have a couple of sets and just got a new Leupold spotting scope.  Always a good deal for the money.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I've been exceptionally pleased with my Leupold Yosemite binoculars.  To my eyes, the image looks like $250-$350 binoculars in terms of resolution, clarity, sharpness, correct color hues, not washing out when looking into trees, depth of field, and brightness.  I'm not a big time optics guy but the Yosemite line, both 6x and 8x, seem like exceptional glass for the cost.  The view through them was better to me than even other products in the Leupold line that cost more money.  You may want to compare the Yosemites against the two you like and decide for yourself; your eyes may find a difference worth paying more for.  Also being able to feel the product in your own hands will give you a good idea of ergonomics and having a set of glass that fits you well and is easy to use might be worth the extra cash one way or another.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
I agree about the Leupold Yosemite binos. i love mine and think they are the best buy out there.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Leopold Yosemite guy here too. I was blessed with good eyes, so I appreciate god vision, and when I need the binoculars, I really appreciate the sharp image of a real good binocular

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I mean good vision, it's not that good :-)

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 02:06:00 AM »
I have the Mojaves in 8x42.  They are a great bino for the money.  Very durable lens coatings. No regrets whatsoever.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
I have neither of the Leuopold binos to compare to. However I just got back from a photo safari in SA and I used my Minox BF 10x42 BR and could pick out game out on the hillside better than my guide who a high end pair of Nikon 10x50s so that has been my recent experience with the Minox , looking forward to using them for scouting next year on elk.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©