3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nock height? help  (Read 157 times)

Online Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
nock height? help
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Hi guys.  I would like to get a better understanding of the proper tuning of traditional equipment. Starting with the nock height.  Is there a rhyme or reason to how high above shelf level you should place the nock if I am shooting split finger.  I think I might be putting it too high because I always put it at the top of the T-square as I was once instructed. Could this cause arrows to hit at a point higher than I am looking?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: nock height? help
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
The rule of thumb when shooting fingers is to start at 1/2"-5/8".

Wherever you start you need then to check for level nock flight (I paper tune at 6 feet -- some don't).  If your nock isn't level then you adjust up or down accordingly at about 1/16" at a time.  

Almost all my bows shoot best with 5/8" above horizontal.

Directly from Easton PDF:  A low tear indicates a low nocking point. To correct, raise the nocking point 1/16" (1.6 mm) at a time and repeat the procedure until the low vertical tear is eliminated.  Opposite if a high tear.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: nock height? help
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
When using the T square consider the thickness of your nock.
Add that to the bottom line. If you put your nocking point right there you would be square.
Most split finger shooters need it a little higher anywhere from 1/8 to a half or more.

When tuning if your arrows are flying straight  you can fine tune using paper to,shoot through moving the nock point as needed.

Another tuning technique is shoot field tips , and hopefully have a good group. Then shoot a broadhead . The nocking point can be fine tuned to raise or lower the broadhead impact.
The broadhead will be more effected than the field points .
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©