3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold Hunt!  (Read 240 times)

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold Hunt!
« on: December 11, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
I got out of the truck yesterday to a 13 degree, 0 degree windchill, with post rifle season deer on my mind.  I didn't bother getting on stand in the dark because it was soooo cold and ended up bumping two deer on the early light trek through the woods. Thinking maybe I'd bumped what I was going to see for the day, I decided to press on and hunt for a few hours anyway.

Though I had on every layer of hunting gear I own, the cold was brutal. The wind died off early and made it a bit more bearable, but by that time, my soul was even shaking! I fought the urge to get down and head out several times and around 11 am, I heard a twig snap up the draw, behind my tree. I stood and slowly turned around to have a peek and spotted a mature doe and a yearling stepping into the draw that winds in front of the stand.

As they approached, the big doe was in front and as she came into shooting range, she looked up at my tree and me, but didn't spook. I was ready, with bow in hand, but she played a two step, stop and look game with me through the entire opening, making it difficult to get drawn. She turned onto a trail to give me a quartering away shot through a small window, but as I came to full draw, she slid to the next window, at a much more severe angle. I read and counted her ribs and decided not to take the chance, swung on the yearling, and let down..

I've been practicing Terry Green's form and quick shooting method and have become rather efficient in it, so I think I could have taken the doe at the first quartering window. However, when I spoke with my wife about the incident last night, I rambled something that made sense to me. I told her that in my evaluation of the situation, the yearling didn't look like it would have survived more than a few days without that big doe leading the way, inspecting the woods as she proceeded to layout their path. The yearling was oblivious to my presence and what was about to unfold had I realeased an arrow, and surely would have become an easy meal for the coyote pack in the neighborhood.

In a matter of minutes, I'd learned a good deal of worth in ethics and selective harvest. Not taking a low percentage shot (through the second window), and leaving a care taker for the youngster.

I have to thank God for the experience and the wisdom to let down.

Shoot straight..

Rory
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold Hunt!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
Heading out this AM 23 degrees, i know it is going to be a cold sit! We have about 2in of snow on the ground deer are moving thats for sure, my only issue is my left index finger, I have some nerve damage and no matter what I do it gets cold but i bear it! I have been using a down coat with a fleece hoody over then my Wool Asbell pullover, for me warm clothes must give me the ability to manuever, no since in being warm if you can't draw your bow LOL! As to your passing on the shot I would have done the same!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
Great story Rory.  Thanks for sharing it with us!

:clapper:    :clapper:
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Well done!

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  
Good for you, good story.
David M. Conroy

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Reminds me of a morning when I had my glove off for a minute and that's when the deer show up. By the time they were within range, I could not feel the bow in my left hand. I was actually happy that no shot was offered, so I could get my glove on and my hands back in the muff where the chem packs were waiting to defrost the tissue.  :eek:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
You got it together.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
good story and good call on not shooting.  

I've only hunted in that kind of cold once. I was hunting a high fence property, the only one in OR with exotics and I picked what was literally the coldest day of the year. The high where I was made it to 10 adn windchill was probably about what you had.  My mustache was frozen solid from my breath.  I took a nice asian water buff and a 750lb hog but for something I'll never do again (high fence) I wish I'd picked a better time of the year.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Man you are tougher than me, and perhaps a bit younger. In earlier years I could handle pretty severe cold but not any longer. Fortunately, here in the south, we don't have the severly brutal cold that some of you guys up north and out west contend with. I envy your stamina.
Sam

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Heading out in the cold Monday was not one of my most intelligent decisions. I suffer from cold feet all the time and would have caved had my stand not been facing more east than south. The sun on my boots really made the difference and for once, I was glad I set my stand in this position. Tomorrow's supposed to be a pretty nice day, so I think I'll climb in an hour or so predawn. My buddy and I have a pretty good track record in this area, so maybe something will come along that will offer up 'the shot'.
Wish me well.

Shoot Straight
Rory
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©