3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hawkeye, know any of these fellow?  (Read 358 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
Hawkeye, know any of these fellow?
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »

Offline HawkeyeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hawkeye, know any of these fellow?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Can't say I recognize anyone. . . Who are we lookin at?

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Shoot, I know three for sure and maybe the guy in the white t-shirt, too.  Sure do miss the gentleman on the left.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
Yep! Thought that was Jerry.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
I think this might be for a different hawkeye.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline HawkeyeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Haha, nevermind then  :)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Yes, Jerry on the left.

The dog is Buddy.

It's been awhile since I took this photo but believe the fellow in the white shirt is Brian Cole, form the early Stickbow days.

I think we were shooting a plastic bottle cap and Jerry was beating the socks off us.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Jerry was a very good shot.  Down at the target is Bernard Swank and the guy on the right with two bows is Daryl Harding, aka Hawkeye.  Haven't seen or heard from Brian in years.  Thanks for the pic, LA.   :)

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
I am in contact with Brian Cole frequently. He now lives in Nashville,Tn and is making it as a singer/songwriter.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »
Wow, Cliff!  That brings back a flood of important and wonderful memories. Thank you!

Within 10 days of the time that photo was taken, Jerry was gone, felled by a fatal heart attack.  I've lost several good friends in my life, but JP is the one I still think of, and miss, often.  He was a very special man, and there are too, too, few like him.

There are a dozen worthwhile stories from this hunt, but there is one in particular your picture brought back to mind...

At this time (March of '99), I had been shooting traditional equipment for 5 years, but had little time to hunt because of farm life and business responsibilities.  Here I was in South Carolina for my first hog hunt, but had only killed a handful of squirrels, two rabbits, a skunk(!), and a 1" hickory sapling covering the heart of a small whitetail buck in my bowhunting career.

After several days of wandering the 11,000 swamp with no knowledge of where to look or what to do, I headed down one of the sandy roads toward the middle of the swamp in Jerry's Ranger pickup.  He was staying in camp because he was feeling poorly from the flu (within a week we'd realize it had really something infinitely more serious), but insisted I take his truck and go out.

For several hours, I slipped along a creek in my very best farmboy fashion, honed from years in the squirrel woods.  I heard a noise in the palmettos, and soon saw two 80# pigs rooting along in my direction.  When one turned broadside at fifteen yards, I sent a Woodsman-tipped cedar shaft from the Choctaw recurve Jerry had given me a year earlier.  The broadhead cut the spine and the top of the lungs, and seconds later my very first "big game" animal lay dead.

I got the pig dragged about 300 yards through the swamp and lifted up onto the tailgate, and pulled into camp just as the sun dipped near the horizon.

Jerry came sauntering out as I pulled my bow from the truck, and as a buddy of few words will do, said, "Well???"  I suspect he expected me to say "No luck," based on previous experience.

I raised my eyebrows, and gestured toward the rear of the truck with my head. He looked at me over the top of his glasses (always a serious sign with him), and walked toward the tailgate wondering if I was trying to pull something...

When Jerry saw the pig, he let out a Rebel yell that would have made General Lee proud, pulled the trophy to the ground to examine it closely, and smiled a smile I will never forget.  He repeatedly asked for details, shook my hand several times, and ended up slapping me on the back in congratulations with his big sledgehammer hands until it almost made me dizzy.

Jerry was a usually quiet and reserved guy, but a dear friend, and he was thrilled with my success as a relative rookie.  As he slapped my back, he crowed, "And the BEST part is... it was with a PIERCE BOW!!!!!," and gestured like someone celebrating a game winning touchdown. I remember his exuberance with great fondness, and it is one of the last memories I got to share with him.

Cliff, I don't know if you still have yours, but I brought crested, splice-fletched arrows for each person on that hunt, and we all signed each other's as souvenirs. It was the first time I'd tried fancy-pants arrows, and kept the worst one for myself, as you'll see from the cresting.  I pulled it out of my bow rack tonight, and have attempted to attach a picture.  If it is clear enough, you'll see your name, Jerry's, and my last name in the photo.  The other names signed from the hunt around the arrow are Robert Packard, Dean Torges, Brian Cole, Jan Adkins, Gene Langston, and Stanley Anderson.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but your picture was worth a thousand fond memories.  I'll quit before I end up typing 1,000 words in response, but I thank you!

Daryl

PS- The picture shows Jerry Pierce, Brian Cole, Buddy the Wonder Dog, Stanley Anderson (by the target- not Bernie Swank, although they share the same hair stylist), and yours truly holding two bows.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »
Geeeze, gettin' old is for the birds.  I believe I gave my arrow to Fred Anderson for his arrow collection, but Robert has his prominently displayed in the new quarters.  

I stumbled upon this old gal back off Middle Swamp Road [this fall renamed "Dead Dog Road" during our annual hunt, which is another story] with a boy friend during this hunt.  

It was a little tense for awhile after shooting her at 5 yards.  The sow walked off and laid down but the boar wasn't wanting to leave her and fussed about in the palmettos until I gave the gal another broadside.  After squealing like Ned Beatty at the impact, she rolled over and died.  

The boar came un-glued at that point, rammed her, then headed my direction at a high rate of speed.  With more quickness than I thought possible, I jumped behind a tree and tossed one over his shoulder as he passed.  I don't believe he actually met to charge me, but just happened to be pointed in my direction when he finally decided to leave the field of battle, but sure had me fooled for a second or two.

As I was walking out to get some help, Robert and Jerry drove up and Jerry insisted we go back and get the hog right then.  We did and the three of us took turns pulled the 155# sow about a quarter mile to where we could get my Suburban to her.

I was pretty dirty after all that, so cleaned up and changed shirts before the photo.   :)  

The world is a smaller place without Jerry, he touched so many folks.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
Isn't it grand how memories like that can stick so vividly in our minds?  Old friends brought back to life with the power of your brains.  I didn't know Jerry myself, but through your stories I'm getting a pretty good picture.  I'm betting he's wearing a big grin today knowing y'all are remembering the good times  :campfire:  
Great stuff right here!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
No doubt a memorable hunt. Thanks for sharing.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
This is cool. Gene Langston lives right down the road from me and was on here a few weeks back. He has been out of Archery a while but got himself a new Grayling Green Recurve. Love those Pierce Points.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
very cool stuff guys ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
And people wonder why we like hunting? cool to look from the outside in on this thread.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Thanks Bill and Daryl for the updates and corrections.  I wondered where this picture was taken, it sure didn't look like central IL.   :D

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »
Thanks guys  :campfire:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
Great story. Your words are a great tribute to your old friend.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Very Cool...........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©