3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow Fever  (Read 322 times)

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow Fever
« on: December 11, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
I am thinking of buying a new bow. Need to drop down in weight. Presently shoot a 56 lb 60 in SA111 and a 59 lb 66 in 21 Century New Moon. I hate the grip on my widow love the way it shoots an arrow so I shoot the longbow. Looking at Mohawk Sparrowhawk, Thunderstick 111, Toelke Whip. I like a really small handle the new moon basically has no overlays front or back and I love it any suggestions? The Whip standard handle is larger than I want.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Joshua Long

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow Fever
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Check out Toelke's Super-D.  I have one and it has a smaller grip.  You cannot go wrong with a Mohawk either.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
If you like a small handle and want a real snappy little long bow with a lifetime warranty from an awesome bowyer,  look into the Bama bows!!!!  I had an Expi Hunter and LOVED everything about it with the exception of the GRIP!!!  It was a little too narrow and therefore distracting to me...I sold it.  Awesome bow though....I'd still have it if the grip where a little fatter in the palm area....and I only have MED sized hands.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Joshua I have looked at the Super D and like it. I have been spoiled by the hybrid bow performance and absolute lack of shock. Have you shot the Super D?
Ton of selfbows
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline subsonic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
I have a Thunderstick III and really like it.  I have found it to be smooth and forgiving.  It is really accurate for me.
Casse Couilles!

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Take a close look at the Liberty Archery bow line..I have the Edge model. Very smooth, quick, and quiet.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Doug the moab would be close to performance you are used to in the 21 st century.I have a Mohawk and love it but it is not a super fast bow but shoots fast enough and sweet. Have owned a Tolke Super D and it was a nice bow.RC

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
I suggest trying a Tomahawk Diamond series bow! I have yet to find any other one piece bow that shoots as good as it does for me. If you like takedowns look at the Legacy series Tomahawk as great as the others are it is even better!
James Kerr

Offline Joshua Long

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
Yes, I have a Super-D and love it.  It is the bow I shoot most consistently and accurately.  The grip seems to have allowed me to have a more consistent anchor.  I like a low grip.  It seems steadier in my hand.  I know what works for me others might dislike as our hands are all different. I don't notice much handshock if any.  Personally, it seems to hit my block targets the hardest of the bows I own.

I also have a Mohawk and a NM Baraga(smoothest drawing bow I have owned).  They all three have very different grips. Hope this helps.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Thanks fellas. RC I love the looks of those Mohawks especially the finish. I really don't care so much about the speed as the "dead in the hand" complete lack of handshock with the old Centry bow. Maybe I should just get both! I wish.
Ton of selfbows
PBS Regular Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
I like a really small handle the new moon basically has no overlays front or back and I love it any suggestions?

You may want to consider someone building a custom grip to your specs.... i know a few guys that do that fairly well.....   :archer2:    :archer2:

Offline Chaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
dry ridge archery, don dow longbows,pronghorn takedown(herb meland), [ the one piece is a little larger handle],  many others.........
Love God, love your neighbor!

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I shoot a Toelke Whip and went to it from a BW PSA III. I really like the Whip. I guess you could say I "got the fever" too!

I would suggest you try each prospective bow if you can... then make a decision.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
I just got a Crow Creek in a trade,very impressed with the way this bow shoots,good finish,very well made a winner all around.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
The FireHawk from Rodney Wright has a small grip...
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
The Mohawk as a great grip thats fits great. Vince is a good guy as well. But heck most trad Bowyers are.I have a new bow coming in a few days and would be glad to send you my mohawk if you want to try one out before you order one.Its 47@27 and 64" long. Beat up but a blood thirsty killer.RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Forgot to Add that South of stalker stickbows has a fine line of one piece longbows as well and a try before you buy program I believe. My new bow coming is a takedown longbow from him.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©