3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tip Protectors?  (Read 659 times)

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tip Protectors?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
The baby bottles work great, as long as your tips are not to pointed..at least for me.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
I use the rubber ones as well. Never seen a reason to change to anything else.
James Kerr

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I use the black rubber jobs and they work well. I have tried the leather and I do agree they look great but they made my bow louder. Has anyone else noticed this?

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
mine seemed to get quieter if anything, might be the type of leather one too. I think their are a few types out there.  Might also depend on the bow or type of bow, mine are all recurves.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Car54:
The baby bottles work great, as long as your tips are not to pointed..at least for me.
X2...went to the rubber. Not very traditional looking but will probably last forever.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
I use the rubber but saw on here once where someone posted a homemade variety they made from the pinky finger of a leather work glove.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
AS been said. Rubber keeps moisture in just  as well  as it keeps it out.  Making your own leather protectors is an easy job.

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
I use the rubber also, but cut them down considerably.  I cut them to about 1/2" and they stay on fine.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Nipple from a pacifier.

The design provides excellent protection, dureable,conforms both nicely and secure to the recess of the string notch. While secure, the binky nipple is easily installed and remove.

Have used numerous limb protector commercial versions in the past. None, in my experience, have matched nor surpassed a nipple from a simple binky.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Same as rraming on longbows. Use these Saunders protecters on recurves.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Rubber ones for me. I always put a couple of holes in the bottom to allow any moisture to get out.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I like the clear baby bottle nipples as well. I just cut the tip off. I like the fact that if I have a nice tip(antler or whatever) You can still see them also. Almost looks like there is nothing on them.   BILL

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
use the rubber ones but I punch  3 small holes in it ...1 at the bottom and 1 on face side of bow and back side of bow..to have  holes to allow moisture to escape and the holes are 1/8" in diameter so  I would never have any issues with my tip overlay like a friend did years ago before I started using the rubber..I have also dipped in rubber 1/4" long on tip with great results as well
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
I made my own tip protector from leather bought from Hobbylobby. It's kinda loose and tends to slip after two or three shots so I constantly have to re-adjust the protector every other shot. Kind of a pain in the butt, but it's better than ruining my tip.
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
TJ,
I have plastic and leather.  However, I don't put them on any of my bows.  I'm more afraid of the moisture I can't see doing damage.

It sounds like you may be dealing with highly portable stand situations (climbers, just hung hang-ons)?  I'm sure like I do you hang a haul line in your already hung stands and when the end loop is over the limb tip the bow is off the ground.  

I don't use climbers very often (once every 4-5 years) but if I were to use one I might put a glove finger over the limb tip and let it pinch under the string until I've hauled the bow into to the tree.   I used to do this with firearms to keep the muzzle protected as I hauled the gun, butt first into the stand.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Yes, Roy, if I hunt an existing stand more than once I have a line that I tie up and can hang the bow off the ground. But I like to hang and hunt right then most the time. I think your first time in an area is the best one to surprise the big boy. Hanging a stand and leaving to come back another day I believe just gives the mature deer a leg up on the hunter as when they come through after you are gone they possibly smell you have been there and avoid the area for some time.

Then there are other times I lean my bow up when not at a stand. I hunt some ground blinds also and am always leaning them up.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
My Widow PSA is noticably quieter without a tip protector; doesn't seem to matter with my other bows.  Stopped using them anyway; never worn a tip out by not using one.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Wow I'm amazed at all the "rubber" responses. Out here hunting in the Rockies. There are lost of .....well...... ROCKS... I learned real fast that the tips always seem to be hitting rocks so I started making and using leather ones. I make them small so that they snug the tip well.  Each bow has a specific tip so I have to make a bunch.  But they are indispensable during the season. I keep them off the rest of the year.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Surgecal tubing
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
I never use them.
Tip protectors can store moisture and delaminate the tips.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©