3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The post office has my present. And she is a Vixen!!  (Read 470 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
The post office has my present. And she is a Vixen!!
« on: December 11, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
The post office is holding my new JD berry Vixen and 3:30 can not come fast enough.  She is 68" 50@27. Bubinga riser , brown glass back, clear belly . Red elm core. Wedges in the tips.  And since she is my first I have named her "cherry popper"  Pics to come later. Sorry!!!

James is an absolute pleasure to work with and is a plethora ofr knowledge. This is my first "built for me" custom and I could not be happier with my choice of bower. I will be buying from James again.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The post office has my present. And she is a Vixen!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Lets see them pics brian just set the bow down long enough

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
It's after 3:30. Where are the pics?  :bigsmyl:
James Kerr

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
He's too busy shooting
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »

This says "Defensor Fortis" it stands for Defender of the Force

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
The craftsmanship is flawless, the pic shows some weird stuff, but its wax and grease from my hands. I was literally opening the box as I walked from the P.O. to my Truck.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »

and some missiles for fun

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
That's it?    :dunno:
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Ill Try to get good outside pics this weekend.  I leave for work in the dark and get home right at dark.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
One more for you Pat, oh and Pat, you will be glad you have not ordered a bow yet, because when you shoot the Vixen you will be calling James.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Well its bedtime for the kiddo's so I am off to read Rudolf and Frosty, Ill post my initial feelings of the Vixen later after I write my report.

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I just figured I'd wait a couple weeks for when you decide to sell it.     :goldtooth:
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by emt137:
I just figured I'd wait a couple weeks for when you decide to sell it.       :goldtooth:  
:laughing:      :D

I don't know,I have one of James bows.I think he may keep this one quite awhile!

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Very nice!   :thumbsup:  A look similar of the American Longbow or HH. Congrats
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Awesome bro. Good looker.and if its like mine its an awesome shooter too

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by emt137:
I just figured I'd wait a couple weeks for when you decide to sell it.      :goldtooth:  
Not this time Pat. I have struck gold.  I have been playing the field finding out what suits my fancy.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Very sweet bow!!! Now dont go shooting at any reindeer.....that will just get ya put on the naughty list.

:archer2:
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Ok, so the kids are in bed, and the minuets of my meeting are typed up.

So after work I went the to post office to pick up the Vixen and as I am walking to the truck I am cutting open the box it was shipped in.  First impression is this thing is gorgeous.  The brown glass is a phenomenal mocha color, the bubinga jumps out at me and has some streaks running thru the grain the are gorgeous.  The Red elm is as beautiful as ever and the caramel color is breathtaking.

I told James I wanted the green leather and it is everything I could have asked for.  His handwriting is like calligraphy, but he writes very small, much like Steve Turay does at Northern Mist.  I love how it does not distract from the overall appearance of the bow.  It is extremely light in the hand, or as Nate (sunset hill) says, like a wand in your hand.  

The shelve is cut 1/8th from center, and it stands out because it is a much larger shelve than what comes on a NM or HHA. I like that about it, If I would have known that James cuts his shelves flat, (the sight window is radiused) I would have requested it be radiused also, but it by no means takes away from the bow. James cuts his flat because thats what he has always done.  

I get it home and set the brace to around 6 3/16 (that is my fistmele) like all my other Straight limbed bows, and proceed to shoot some mismatched arrows in my quiver just to put spears downrange.  At this point I have no nock or silencers on the bow.  It has zero buzz, zero handshock and the draw is smooth as butter and the release is crisp quick and silent.  I was stacking them in at 15 yards quite well already.  The bow is balanced perfectly and handles like a dream.  

I found myself just looking at the braced profile of this bow, as it is a picture that drums up sherwood. the gentle curve of the limbs to those little bitty petite tips.  I will take a pick later comparing the tips to a quarter like I have seen done before.  

Now one of the most amazing things about this bow is how James traps these limbs. I tried taking about 30 different pictures to capture it but can not get it on film.  its a steep belly trap, but instead of a trapezoid shape there are no edges and if it were not for the glass on the belly the cross section would be a "D" like on the ELB.  It is phenomenal how he pulls it off. Think a steep trap, but instead of diagonal lines to the flat spot it is a rolling curve with just about 3/4' of flat spot on the belly of the lime.  

Now, I have not shot a Sunset Hill, Timberline, Howard Hill built bow, but I have shot a lot of others to include a Shultz, David Miller "old tom" multiple HHA and NM bows, and for ME the Vixen has earned its place at the very top of the list in aesthetics, balance, feel, smoothness and speed.  James has done a work of not only beauty but functionality with his design of the American-Semi longbow.  If you are like me and like to shoot all things Straight limbed longbow you owe it to yourself to at least shoot a Vixen or Misty Dawn someday.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Very nice! Looks to have a bit more shelf cut than my NM Classic. I like that.
Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©