3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bucks respond to climbing?  (Read 322 times)

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bucks respond to climbing?
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
How many know without question that bucks have came in as a result of hearing your stand go up a tree. This happened to me twice. I try to make my climb as quiet as possible but at times it might help to be heard!

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bucks respond to climbing?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Yes, a couple  of times.  I think they may hear it as another buck rubbing a tree and brings them in for a look.  Gotta be ready at all times I guess.   :archer:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
I had a little 6 point come in a few years ago to the clanging of taking a stand down!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I had this happen about 8 years ago on state land...

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Ummm.... I had a six pointer come in behind me as I was "getting rid of a cup of coffee" from my ladder stand.  He came within 5 yards from the sound of falling... water... and stood for several minutes.  I did not have my bow in my hands, and it would NOT have been a pretty picture!!!   :saywhat:    :saywhat:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
i had one come in right after dark as I was climbing down a week ago....scared hell out of me when he blew and was right there next to me as I stepped out to walk to vehicle...  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
I new that moose respond to unfamiliar or uninted calls but with whitetail it's a first for me!!! Now we'll have to include the treestand climber call on the list for whitetail   :D    :biglaugh:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
I have it happen every year...usually a couple times. Up here it may have to do with the deer not being pressured or scared and just being all around more curious. Kinda like bears!

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Just had a conversation with my Dad last week recounting this past season and I told him about two encounters with bucks (smaller) coming in as I was setting up.  My Lone Wolf climber on red pines.  Told him I've never had success rattling here in our pressured areas and that next year I was going to bring in only one shed and rake the tree instead.  I really think that bucks around here have been "over called" to with grunts and can bleats.  Something less obvious like rubbing a tree may trigger something that other guys aren't doing as much.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Several years ago, I was dangling halfway up and doe ran up to check out the invasive noise.  I lost that staring contest.  Happened again a couple years ago when already up and trying to get settled in - smart old doe came to investigate.

Similar - about two weeks ago right as I was getting down about 9:30 in morning - saw a doe coming in about 100 yards away but shielded.  Didn't want her figuring out my spot, so I quickly climbed down a ladder stand, then I started snorting and making a bunch of racket 20 yards or so away on the ground, then moseyed her way to do some scouting in a ditch, and with me being pretty loud out pops her head from the palmettos about 10 yards from me. We have some skittish deer so this was crazy.  Guess all deer are different and some are very curious - especially in areas that aren't heavily hunted.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
I don't know about climbing up, but I seem to attract them when I am climbing down and my bow and quiver are already on the ground.  We just look at each other until they waltz away   :)
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
3 years ago I was hunting 600 ft down in a hollow about 1 1/4 mi. from my truck. I wanted to get down a little early to start my climb out. I might have had 5 minutes shooting light left. I had just stepped off the platform, was on my knees getting my backpack together and I hear that single tchh in the leaves. I thought dang squirrels. Then a few seconds later I hear it again. I sit back on my knees and here he comes up over a little rise and is 8 ft from me right at the tree. Beautiful, big body, heavy 8pt mountain buck. I couldn't believe it. We stared at each other for a few seconds and he was gone. I have often wondered what brought him in. He had to be close, probably watched me climb down. Never thought about the sound of the stand. I use a Lone Wolf hand climber and it is quiet.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
That's interesting... I've had two bucks come in to the sound of my pull up rope hitting the ground. I attach it to a dried turkey foot... has a little substance to it and makes a nice sound hitting the leaves I guess. I was always paranoid enough about dropping it after lowering my bow... lol I take a last good look around :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
NBK could be right we might have educated some deer by overcalling. I pondered that very thought as I used a can  few days ago. It's funny how at the sound of noise deer can nail down the location from quiet a distance away. I've bleated and watched them travel a good distance just to stop right under my stand like they have a built in GPS!

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
I have had it happen several times. This year it was a very nice buck and I was only six feet off of the ground when he came in. My bow was still on the ground. Long story short, I was busted.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
This year I cut off one annoying limb, very thorny locus, and was using that to try to knock down a dead branch that was in my shooting window. While I was trying to knock it down a 6 pointer came rushing in with his lips curled back, the whole time making all kinds of noises.  After he passed by, I tried to make those same screechy noises with my deer call and he came right back.  No shooting, I was trying to fill doe tags.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
absolutely.  the very first thing I do when I get in a tree is get my bow ready. next is a soft doe bleat or grunt. can't tell you how many times I gotten in a tree and had a deer come in...How ever  I can tell you how many shots I've gotten---- 0---- but one of these days....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
One thought I was a buck rubbing/rattling and came right to the as I was half way down! he was about 8 feet straight below me.

Also while breaking branches out of the way I have had deer (mostly buck) come in on several occasions.

Lots of flickers and wood peckers in my area and they are noisy, I don't think a deer would think those sounds are out of place.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Putting up a Lock-on ladder stand, got a strap hung in a lucust beside my tree. Made a bunch of noise and figured the morning would be a washout, then looked on the hill and a nice buck was looking at me all puffed up like a baloon. He rode home in the truck. Another time a doe came up and watched me climb into a tree with a Loggy Byou climber. She left just before I could get the bow pulled up. Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
I think it boils down to the fact that deer are curious animals - particularly young animals (and does seem more curious than bucks in my (limited) experience).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©