3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: limb-tip mass and speed  (Read 202 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
limb-tip mass and speed
« on: December 12, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Bowyers spend a lot of time, energy, and thought lightening limb tips to improve cast.  Then we do things like adding tip protectors, horn overlays, etc and increase tip weight.  Has anyone done any testing to determine when added weight to the limb tips becomes significant?  I'm sure most of these additions are not noticable to the naked eye, but in theory all added mass makes a difference...

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: limb-tip mass and speed
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
The idea applies to the tapering of the limb out to the tips. If the limb was square all the way out, like a 2x4, it would be a lot slower than a tapered one. That said, for every 10-15g on a limb tip you "could" loose 1-fps.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Yes all added mass makes a difference. Don't forget  carbon and foam limbs, skinny strings, string silencers, etc.
My limited testing shows a very slight gain in speed ,but only with very light arrows.
Heavy hunting arrows will probably negate any small percentage of speed gain.
Tom

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I only know this from my days building self bows from hickory. I built a bunch originally started making mehre heath replicas. Later I built pyramid style bows and wow! I went back and tapered the limbs more on the originals and double wow! Of course with modern glass bows we are talking very little mass in the tips anyway.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
swampthing,  is that 1-fps loss per 10-15 grn added based on empirical data or just an estimate?  

Everything I've read says lighter limbs (and especially limb tips) = more speed, but I'd like to see some apples to apples comparisons.  For example,  bow #1 shot 500 grn arrow 180 fps, horn tip overlays were added and bow #1 shot same arrow 177 fps.  (not that 3 fps is a deal killer, I'm just curious)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Highly scientific, empirical, and tested. Seriously though, I have seen that speed change pretty consistently, based on added mass, weather it is on the string, on the arrow, on the bow, etc.. etc..  Some bows are affected more, especially with light arrows.

Offline LEWIS VADEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Lighter tips also reduces handshock in the few bows I have built.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Wider tips and limbs also generate more air drag when snapping forward on release.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Besides looking like a glob on the end of the limbs, I also read/heard they contribut to hand shock.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Blacky Schwartz did a comparison test on three different limb lengths from the same manufacture, and the limb with the smaller limb tips was faster by a few feet per second.

So then he did an experiment to see if the smaller tips made a difference, he tapped a penny on the limb tips and it slowed the limbs down.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
I just threw a penny on the gn scale-50 gns so two would be 100 gns. That's pretty significant! Careful though guys we could be accused of talking about that "S" thing-I can feel the hackles starting to stir all over the internet.   :D

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
A brass nock point on the string of a compound will drop 3 fps consistantly off of the bow speed. I have never actually tested heavy tips on a stick bow because I build light tips and there is no need to prove that heavy tips would be detrimental to performance all else equal. Its just a fact that they are.

God bless and Merry Christmas to you all, Steve

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
You cant measure the effect because the amount of effect is so small adding a tip protector. Manuel shooting (with fingers)though a chronograph will very 2-3 fps. That's why we shoot 3-4 arrows to get a average. Most bowyers today I know have tapper limbs with small tips. More important is the protection of the bows tip on the lower limb.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©