3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to shoot a 3 piece longbow  (Read 229 times)

Offline mulot

• Trad Bowhunter
How to shoot a 3 piece longbow
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Do you shoot these bows off the shelf like you would a recurve  with a pistol grip or like you would a longbow stick. When I shoot a recurve my grip is loose and the bow is only slightly canted. For the longbow stick with a shelf I use a tight full grip and cant the bow 30 to 45 deg.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to shoot a 3 piece longbow
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
I've never shot a 3 piece longbow as mine is a one piece... but I see no reason why there would be a difference in the two.

I like to cant my LB "just a tad"... as it gives me a clearer target view, but I practice different angles, including horizontal. Hunting situations may require it.

I shoot "off the shelf"... and with a fairly tight grip on the bow. I shoot recurves with a looser grip (not sure why... it just feels best).
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Sorry... I just realized the reason that I shoot the LB with a tighter grip is because it is SO light compared to the RC. (You might think it would be the other way around, but the LB feels like it wants to jump out of my hand while the RC has more weight... anchoring it to my hand.)
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Most three piece longbows have contoured grips and reflex/deflex limbs, making them closer to a recurve than they are to a straight-limbed broom-handled longbow.  I shoot mine just like I shoot my recurves.  Feel free to experiment, though, and use whatever works best for you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline mulot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Thanks guys,

Presently I seem to be shooting my Morey 68" 3 piece TD longbow best when I hold it like a stick canted + 20 deg. I have tried a Black creek Banshie TD longbow and it would shoot better like a recurve. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good quiet,fast and accurate 3 piece longbow in the 62"-64" range.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
Arrow on string, draw back, release. Repeat as needed.  :biglaugh:  
Sorry, couldn't resist!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
One good choice would be a Toelke Lynx. That is the one I was thinking about when I made the comment above. Equally fine would be a Morrison Shawnee, which I also have and wouldn't part with.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
What bow is it.  Most 3 piece are a curve with straight tips, shoot like a curve.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
One you might look at is the 3 piece Sarrels Blue Ridge with either the standard or short riser. I have the S/R longbow and the grip is very similar to a standard longbow grip.  No need to shoot it any differently than a standard longbow.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
G.W. Flannagan makes a really nice 3 piece long bow!  He just made me an extra set of limbs for mine.  I'll try to get a picture of it latter today or tomorrow.

K.C.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
X 2 on the Sarrel's Blueridge.  Bob's having a Christmas sale right now as well.....great time to get a smokin' deal on one.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by mulot:
Do you shoot these bows off the shelf like you would a recurve  with a pistol grip or like you would a longbow stick. When I shoot a recurve my grip is loose and the bow is only slightly canted. For the longbow stick with a shelf I use a tight full grip and cant the bow 30 to 45 deg.
Why would you shoot a long bow any different than a recurve bow? I build long bow limbs and RC limbs for the same riser and shoot them the same way....    :dunno:    

Even my more traditional D shaped one piece long bows i place may hand in the same position for repeatable accuracy.... But.... having the grip shape match your natural wrist rotation and grip angle makes a lot of difference.....The shape of the limbs has nothing to do with how you shoot bro..... How close to center the shelf is cut can have effects on windage accuracy when canting the bow. but that's about it...

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
I shoot a longbow the same as my recurves, no noticable cant. If it is a straight grip one piece or two piece longbow the only difference is a heel down grip vice more of a thumb fore finger grip with the recurve. For a three piece longbow I grip the same as my recurves.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©