3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Quiver suggestions  (Read 221 times)

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Quiver suggestions
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
I shoot a longbow and I need quiver suggestions. I am trying to downsize and lighten what I take hunting. I like shooting my bow without any quiver on it but I like how easy it is to carry my arrows with a bow quiver. I primarily hunt from a tree stand.

First, I'm going to stop carrying my backpack and carry my gear with a Haversack from gfredasbell.com

Haversack  

Next, I need to figure out a quiver. I was thinking about the GFA quiver also made by gfredasbell (also found on link above). Does anyone have any experience with these?

But I also like the idea of going with a strap on Great Northern bow quiver. Can I use it to carry my arrows and then take it off once I get to my stand? but that may be defeating the purpose of it.

I need light and convenient, anyone have recommendations for what I can use?
"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Quiver suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Efa three arrow bow quiver is very small and lite .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
I am still searching for the best quiver. I have tried to like bow quivers, but just don't seem to feel comfortable shooting until I take the quiver off the bow. I tried to use it like a GFA but it seems at least to me, that my fletching takes a beating in the brush.  So far my Safari-Tuff has been the best- for me. Not perfect, I think it is too noisy in the brush.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline LarryP243

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
have you tried a hip quiver ? they take a little getting used to ,but work well and very quiet if worn correctly

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
The EFA with Totem quiver is very light, and if you prefer to take it off once in the stand, you can do that without everything coming apart.

I still like a Hill style back quiver with a longbow though. Howard didn't use them just to look cool. They work!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
My suggestion would be one of 3; of the three options below I prefer the Dual Arc for myself.

1) Small EFA quiver - about as light as it gets and you have the convenience of bow-mounted quiver

2) Kanati Dual Arc - seemingly infinitely adjustable to tune the shooting characteristics of your bow, can be attached and pulled off with the FDS straps at the stand without effecting point of impact due to the adjustable mounting positions.  Kind of like getting the convenience of bow quiver for the walk in with the luxury of a free bow once you get to the stand.

3) Side or back quiver of your liking - will free up your bow and possibly allow you to carry lots of arrows. The downside is that you don't have the convenience of a bow quiver.

For what it's worth.  I use my Dual Arc for hunting unless I'm going out with the possibility of small game hunting and/or heavy stumping if they aren't moving.  Then I'll take a my Dual Arc with heads for game and my back quiver with heads for stumping.  When I do this, I usually start to become bugged by lots of straps across my chest so I'll leave the pack at home and just carry my quiver and binoculars.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
EFA with Totem is my prefered but if you plan on removing it while on stand it has Velcro which of coarse sounds like a train wreck. Big Jim and Kanati would be my choice if removal was in order as they incorporate a rubber strap.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I'll second the Kanati Dual Arc if you want to take it off, the EFA if you want light and leave it on.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
The Thunderhorn Mini-Boa works for me... Fits well on my Kanati, Hummingbird and Shrew longbows...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
solo or one arrow quiver on bow.
Cat quiver on back

Ive tried then all and like a back quiver better than anything else.
Slickhead

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I've tried just about everything over the years. Back quiver, catquiver, side quiver, Gfa style, possibles bag with quiver attached, bow quiver.
I keep ending up with the bow quiver for the best for me. Arrows are always with the bow, quick for a second shot if needed, helps steady the bow a bit. In pure function I like it the best and the Thunderhorn I prefer is also nice looking. I shoot with it on all the time and don't see any point in removing one when in a stand.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Jack Bowers side quiver.  look down and easily see a blunt when desired, or keep the broadheads in the center and a blunt to each side and find them by touch.

Pull from the side when walking or the top when hung in a tree beside you.

Use a foam plug and carry six or seven broadheads quietly or remove the plug abd carry 18 blints for roving or stumping.  A very hand and versitile quiver.  In the rain put a polarfleece cover (comes with the quiver) over the fletch.  

Easy to crawl under brush (carry it level tucked under your elbow) or out of the way pushed up onto your back.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©