3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great news for hunting and archery.  (Read 261 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great news for hunting and archery.
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
I've posted some general hunter information AND traditional equipment sale data below. I hope this is Pow Wow worthy.

I'm at a 4-day conference this week in Dallas.  For the first time in nearly 20 years hunter numbers are up in the just released 5-year USFWS hunter survey.  In fact, hunter numbers are up 9%!

Also, bowhunter numbers are climbing nicely -- up from 3,000,000 in 2000 to 4.5 million now.  They've accelerated very rapidly the past 5 years.

Also heard from some BIG distributors and bow makers this week. Youth sales are through the roof!  Some are up over 200%.  I asked about trad equipment.  Youth are buying recurves in noticeable numbers causing an overall increase in recurve sells.

Also, Federal Excise Taxes on firearms, bullets, bows, certain accessories and arrows were $555 million in 2012 this is $70 million higher then ever on record.

Folks, hunting ain't dead!

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great news for hunting and archery.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the update. Promising news for a change!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
Good info- especially about youth sales!.  

I think though the excise tax increases though are majorily due to the huge boom in firearm and ammo sales in response to the president's apparent end run around the 2nd ammendment to give  the UN control over weapons?? And for a couple years now various Federal agencies buying up millions of rounds of ammo - which many see as a back door effort to control firearms- if you can't get the guns out of people's hands limit how much shooting they can do?

I've been hearing anecdotal stories about the gun shops here I metro Atlanta enjoying just unprecedented sales in the last couple of years
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
Ray,
You are definitely correct that the increase in FET is mostly due to other than bow and arrow sales.  In fact the biggest spikes have been 2009 ($485 million) and 2012. Archery FET has gone from $28 million to about $44 million.

By the way, those hunter and bowhunter numbers DON"T include hunters under age 16!  This a huge number that goes uncounted.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
Both informative and positive news.

Thank you for sharing.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
How much of that archery increase is due to recent legalization of unmentionable equipment?

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
That is excellent news, I know my 4H classes are growing, we are up to 71 kids and that is one county in one state. Several other counties in Kansas are showing the same trend. Allot of kids (girls especially) come in because of the movie hunger games and then stay because they find they really enjoy it. Whatever the cause I'm glad to see it.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Spot on Ray....

Don't get caught with your quiver empty ....

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
I would bet very small % of the increase in archery sales is due to crossguns. I would also wager that archery related movies and programs like NASP, Afterschool Archery and 4H archery would account for where most of these new archers are getting their start.
Thanks for the info Roy!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Great information to know. It really shows how important hunting is to wildlife management. also, the economic lift to the country.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Ray is correct.

Part of the "progressive" agenda is to dismantle the US Constitution so that it places far fewer limits on the authority of the federal government. I used to live in Illinois, and I remember then-Senator Obama stating that he thought the American constitution as a document that said "what government couldn't do" was outdated and needed to be replaced. It is my impression that most current "progressives" share his view.

The 2nd Amendment is one target, likewise the 10th Amendment and the 1st Amendment -- all parts of our Bill of Rights.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Since we are going down that road the dis mantling of the bill of rights started long before Obama. The biggest hit was the  Homeland Securities Act. We as a people gave up way to many freedoms that we will probably never get back.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
The Hunger Games is actually having big impact on kids.  I know of several wanting bows as a result.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Let's keep this thread in line with the original post or the mods will make it disappear. While I don't disagree with your political statements AT ALL, I think we need to celebrate this success as a step in the right direction rather than let it devolve into a political discussion.

No offense intended to anyone.

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Naaa,your right
Getting the kids involved with the outdoors is the key. It's fun to watch a kid go from first shot to hitting the target. I wish I had a picture of each kids face when they do. Even if they never hunt. They have a good time.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks so much for the update. We have noticed higher sales this year aswell. I think record sales are due partially to the recent bow related movies. Thanks again for the update.
Mike

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
I agree with Texas Recurve. There have been a couple of shows with bows and Kids think they are cool now. whatever it takes I say to get a kid started.
  As Ray mentioned all the "small" gunshops around the small town I live in have sold a lot of guns the last 4 years. Way more than in the past.A buddy that owns a very small local shop sez he will pay a lot of his bills from the Christmas rush this year. He said he is selling a lot of handguns to ladies but also a lot of single barrel shotguns for kids as well as the small "cricket" youth rimfire.Most all the local wma`s have parent child hunts now that are well attended. Our DNR here in Ga. seem to know that growth helps keep their jobs I believe.Its good. RC

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Hunger Games.  I have students every day ask if I can make them a bow.  Got a backlog to work on.  Good stuff.
Silence is golden.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
I notice these numbers were for over 16 year olds for the 9% increase so I did some research and found this interesting related article.
 http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/12/hunting_by_liberal_urban_locavores_is_a_trend_good_for_the_environment.html

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Just goes to show that if you look close enough there just might be a reason to get along with someone that you thought you never could.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©